Heading into February what would you consider a success ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 pm

We are over the half way point now and unless JK pulls off 4 or 5 top world class performers in the next 3 days (which ain't gonna happen) then i think it is failry certain we will not be getting a top 4 finish this season

There is way too much ground now for us to make up and we are way to inconsistent to get there, especially with the teams above and around us doing well also

For me, being realistic about what we can and cannot achieve for the rest of the season i would be happy with a cup (the league cup looks the most likely at this point), we are still in the FA Cup and Europa League AND to finish above the scum, they are so bad it's beyond belief and how on earth they have done done the double over this season beggars belief, well if it were not for De Gea things would have been different

So for me, a trophy and to finish above the scum and i will be reasonably happy, all things considered

I still think JK is using the whole of this season to see everything he has on the books, he will persist trying with the players he has, he will try out the youth players and then come the summer i think he will really put his stamp on things, dead wood out and his players in
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby number 8 ynwa » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Im really hoping that he brings somebody in soon (as in the next couple of days) as our weaknesses are glaringly obvious.

If we do not bring in a new CB I can only think that whoever he is after is not available until the summer!

I still think anything less than top 6 will be considered a poor season
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:30 am

This is a transitional season with a new manager in charge. But we've got too many transitional seasons already due to us selling one of the best players in the world and replacing him with Balotelli.

I'd be happy with any kind of silverware to be honest. Champions league is gone. Would be happy with a Europa cup place. Would be delighted if we won the FA cup. Would be over the moon if we won the Europa league as that would give us a passage to Champions league. No disrespect to C-R (he's been awesome) but I don't give a flying feck about our relative position to the mancs. Doesn't mean anything. We only need to look at ourselves and assess ourselves.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:25 am

Any blame for a poor season should go to FSG for the backlog of utter ***** brought into this club, questionable management, poor scouting, sheer naivety in building a squad with average players who are expected to compete  etc... etc...

Jurgen just got on board so finishing mid-upper table and a good cup run is more than we should expect from this season given the injury riddled squad we have right now.
killerp

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Top 6 finish and a cup win would be a good start, given the problems with injuries and lack of quality in certain areas of the squad.

Our scouting system needs a huge overhaul though....too many average players and too much money has changed hands these past 3-4 years and something has to be done. However, bringing in Klopp is a huge step in the right direction and I applaud FSG for that. Over the summer we'll see Klopp bringing in his own players and some more backroom staff as he looks to make significant changes.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:04 pm

A cup would be a success and league wise im mot expecting anything at all so if its outside top 4 anywhere really, doesnt matter.

Only way we can get anywhere near top 4 is buying now and big and hoping it clicks.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:14 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:43 am wrote:Top 6 finish and a cup win

Ditto ^^^^

A bit concerned that so many of us seem to be thinking we'll suddenly be transformed into a top four/title challenging side when   "come the summer Klopp will bring in his own players"

Just how many players do we think Jurgen will need to sign to effect this change ?

I reckon it will take at least 5 maybe 6 quality signings to make any immediate change in our status/success

Come the summer I don't think Jurgen will have the money available to sign more than 2 players of the quality required to make a significant change to our success.

Unless FSG surprise us and give Klopp a massive war chest I think given the limited resources that I expect will be drip fed to him we've gotta accept that it'll take more than two or three transfer windows for Klopp to really build a team he can call his own.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:57 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:14 pm wrote:

Ditto ^^^^

A bit concerned that so many of us seem to be thinking we'll suddenly be transformed into a top four/title challenging side when   "come the summer Klopp will bring in his own players"

Just how many players do we think Jurgen will need to sign to effect this change ?

I reckon it will take at least 5 maybe 6 quality signings to make any immediate change in our status/success

Come the summer I don't think Jurgen will have the money available to sign more than 2 players of the quality required to make a significant change to our success.

Unless FSG surprise us and give Klopp a massive war chest I think given the limited resources that I expect will be drip fed to him we've gotta accept that it'll take more than two or three transfer windows for Klopp to really build a team he can call his own.

I'd like to think we'd be able to mount a serious league challenge within 2 seasons. Get back into the top 4 next season, pick up some cups along the way and take the league the season after.

Although our squad is flawed, I don't think it's half as bad as some make out. A good keeper, defensive midfielder and a 20+ season striker would sort this mess out. We've already got a defender and centre mid sorted for the summer, so I expect Klopp to bring in 2 or 3 more in the summer.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:45 am

Although our squad is flawed, I don't think it's half as bad as some make out. A good keeper, defensive midfielder and a 20+ season striker would sort this mess out. We've already got a defender and centre mid sorted for the summer, so I expect Klopp to bring in 2 or 3 more in the summer.[/quote]

Where the hell do you find 20+ goal striker that we can actually get! We either are not fancied by the player or we simply can't afford them. The only players we seem to find are those that are second rate or have a serious defect.

If you roll Sturridge over I'm sure it says "made in China" on his back.
killerp

Postby Penguins » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:47 pm

I agree.
Except that season where we had that 20+ goalscorer in Suarez we have finished out side the top 4 for 5 seasons.
You just don't magically get in a couple of world class players just like that. Just like woof said I don't think Klopp will be given more funds than to bring a couple of quality players in the summer.
That will be probably not be enough to break the top 4 next season. We are actually quite far away this season, not been really close. Which suggest to me that it won't be that easy to close the gap.

If we are 5 pts better off + 10 goal diff next season I'd see that as good progress.
We have so much good mid table dross in our squad it isn't even funny.
Buying Sunderland's, Villa's, Southampton's best etc will get you exactly where we are, mid table.
Rodgers was just atrocious in the market and practically never went outside of England which is a recipe for disaster.

It's no coincidence that players with most class that has come on the field of Anfield are Coutinho, Firmino, Suarez, all signed from clubs on the continent.
And that out biggest flops are Caroll, Benteke etc. Players bought from midtable clubs.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby SkippyRed » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:03 am

woof woof ! » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:14 am wrote:

Ditto ^^^^

In his first transfer window with Dortmund he brought in 13 new players and sold 17.

Depending on the budget I expect him to bring in some fairly good players and some squad players.

Heading into February, as I have thought, we won't sign anyone of note so the season is a write off. I don't care about the position in the league, winning a trophy would be nice. Getting Sturridge fit would be better.

This is just a giant pre-season for Klopp.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion