JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Eagle » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Snippet from a recent Q&A with James Pearce of The Athletic.

Does Jordan Henderson get a new deal or will he leave this/next summer? (Tahir I)

I certainly don’t see a situation where Henderson leaves this summer. What happens beyond then is unclear. Ideally, he would have had a new contract sorted going into the new season but, as The Athletic revealed recently, talks over an extension just haven’t progressed. It’s a tricky one and I can see it from both sides. Henderson’s current deal takes him up to the age of 33 in 2023. The reality for Liverpool is that they have bigger priorities currently – underlined by securing Trent Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho and Alisson on new contracts over the past week.

But Henderson has been so crucial to the success Liverpool have enjoyed in recent years and I still believe he’s got so much to offer at the highest level. Sometimes there’s so much focus on his leadership that his qualities as an elite midfielder are overlooked. I’d love to see him stay at Anfield until the day he hangs up his boots.

What I would say is that for Henderson, this isn’t about money, this is about feeling wanted. He wants Liverpool to see him as still being absolutely integral to the team beyond 2023. Clearly, what’s currently on the table doesn’t suggest that’s the case. It’s going to be interesting to see how things develop.
Eagle

Postby Penguins » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:42 pm

It would be madness signing a 33 year old to a multiyear  7-8 million salary
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:10 pm

Remember Milner had to had a pay cut on a declining basis over a new contract simply based on age. I'm sure Hendo would have to accept the economic reality of the situation as well.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:08 am

Which is why there is no rush whatsoever to sign a new deal. He's 31 and it's 2 years! until it runs out.
Just do as they did with Milner. Wait until 6 month is left and offer a cheap 1 year deal.
If he wants to stay fine, if he wats to be PAID let him leave.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:11 am

I tend to agree, if we start handing out bumper 4 or 5 year contracts to every thirty-something who has done well for us in the past we'll just eventually end up with a bunch of players who we wont be able to move on who can't cut the mustard anymore. Not to mention an eye watering wage bill.
The Milner model seems fair to me - existing contract runs until they are 32/33 and then assess it on a yearly basis subject to form and fitness.
Yes the likes of Hendo have given the club great service but they have also been ridiculously well paid for that service, these guys earn more in one single week than most people earn in 4 or 5 years, I love football but at the end of the day it's a sport, a glorified game, there are intelligent, talented and hard working professionals out there who actually save lives every day like heart surgeons and neuro-surgeons who earn a tiny fraction of what footballers earn on a week by week basis. Footballers need to get real. LFC have probably pumped 50 million quid into Hendo's bank account over the past decade and now there are reports that he'll feel 'unloved' and 'unappreciated' if he's not offered a lucrative long term deal? Give me an effin break.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:28 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:11 am wrote:I tend to agree, if we start handing out bumper 4 or 5 year contracts to every thirty-something who has done well for us in the past we'll just eventually end up with a bunch of players who we wont be able to move on who can't cut the mustard anymore. Not to mention an eye watering wage bill.
The Milner model seems fair to me - existing contract runs until they are 32/33 and then assess it on a yearly basis subject to form and fitness.
Yes the likes of Hendo have given the club great service but they have also been ridiculously well paid for that service, these guys earn more in one single week than most people earn in 4 or 5 years, I love football but at the end of the day it's a sport, a glorified game, there are intelligent, talented and hard working professionals out there who actually save lives every day like heart surgeons and neuro-surgeons who earn a tiny fraction of what footballers earn on a week by week basis. Footballers need to get real. LFC have probably pumped 50 million quid into Hendo's bank account over the past decade and now there are reports that he'll feel 'unloved' and 'unappreciated' if he's not offered a lucrative long term deal? Give me an effin break.

+1
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:19 pm

Milner wasn't a first 11 player let alone captain of the club so it's not a like for like comparison.

But there is no room for sentiment if we want to keep on challenging for trophies. From Hendo's perspective, he wants to get as big a contract as possible before his influence begins to decline. From our perspective he's tied down until 33 and we've already got more than value out of him. He is also coming back from a not insignificant surgery. We don't need to wait until he enters the final 6 months of his contract but at the same time signing him on an extension now that takes him to 34 or 35 with a pay rise makes no sense. I'd see how he goes this year with a view to giving him an 1 year extension towards the end of the season if he stays out of the treatment room and has a good season.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:32 pm

https://twitter.com/GeirJordet/status/1 ... HcgQVTaBVw

Our leader. Attention to detail leads to success.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:10 pm

Big impact from Hendo coming on as substitute in last nights Benfica game. Took control, clamed things down, steered the ship. Again.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:05 pm

He was atrocious last night. Just killed any momentum every chance he got. Elliot comes on and instantly tries to up the pace in midfield. Fast running, looking for one twos and finding angles to create space but Capt safe just kept knocking it sideways and backwards. Even in the final minutes he is waving the hands about to pump up the lads and starts handing off sideways passes.

I said in one of the other threads that he is worth more to the squad than Keita and I still stand by that but he needs binning as well.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:18 am

He has never been stellar or a silky player but he gave energy and intensity, unfortunately for us he looks to have gotten a lot worse with the addition of no energy and intensity.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:22 am

He has never been stellar or a silky player but he gave energy and intensity and that made up for things, unfortunately for us he looks to have gotten a lot worse with the addition of no energy and intensity. He actually stopped a Trent goal when the ball hit his head on the way to goal. He should have known where the ball was headed and cleared the path, it was comical in a non funny way  :glare:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:59 pm

2 and a half more years. Is going to get ugly....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:43 pm

Lol, when setting up for that free kick he was at the edge of the wall trying to create space that side but then runs into that space after the kick is taken  :laugh:

He has had some career here though. Captain of a massive club and has won the lot. Never would have thought that when we signed him but his time at this level has come to an end.  He played full game V Palace so be interesting to see if that has a knock on effect in the next few weeks.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Tue May 09, 2023 3:13 pm

It's a real shame we gave him a 4 year contract when he was 31. His contract was due to expire this summer and it would have been ideal letting him leave this summer on a bosmon at the age of 33. People have been taking digs at Fabinho all season but Henderson has been worse. His body has completely gone and he's almost a non-factor off the ball. He's got 2 more years on his contract but he can't be in our starting 11 next year.
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion