Liverpool 0-1Aston Villa

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:49 am

If Skrtel is fit then BR may have a selection problem after we kept our first clean sheet this season with a Lovren/Sakho Partnership.

Not sure if Sturridges absence from the Switzerland game is a precaution but wouldnt have thought so as its a qualifier.

Hopefully Gerrard will be well rested after not playing for Enlgand so can comman that midfield.

I would keep the back 4 the same and give them some confidence. I would give Hendo a rest as well so we c an see Can from the start plus Hendo will probably play alot Vs swiss

Mignolet
Manquillo                                        Lovren                           Sakho                    Moreno

Gerrard                Can

Sterling                                                              Markovic       

Coutinho

Balotelli

I think we should comfortab;ly beat them especially if Vlaar is a doubt
Last edited by LFC1990 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:17 pm

If Sturridge is not available then I'd play Lambert and keep the shape of the side. If Sturridge is available then I wouldnt change a thing.
I suspect Sturridge will sit this one out regardless of whether hes able to start or not as a precaution. I also think that we'll change the shape of the side for this one to try and minimize the danger of Villa hitting us on the break. I'd expect one upfront and 3 behind him all pressing Villa from deeper positions. We'll probably look to score early and then play more of a possession game than what we have been accustomed to towards the end of last season and the beginning of this one.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:19 am

If Daniel and Jordan are out then i would start with Mario as the only striker and pack the MF (we have tons of talent their) i would be tempted to play Marco and Lallana and keep coutinho on the bench ,if we want to protect Gerrad then i'll go for Allen before Can.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Gerrard is a crab these days so you need real athleticism beside him, don't get me wrong Emre Can is no slouch but you really need a Henderson type who can do the work of two men to partner Gerrard.
And although we kept a clean sheet last week I think that was more down to luck than particularly good defending, I'd put Skrtel back in there myself, we looked a bit steadier when he was next to Lovren.
I'd love to see Brendan give Gerrard a rest and go with something like this -

Mingolet

Manquillo         Skrtel              Lovren               Moreno

Henderson           Lallana

Sterling               Coutinho                Markovic

Balotelli
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Villa have actually started the season quite well, they are third in the table and haven't lost a game yet. They won away at Stoke first game of the season, drew against Newcastle and then beat Hull at home.
They have got a decent record against us as well, in fact our record at Anfield against them over the last 5 years reads - P5 W1 L2 D2

2009/10   Liverpool 1 - 3 Aston Villa
2010/11   Liverpool 3 - 0 Aston Villa
2011/12   Liverpool 1 - 1 Aston Villa
2012/13   Liverpool 1 - 3 Aston Villa
2013/14   Liverpool 2 - 2 Aston Villa

Hope the lads aren't complacent about this one, this lot have probably got as good a record at Anfield as anyone else in recent years. Bit of a bogey team on the sly.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:22 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:16 pm wrote:Villa have actually started the season quite well, they are third in the table and haven't lost a game yet. They won away at Stoke first game of the season, drew against Newcastle and then beat Hull at home.
They have got a decent record against us as well, in fact our record at Anfield against them over the last 5 years reads - P5 W1 L2 D2

2009/10   Liverpool 1 - 3 Aston Villa
2010/11   Liverpool 3 - 0 Aston Villa
2011/12   Liverpool 1 - 1 Aston Villa
2012/13   Liverpool 1 - 3 Aston Villa
2013/14   Liverpool 2 - 2 Aston Villa

Hope the lads aren't complacent about this one, this lot have probably got as good a record at Anfield as anyone else in recent years. Bit of a bogey team on the sly.

So even with Suarez we could not beat them?  :wwww ... that's a worry..
killerp

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:00 pm

we seem far better away v villa then at home.

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:44 pm

They won't have Benteke on Saturday which is a bit of a relief, he always seems to play well at Anfield. I remember one particular goal he scored where our defence just parted like the Red Sea in front of him. I hope we don't see any repeats of that type of defending the weekend.
I hope Hendo hasn't suffered any ill effects from that knock he picked up on England duty as well, with the likes of Delph and Westwood in the middle this crowd are grafters themselves and we'll need to put a shift in to beat them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:00 am

Villa are always tough for us, we struggled against them even last season in both fixtures. It won't be a walk in the park that's for sure.

However, Brendan admitted last time that it was his fault that we didn't win, that he was too arrogant and underestimated them, so I doubt that he'll do the same mistake twice. Infact, I expect him to fire up the boys for this one.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:11 pm

From BR's pre match new conference

Sturridge out for up to 3 weeks. Emre Can out for up to 6 weeks. Allen has a knee issue, no time frame....

Skrtel still out but will rejoin training on Sunday. Johnson and Flanagan still out. Lallana fit.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:32 pm

why is can out

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:19 pm

he did is ankle in germany u21 match, BR was not happy about it in his press conference, he commented that the germans were 6 nil up at the time and Can stayed on
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Sh*t, if Hendo got injured that would have been the end of us. Brendan has every right to be angry about all these injuries. Thankfully, Lallana is 100% fit so hopefully he can replace Allen if needed.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:33 pm

with all those missing we potentially have a very technical lineup ready to play ,Marco/Lallana/Coutino pretty interesting.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 pm

damjan193 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:32 pm wrote:Sh*t, if Hendo got injured that would have been the end of us. Brendan has every right to be angry about all these injuries. Thankfully, Lallana is 100% fit so hopefully he can replace Allen if needed.

It also shows how shrewd out transfer policy was this summer.

Opting to invest in adding strength and depth to the squad as a whole instead of signing two big name players for the same money.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games