How is our "farm" system - Our abilities to recruit and raise up pl

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby policy » Tue May 10, 2005 1:39 am

I don't know anything about our farm system (our academy as well as scouting system), but does anyone have opinions?

Abrahamovich has his minions scour the known world for elite prospects and is farming them in CSKA Moscow and Corinthians, but what are we doing?

Rafa knows the Spanish market well, but are we not doing enough?
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby policy » Tue May 10, 2005 1:42 am

I know that we can't afford to do what Chelsea is doing, but there are so many friggin' players in the world that could be the next Robben or Lampard (I don't say Gerrard or Alonso because there are none like them :;): ) that he can't possibly horde them all.

A salary cap seems a way to neutralize what he is doing to some degree, but a salary cap doesn't seem likely to pass with the players associations and such.

The only way to compete against a stacked team like Chelsea is to just shop better and smarter.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby policy » Wed May 11, 2005 4:09 am

I feel that in order to have any shot at winning the League as well as winning other trophies next year, we need to be deeper at each position.

I dunno how many people we are allowed to have on the squad at any point of the season, but it would be nice to have 22 super quality players. Is that possible?

Why am I so concerned with this?

I would be glad to win the CL this year. But it would have been all the more sweet if we weren't behind Everton.

I am of the persuasion that if we had more high quality (and bargain) players, we could do better domestically because it is the long haul and really difficult to do well in Europe as well as conquer in 37 long and grueling matches in England (rougher, faster paced and injurious).

Yeah. Of course. This this is all common sense. But can any of you elite members let a guy know if we are doing our best or if we have become content?
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby policy » Wed May 11, 2005 8:12 am

For my next soliloquy, I shall wax poetic about the beauty of jazz music and its impact on the urban French music scene circa 1960. :blues:
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby bigmick » Wed May 11, 2005 8:16 am

policy wrote:For my next soliloquy, I shall wax poetic about the beauty of jazz music and its impact on the urban French music scene circa 1960. :blues:

Doctor doctor, everyone keeps ignoring me........ :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed May 11, 2005 8:25 am

policy wrote:For my next soliloquy, I shall wax poetic about the beauty of jazz music and its impact on the urban French music scene circa 1960. :blues:

Policy, since your post I have trawled the boards with my super-fast word searcher thingymebob and I have the pleasure of informing you that you are the first person to use the word soliloquy on the forum. Ever.

You do make a very fair point, but must be from down under or something because we were all in bed mate. I totally agree with you that this is an area which will become increasingly important in years to come. I even went as far as suggesting that in the futire, Head scouts will be almost as important as head coaches with global networks to rival Mossad when it comes to spotting a young player. We've definately been left behind in this area, though it is encouraging to hear of a young Argentinian recently trialing at Anfield. The South American market has traditionally been the nursery of the Spanish and Portuguese leagues and it's high time somebody stepped in over here.
It's important that we remember that even with the money we will earn from our Champions League exploits we are still massively out of depth in terms of transfer funds when compared to Chelsea (obviously) and Man U. Love him or loathe him, Wenger has shown that the only way to compete is to capitalize on the fact that you are inclined to give young players a go (which Rafa does) and go round the world and recruit/steal some of the best ones.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 11, 2005 9:35 am

I remember Mcmanamann, Redknapp(although purchased v.young) Fowler all coming through and then Owen, JC & SG (a few years later) coming through.

We haven't really had anyone come through as a first teamer since, Welsh, potter, Warnock etc have all dabbled a bit but none have really made the break through.

Are there any future stars in the youths at the moment?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion