Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Eagle » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:08 am

Phillips' heading ability and the fact he's a British player from our academy clouds people's judgement. He's rash and easily beaten. Kabak is the better player but I don't think his potential is any greater than being a decent 4th choice. 18mil isn't a lot nowadays and he's worth that but we must have one eye on long term replacements for van Djik and Matip who will both turn 30 over the summer. I can see us going into next season with 5 CBs as players coming off major surgery like Gomez and van Djik often pick up niggles and muscle injuries. Konate sounds an interesting one as it seems he has a lot of the raw ingredients to be a top CB which is something I don't think Kabak has.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Sat May 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Nah I just think Phillip's is as good Mate and even though 18 mil isnt a lot nowadays I think we would be better off using that money elsewhere rather than on a 4th choice player.

A lot of links going around about that Bissouma lad from Brighton.
It's a strange one as the lad is pretty much a defensive player. Dont think that's necessarily a priority position myself but wonder if it's so Fab can drop back without disrupting the midfield.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 pm

If we're looking to pick off players from relegated clubs we could do a lot worse than Berge. From what I've seen he looks like he should be player for a club in Europe and £35mil will end up being a good bit of business for somebody. With van Djik, Matip and Fabinho all out at once at times this season, it did highlight that we're not the biggest team, so Berge would give us another lanky lad. He carries the ball really well and has a good passing range. Although we are a bit packed in midfield even with Gini leaving so a signing like this is unlikely to be a priority.

Sander Berge: Arsenal and Everton consider bid for Sheff Utd midfielder as release clause reduced to £35m

Berge arrived at Sheff Utd from Genk in January last year and has three years remaining on his contract at Bramall Lane; the Blades' relegation to the Championship has lowered the midfielder's release clause to £35m which has put a host of clubs on high alert

Arsenal and Everton lead a host of teams considering a summer transfer bid for Sheffield United midfielder Sander Berge.

A number of top European clubs are also known to be keen on the Norway international, who returned to competitive action on Sunday after more than four months out with a hamstring injury.

Sky Sports News understands the Blades are planning to keep the majority of their present squad intact as they try to return to the Premier League at their first attempt.

However, United know they may struggle to keep hold of Berge, due to the number of top clubs keen to sign him.

United's relegation has also prompted a significant reduction in Berge's release clause - from £45m to £35m - only fuelling further interest in the player.

The versatile 23-year old has played as both a box-to-box and holding midfielder since his arrival from Genk in January 2020.

His injury came as the 6ft 4inch Scandinavian was playing his best football to date at Bramall Lane, with then manager Chris Wilder describing him as "our best player of the season so far by a country mile".

While Berge is happy to play anywhere across midfield, many believe his best position may eventually be in central defence.

A popular figure at Bramall Lane, Berge is happy at United, but believes his future will lie away from South Yorkshire.

Arsenal may have one advantage over their rivals for Berge, in their assistant manager, Albert Stuivenberg, who worked with him at Genk.

He said of Berge: "He is already very mature. He is intelligent, reads the game well, and takes the initiative. He has the potential to become a future leader."

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri May 07, 2021 4:40 pm

There is a good chance we will be sniffing around relegated clubs but any deals will be dependent on whether the club is willing to accept the payment structure we offer.  If there are other interested parties this will be a problem.

We just need about 3 new faces in the squad. A centre half, a mid and a fooking striker. We need to have that ability to kill games off and secure the points.

City are the team to beat and man have the chavs improved under Tuschel. Manure will be up there as well. We only had city to contend with for the last 2 seasons while those other 2 were on a manager merry go round but now they are serious competition again.

Signing players the manager wont play (like tsimikas) or players that will never push the starters for their place cant happen this year.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Fri May 07, 2021 6:07 pm

Think we have the CB sorted. Ibrahima Konate or Kabak. Or maybe both if we manage to find a buyer for Matip which I'd think is unlikely.

Not really sure what we're going to do in midfield. Numbers wise we are fine even with Gini leaving. The problem is that Klopp bought in Ox and Keita as midfielders who can break foward but we haven't made much use of them this season compared to last. Ox has been fit for 5 months but has barely had a kick. Keita was randomly chucked into a big game having not played for ages and hasn't been seen since. Both made good contributions last year but I think ideally we'd find a buyer for one and bring in a replacement but not sure how keen they'd be to leave unless a decent club comes in.

I reckon we'll be targeting another Jota level signing in attack to add to the 4 we already have with the likes of Origi and Wilson finding themselves perm moves hopefully.

I think Klopp needs to embrace rotation a little more and give squad players he's bringing into the club more of a chance to get some rhythm rather than chuck them in for 1 game and then sideline them for months. Rotation worked in midfield last year and we need to get back to that and also extend that to the fullbacks and attackers.
Eagle

Postby redshade » Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 pm

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... e-20592426

Hope we ain't on this, I mentioned it before how poor his injury record is. Really hope this won't be another Keita situation. Very risky going for this lad.
Last edited by redshade on Sat May 15, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat May 15, 2021 6:08 pm

That could be the annual transfer saga in the making there  :laugh:

Anyway they still have to approach Leipzig with a bid so that's where it will run into problems if any. I had read reports yesterday that they would want most or all of the fee up front.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Sun May 16, 2021 12:43 pm

I'm guessing we'll get Konate wrapped up and announced soon after the season ends or soon after the end of the U21s Euro. And then it will be tumbleweed until August while we wait for clubs to come in for our players and Copa America and the Euros to end. Expecting the usual fume from our fans over June and July!
Eagle

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 17, 2021 12:05 am

We need to shift a few players on.

Keita, Ox, Shaq and Origi all need to go. I'd be tempted to try and cash in on Philips, too.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu May 20, 2021 1:02 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu May 20, 2021 4:02 pm

Kewell - cashing in on the only reliable defender we have seems a tad hasty. I think the lad is improving and gaining in confidence. Would probably be even better alongside VVD.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu May 20, 2021 8:12 pm

Yeah hes a good player. Being watching him over the last 2 years and think he would fit right in here.

Brendan meet Naby  :D  Naby this is Brendan  and you already know Alex so take your pick  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 20, 2021 8:55 pm

devaney » Thu May 20, 2021 3:02 pm wrote:Kewell - cashing in on the only reliable defender we have seems a tad hasty. I think the lad is improving and gaining in confidence. Would probably be even better alongside VVD.

He won't get a look in mate.

VVD will be back. Gomez will be back. And Matip will play 15-20 games. And on top of that we will probably sign  someone. 

The lad is in his mid-20s and will be 4th or 5th CB. Doesn't make sense to keep him.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri May 21, 2021 3:51 am

Surely it makes more sense to keep Nat over Matip? Joel's a cracking lad but we know he's injury prone and he's at the end of his career whereas Nat has 7 years in front of him.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill