Roy's Liverpool - How's it Evolving? - Set Up, Tactics, In-Depth Footy Chat

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:59 pm

I honestly believe we're turning a corner, but it remains to be seen if it's enough. The Chelsea match will be a big test, and if we get a result against them then we'll be in the top 6. No one in the league is really firing on all cylinders at the moment and (admittedly I’m going off to dream land here) if we strung together 12 wins we’d be in the top 3 and chasing the leaders.

However, if we lose to Chelsea then they’re clear favourites to run away with the title in my opinion,…but a man can dream that we will challenge  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Whilst nobody can say we are playing well, or with confidence, two wins on the bounce were essential, and have made a huge difference to the whole club.

It is very strange that we*could* win on Sunday, and that would put us right back where most of us probably thought we'd be this season, ie top 6, pushing for top 4.

Now the chances of winning against Chelsea are slim granted, but stranger things have happened, and we are notorious for raising our game against the bigger sides...

Arsenal at home, should have won all 3 points, United away, fantastic come back, and could easily have got a point or even won it.

If we avoid defeat on Sunday we may be in a position where the season isn't that far away from our expectations for a transitional season (new manager, new owners), and that creates its own problems.

Do we get rid of Roy despite the rally, or do we avoid the instability of a change and see what happens by xmas?  Critically will the owners trust Roy with whatever money they are willing to spend in January?

Roy is still Roy, which for me so far has meant poor tactics, dreadful press conferences and a seemingly complete lack of understanding of the club.  But to be fair, he has got 6 points from two tricky games, and with a win against Chelsea could secure his role for the forseeable.

It is amazing how quickly things can turn around, and imagine if we won the next two or three on the bounce!!   :D

Too late for a title challenge? ???    :wwww
mkingdom

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Interesting article on our change of tactics under Hodgson.

Chalkboards - how Liverpool are playing different at both ends of the pitch

Two telling chalkboards that illustrate how Liverpool's playing style has evolved (can it be called evolution if it's for worse?) since last season.

Reina's going the direct route (under instruction) a lot more to try and look for Torres; and failing to find him more often that not. No surprise given Torres is neither used to, nor very good at, winning aerial changes around the halfway line, especially with little support around him.

A look at Nando's passing chalkboard reveals how much more time he spent around or behind the half-way line compared to last year. Could that be the reason why he struggled to have an impact on the game rather than the fact that he can't be arsed or has just lost his touch? Just a crazy thought!

No coincidence that the one moment of brilliance that won the game came around the edge of the box, not at the half-way line.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:14 pm

aftre yesterday it just reaffirms to me that we should have a look at playing 4-3-3 in some games. mereiles was outstanding yesterday and lucas and gerrard have probably been our two best outfield players this season. those three as a central three would be formidabble if given a run of games imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Like a square turd rolling uphill

edit- misread the topic title as "how's it revolving?"

Answer is still the same though :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:56 pm

stmichael wrote:aftre yesterday it just reaffirms to me that we should have a look at playing 4-3-3 in some games. mereiles was outstanding yesterday and lucas and gerrard have probably been our two best outfield players this season. those three as a central three would be formidabble if given a run of games imo.

totally agree mate, i have said it for ages myself.

I also think it would suit Kuyt and Cole, even Babel when coming on.
That's the system the dutch play and also the one that Cole played with Chelsea when he had his best form.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Ive always liked the 4231 approach, if played right it can be VERY attacking, but also very defensive, the problem comes from playing too deep and the width problem. with players like Johnson and Insua though a 4 2 3 1 could be class with the players we have
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:03 pm

dawson99 wrote:Ive always liked the 4231 approach, if played right it can be VERY attacking, but also very defensive, the problem comes from playing too deep and the width problem. with players like Johnson and Insua though a 4 2 3 1 could be class with the players we have

not Insua...
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crim cram » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:07 pm

It was tough to form an opinion of the tactics from the West Ham match as they made it so easy for us.  At times we had nine players in their half and they didn't pressure the ball at all.  We just kept our spacing and moved off the ball.  Anything would have worked.  I don't think I've ever seen a softer display from a Premier League side.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
dawson99 wrote:Ive always liked the 4231 approach, if played right it can be VERY attacking, but also very defensive, the problem comes from playing too deep and the width problem. with players like Johnson and Insua though a 4 2 3 1 could be class with the players we have

not Insua...

no, or Konchesky.. Aurelio?

We need a left back whos awesome for my 4 2 3 1 to be awesome as well
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Think Hodgson is just ticking us over and we havent got a great deal worse nor improved. Way it shaping up we are the same animal as last year with what could be argued is worse group minus the influential Mascherano. Bottom line is you need good players to succeed and until we manage to really reshape this squad rather than just patching up holes it will probably continue to be hit and miss and on occasion be frustrated with events. Januarys massive for us and it wont be until then that we will have a glimpse of our intent and if we really have the managerial nouse and ambition to move forward as a unit.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Red-er-Dare » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:42 am

kazza wrote:Like a square turd rolling uphill

edit- misread the topic title as "how's it revolving?"

Answer is still the same though :D

:laugh:
Red-er-Dare

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Getting better...
:)
Thommo's perm