Haze Situation in Malaysia and Singapore

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Reg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:48 am

We had good rain yesterday afternoon that cleared things for a bit then when I got up in the night I could smell smoke all over the house again.  Its not too bad this morning, comparable with previous years. The official reading is 60 but someone's messing with the figures because it's way worse than that, maybe 120-150? Not as bad as its been though for sure.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 am

babu » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm wrote:
laza » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 am wrote:And all for Palm oil plantations

Why won't anyone think of the orang un tans

Laza, I understand and appreciate the sentiment. But this issue is not caused by primary forest deforestation. The fires are started to clear mature low yield palm.

If the plantation or plot is properly managed, there is no reason for this to happen. In fact there is a good market for the pulp of low yielding trees to be used in biofuel.

unfortunately, small holders don't have the upfront capital, training, or incentive to go down this route.

Well Babu mate I could say that was there before plantations as deforestation occurs around thr world in name of development. However I was actually specifically thinking of those loveable primates i had breakfast at excellent Singapore Zoo last August win.

Anyway I hope there are  clearer skies in your part of world and the little one is feeling better
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks Laza, she's fine now.

Not sure about Singapore zoo, but the zoo over here, the animals have been very restless. But like Reg says, its getting better.

But since the dry season is 2-3 months it may come back.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum