CB Situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am

anyone NOT concerned about our CB injury situation? I am...Gomez is not the most rugged player. Imagine if HE gets injured as well. Klopp must do something... sign a stop gap in free agency. Otherwise it will put a great dent in our attempt to repeat as champions...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:31 am

Hey Mags, yes I'm concerned but I don't regret selling Lovren. Milner can drop back, maybe even Hendo for a couple of weeks. I don't think we need to panic however the bigger issue is that Matip is too fragile and not a medium term option, so if we're going to splash out, splash out big and sell Matip. But who'd want to come to LFC as no. 3 CB? Top players want to play regularly and be the stars of the team.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:07 am

A few sources reporting Fabinho injury not as bad as first feared.
From the Mirror
Jurgen Klopp has been offered a ray of hope in his current injury nightmare with news that Fabinho’s injury is not as serious as first feared.

The versatile Brazil international underwent a scan on Wednesday morning after limping out of the Champions League game against Midtjylland with what appeared a serious hamstring injury.

A grade-three tear would rule the midfielder out for up to six months and be a hammer blow for Klopp who is already without Virgil van Dijk.

But scans show it is not as serious, and only a grade one or two, which means he could well be back straight after the upcoming international break.

Such is the congestion of the fixture list, it would mean the Brazilian could still miss at least three matches - and big ones, too - with the Reds facing West Ham and Manchester City in the Premier League and a Champions League visit to Atalanta in between.

Klopp has few options for the visit of West Ham to Anfield on Saturday, with the manager revealing that Joel Matip may not be risked for the game, after only returning to light training this week.

But he hinted the big defender could be back next week, which would ease his worries.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:27 am

I read in the Mail that he will not make the City match, I hope they are wrong as we will need him
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:28 am

I read in the Mail that he will not make the City match, I hope they are wrong as we will need him
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:27 pm

Really vulnerable to those high balls. Gomez is very poor in the air, lately.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Reports Gomez has injured himself with England.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:23 pm

Yes, it's bad........

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1 ... 14375?s=24

Patella tendon apparently with Gomez. Worse than a break. Looking at up to 12 months.  :help
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Well, Klopp can say wtf he wants, the club MUST buy a new CB in January.
And if they don't the owners can ***** off...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Reg » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:23 pm wrote:Yes, it's bad........

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1 ... 14375?s=24

Patella tendon apparently with Gomez. Worse than a break. Looking at up to 12 months.  :help

:no
This is not good, especially given Matip’s injury record. Luckily the transfer window isn’t that far off, by the time the players return from this international break there will only be 4 or 5 weeks till the window opens. The club needs to get its @rse into gear now so a new CB arrives on Jan the 1st not the 29th or something.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:37 pm

That's awful news and a big blow for us. It's made slightly worse because it happened on international duty  :down: . Hopefully Fab is back after the break and Matip stays fit.

Agree with the sentiment that January's window cant come quick enough and as Yakka said we need to act now in order to bring someone in on the 1st.  None of this "player we want isn't available" or "clubs know were desperate so trying to rob us" spin that has been served up before. 

Unfortunately this is the way some seasons can go with injuries and we have been fortunate the last 2 seasons. Karma is such a bitch   :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:36 am

We've always had injuries in our back line.. But Virgil was the one that never got injured so it wasn't so obvious. Matip and Gomez have got horrendous injury records and Trent and Robbo are always out 4/5 games a season injured.

We should have signed a CB to replace Lovren, but you can't predict this kind of thing happening. We need to get to January as quick as we can without losing many points, and then hopefully sign a CB to save the season.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:51 am

Second time Gomez's been injured on England duty (third if you include Sterling scratching him). The first injury was due to Southgate overplaying him and cost him half a season. Ludicrous to be playing these games when the players are being asked to play every 3-4 days.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:37 am

UvS xR4GEx » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 pm wrote:We've always had injuries in our back line.. But Virgil was the one that never got injured so it wasn't so obvious. Matip and Gomez have got horrendous injury records and Trent and Robbo are always out 4/5 games a season injured.

We should have signed a CB to replace Lovren, but you can't predict this kind of thing happening. We need to get to January as quick as we can without losing many points, and then hopefully sign a CB to save the season.

True, as you say we have always had injuries in our back line but these are 2 particularly bad injuries and not to just any old defender but to our 2 starting CB’s.
The club needs to get the chequebook out and make a statement signing, a stop gap won’t be good enough, when you are out with an injury that takes the best part of 12 months to heal you don’t hit the ground running as soon as you return, this new guy is going to have to be the lynchpin of our defence for at least 12 months, probably more like 18 months and that’s assuming Virgil and Joe will make a complete recovery, look at Ox.
I know he’s 29 and would cost a few bob but I’d be tempted to go for someone like Koulibaily, because reading the game is such a big part of being a CB defenders are often at their best in their early 30’s and can play at a high level until well into their mid 30’s, if we signed him in January we’d get at least 4 good years out of him which is quite a long time in football terms.
Plus given the trophies we are aiming to win (premier league and CL)  and given this new guy has got to walk through the door and be a rock from minute 1 buying a young player won’t cut it imo. A lot of our most influential players like Salah, Mane, Hendo, Thiago etc are in their prime now, they can’t afford to hang around 3 or 4 years waiting for someone to develop, we need a ready made replacement for Virgil and imo Koulibaily is that man.
Not to mention when Virgil does return a VVD/Koulibaily CB partnership with both of them in their early 30’s prime would be something else.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Penguins » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:41 pm wrote:Well, Klopp can say wtf he wants, the club MUST buy a new CB in January.
And if they don't the owners can ***** off...

Still on the crusade against the owners I see
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion