Roy's Liverpool - How's it Evolving? - Set Up, Tactics, In-Depth Footy Chat

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:48 am

I know it's early and all that...but I was just wondering if anyone could see much difference last night on their fag packet sized stream.

Although the opposition were absolute garbage, I suppose Roy deserves credit for getting that bunch of players, mostly the ones who were left behind with him and a few who trickled back from the World Cup and getting them to play reasonably well. If he's got any sense and I'm sure he has, he'll have been going round the dressing room afterwards, patting backs, "arm around the shouldering", schmoozing etc etc, trying his best to excell at a part of management which probably even Rafa's biggest fans would concede wasn't his strong point, but what of the set up?

Well for the Lucas/Masherano axis, read the Lucas/Spearing axis. Very little difference there exept Masherano is obviously a better player. I would venture that both got forward a fraction more, but it might well be my imagination. Certainly Lucas played better than usual, but then by definition he had more responsibility.

Defensively we still were in zones from set pieces, although they didn't have enough of them to really have a look at it On the left Jovanovic tucked in a lot (and did quite well to be truthful when we had it), and both hi and Amoo made us look maybe a fraction more compact than we're used to. Overall when we didn't have the ball if I'm honest, we looked even more defensive than under Rafa. Much of the time we just sat in and didn't even bother pressing the ball in their half, I don't think Roy would have got on too well with Momo Sissoko on this evidence.

Up top we still went with the one, with Aquilani off of him. The Italian certainly had license though License to go where he wanted when he wanted, and license not to tackle anybody either. I actually thought he did it very well (the going where he wanted bit) and looked the best player on the pitch in terms of quality, which he's entitled to.

Lastly, although we played with one up, we seemed to support him slightly better which must mean when we had it we sat a bit higher and once again were more compact.

All in all though, I'd challenge anybody to watch that game and spot any real glaring differences. No doubt they'll come.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:54 am

I don't think Roy has had time even to work in the most basic tactics, he's just arrived. So probably there are some automatisms like in the set pieces in which there will be some inertia from last season until he gives his personal touch.

Way too early to talk about differences.

Bad Bob commented in the game that it was interesting that Lucas was made captain. IMHO it's only interesting because Lucas, believe it or not, is one of the most veteran players at the team. I don't think that's a good thing.

I personally hope that Lucas proves me wrong and he makes an excellent season, but I've lost my trust in him. Simple he's had more time than 90% of footballers have availabale to show they're able to play in a big club, and he hasn't delivered.

As I say, I hope he proves me wrong big time, but a succesful Liverpool (second place, etc), must be a Liverpool without Lucas.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 am

I dont think there was much difference
Besides the lack of bullsh'it in interviews, no baffling, frustrating decisions and players and manager smiling.
Time will tell...
Thommo's perm

Postby metalhead » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:44 am

Mick mate, sorry to be rude but we can't compare the two yet, let's see how the season go and resemble them by then eh?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 am

metalhead wrote:Mick mate, sorry to be rude but we can't compare the two yet, let's see how the season go and resemble them by then eh?

You're not being rude mate at all. The thread is intended as an ongoing kind of mood poll. Clearly Roy hasn't had long with the players, so it was sensible not to change too much. Some managers would have come in and baffled the players, us and everyone else with some off the wall set ups, players playing out of position and all that stuff, whereas Roy kept it fairly simple from what I could see. He very largely stuck to a method which had been developed by Rafa.

My gues is that going forward we will see a trend towards his own style, which will I guess be different. This thread is for those that are interested in such things and how they develop (I know, I know :D).
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:02 am

I think maybe it is too early to compare the 2 managers but as you pointed out Mick maybe it will be what we didn't see which will have the bigger impact.

For Example:

The players would of come off the pitch at the end with David Ngog scoring 2 goals and Roy would of been putting his arm around Ngog saying you played Weally well son(sorry) and letting him know he's played a really good game as Rafa probabaly would of been pointing out how he was unhappy with his positioning in the 63rd minute or something like that.

The same going for all the team, Maybe Roy will have that about him with the "Share the success type attitude rather than only bring up the negative stuff all the time.

Good start anyway, It's quite funny that some of our reserve team are coming out with more credit this pre-season more than the last
roberto green

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 am

Yes it IS your imagination :laugh:

I don't know what to say bigmick... it's only one game and it certainly IS early...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:16 am

maguskwt wrote:Yes it IS your imagination :laugh:

I don't know what to say bigmick... it's only one game and it certainly IS early...

You should try watching the game Magus. I don't mean looking at it, I mean watching it.

People on here amaze me. If it's too early for you to see anything, too soon to consider such things as how we set up, what we do when we haven't got the ball, how we press etc etc then that's lovely. Why though is it a crime for somebody else to have a think aloud about it?

Just because a thread doesn't offer un an excuse to get the fake goatee on it doesn't by definition mean it's pointless.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:17 am

It's far too early to compare teams yet, especially after such mediocre opposition. Although Roy did mention the balance of the team was perfect thanks for Rafa. I guess maybe after the first 6 games or so we will have a decent idea as we have some tough few first games.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:18 am

i dont think anybody could blame him if he used the players in a similar formation to what they have been used too, its far to early for the new manager to install his own brand of football on them, he hasnt even had the chance to work with some of the players yet and where already playing competitive football, which isnt right, they either need to start the world cup/euro`s earlier or shorten the entrents into the Europa league, anyway thats my own take on things im sure over the coming months we`ll see Roy implement his own style. lets hope its a winning one
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 am

bavlondon wrote:It's far too early to compare teams yet, especially after such mediocre opposition. Although Roy did mention the balance of the team was perfect thanks for Rafa. I guess maybe after the first 6 games or so we will have a decent idea as we have some tough few first games.

There you go you see you CAN get the fake goatee on, even in this thread  :laugh:

Fecking hell you couldn't make it up.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 am

your "i know its early..." threads are getting earlier and earlier, mick. i'm looking forward to seeing the analysis of next preseason coming out before christmas. :D

i've got nothing of note to add, but did anyone catch hodgson's reactions to the goals? and if so, was he a watch checker, a fist pumper, or a wry smiler?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am

bigmick wrote:
bavlondon wrote:It's far too early to compare teams yet, especially after such mediocre opposition. Although Roy did mention the balance of the team was perfect thanks for Rafa. I guess maybe after the first 6 games or so we will have a decent idea as we have some tough few first games.

There you go you see you CAN get the fake goatee on, even in this thread  :laugh:

Fecking hell you couldn't make it up.

In the context of the thread those comments were perfectly acceptable. This is a thread about the team under Roy and Rafa respectively right? And the comments made by Hodgsen were in relation to the current balance of the team.

No need to get all bent out of shape.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:23 am

Bav he's gone mate, let it go.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:25 am

says the guy starting a thread comparing the two after one game, is it sunny in your world.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion