Solo artists - Your favourite british solo artist?

Please post your Non football related Polls in this forum

Solo artists - Your favourite british solo artist?

Richard Ashcroft
No votes
Paul Weller
30%
Graham Coxon
No votes
Morrissey
30%
Ian Brown
10%
John Lennon
10%
Other (Please list)
20%

Total votes : 10

Postby 67-1161385641 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Richard Ashcroft born in 1971 in Greater Manchester was the front man of the band The Verve. The Verve have the infamous song "Bitter Sweet  Symphony" and Northern Soul which he dedicated to his friend Noel Gallagher, Ashcroft is also idolised by Coldplay's Chris Martin who referred to Ashcroft as the "the best singer in the world" at Live 8 last year. He released his third solo album "Keys to the World" in January this year and it reached #2 in the UK Charts.

Paul Weller born in 1958 was the creator and leader behind two very successful bands; The Jam and The Style Council. In the UK, Weller is seen as something of a national institution, because so much of his song writing is based on British culture. He has also become principle figure of the Mod revival (although he reluctantly is). Weller's lyric genius in his Solo career and in his band career with The Jam provided much influence over the 'Brit Pop' scene with Oasis and Blur being heavily influenced by Weller's work both on his own and with the Jam. He has such hits as "The Changingman" amongst others.

Graham Coxon born in 1961 is a singer- song writer, best known as the guitarist from Blur. Coxon is an accomplished musician who can play many instruments; he also plays many of the instruments used in his music rather like McCartney and Beck. He has received lots of praise from fellow peers who hold Coxon's musical ability in the highest regard; Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is most notable for his praise for Coxon's genius. Coxon has had six solo albums, which include Happiness in magazines and his newer album Love travels at Illegal speeds.

Morrissey, born in 1959 is a singer and songwriter from Greater Manchester. He rose to fame in the 1980's with the heavily accomplished band The Smiths, who are regarded by many of today's artists as being very influential to their music. Morrissey's musical partnership with former friend and band member Johnny Marr are considered by many as the best British song writing partnership to date, beating that of Lennon and McCartney. Morrissey has caused lots of controversy over the years with highly perverse comments. He has been branded by many musicians (notably Oasis) as being arguably the best lyricist of his generation and of anyone else ever to write and compose music. Morrissey's solo hits include the well known "Last of the Famous International Playboys" and such hits as "Irish Blood, English Heart", "You have Killed me" and others.

Ian Brown born in 1963 is the former front man of The Stone Roses. Ian Brown has released four albums since the Stone Roses split in 1996. These include the accomplished Unfinished; Monkey Business and the 2004 album Music of the Spheres.  Brown is known to launch attacks on artists who he does not like most notably Elton John and Mick Jagger.

John Lennon born in 1940 and died in 1980 was in the legendary band The Beatles. Lennon formed with McCartney the Lennon and McCartney song writing partnership of the 1960's. Lennon's lyrics were often full of pain and a lot of hope. His melodies were at times beautiful and at other times it was dark. His lyrics referred to his unease with fame, current affairs and personal experiences. Lennon wrote a few songs which have become iconic songs of their age "Imagine" and "Give peace a chance".

Who is your favourite British Solo Artist?
67-1161385641

Postby jkop » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:09 pm

Slag me, call me names whatever but i like James Blunt. :D  :buttrock
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:33 am

paul weller by a long chalk, they guy is brilliant
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:26 am

jkop wrote:Slag me, call me names whatever but i like James Blunt. :D  :buttrock

The singing house fly.

:D

Nah - not really a fan of any UK solo's. They're too much of the same IMHO. A bag of sh*t, really.

You need to go to the good old US of A for the real music.

Elvis, Garth Brooks, Nat King Cole, etc.

John Lennon? Hippie cr*p, IMHO. "Imagine" is supposed to be some f*cking wonder song, when in all honesty it is a puddle of self-indulgent horse p*ss, written to appease his quarrelsome bint. Yoko Ono was the worst thing ever to happen to John Lennon. Including Chapman.

She's a meddling old hag who wrecked one of the World's best ever bands with her "Far out" ways.

Despite all this, I have never liked anything about John Lennon, but I can appreciate good music. The Beatles - good music in the main.

Yoko Ono-inspired John Lennon - utter hippy b*llocks.

His voice was reedy, his attitude stank, and the whole "Living in a bed" thing? No thanks. If you want to send a message - write a f*cking letter, you sanctimonious b*stards.

Basically - he was an a*sehole. I can say that, as I have looked at things away from the hysteria.

The sheer facts are thus: Without The Beatles, John Lennon would never have made it as a solo act. He was just too poor a singer, and before the advent of digital-remastering, that was a fatal flaw.
Sorry if I've upset anyone - but you know me - if I think it, I'll say it.

Richard Ashcroft? Pile of W*nk, my friends. If he's the best singer in the World, Tom Cruise is straight.
There is ONE song this lad has done which is worthy of praise. One.
And if you think it's Bittersweet Symphony, you're a loon.

The only song of note that Manc tw*t has ever written that is worth a sh*t is "The Drugs Don't Work."

And THAT was when he was in a band, so technically NOT solo work.
WHat song of any distinction has the fruit actually released since he ditched the band? None. Simple really - he's sh*t.

Morrissey? The bloke is a f*cking gimp. His recent stuff has been a pile of gash. About as enduring as opened milk.

He did a song on "Friday Night with Jonathan Ross" about a year or so ago. Needless to say, it was like listening to a man on Acid having a sh*t, yet perversely less attractive.

Coxon - six solo albums, but nowhere near a number one. Sorry, but even in today's wank-fest charting system, good songs can still find their way to a number one.
But therein lies the problem for our friend Graham - his songs AREN'T good. He's just another Ritchie Sambora. Miles better than his band's "Leader", but just not up to the task of fronting anything.
Talent is useless unless it's deployed in the right circumstances and environment.
Graham would do well to remember that the next time he thinks "I know, I'll write another album..."

Weller:

ANother living on the successes of his bands. Quite simply - and you may not like this - he's a genius when writing for a band, but he loses something when alone. Maybe he needs people to bounce off - I don't know. All I know is that his work is decidedly better when part of a crowd.

Ian Brown - I don't know anything about his solo career, but he escapes all wrath from me purely because he attacked Elton "I'm such a star" John and Mick "Oh my God my lips are taking over the World" Jagger.

Pity he didn't rip their throats out so they'd HAVE to shut up.

If anything, the best British male songwriter in MY opinion, despite never being a soloist, was probably Freddie Mercury.

Even the songs I didn't like - I had to admire the guy's ability, both lyrically and vocally.

I'll level with you all - I'm a musical snob. If I don't like it - it's sh*t. If the musicians do anything I don't like - they face an uphill battle.

ANd I have to admit I can't f*cking stand John Lennon, or the hysteria that surrounds him.

I know it's not good to speak ill of the dead, but I have to listen to people cumming in their pants all the time over someone who, and let's be fair to him, was a total tw*t.

I'd say it if he was still alive, and I'll say it now.

Just so everyone completely understands my position on the "John Lennon debate" - he was a c*nt. An arrogant, annoying c*nt.

Anyhoo - as a closing note - if you don't like how I've catagorized your idols - tough sh*t.

"The whole point of a discussion forum is to...", blah, blah, blah.

That's my piece.

I thank you.  :D
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:45 am

Lando owns this forum. :D

Well whatever..

Lennon seems to be one of the more famous names in that list, but I'd rather have Morrissey.

Blame FIFA and the subsequent downloading of illegal Limewire content. :D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:54 am

ashcroft is actually from wigan and is therefore not a manc, but is in fact a woolyback, pie eater

:p
112-1077774096

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:33 am

Van Morrison . No other british solo artist comes remotely close to this fella.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:44 am

Lando, I just put a list of musicians down, I'm not a fan of much of these musicians solo work. I have to say Paul Weller is probably my favourite solo artist on the list.
67-1161385641

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:18 am

Id have to say Morrisey, purely for the fact that he was in the smiths and since leaving has made some absolutely class music. Not the sort of thing to jump around to but i got all the albums, nice chill out music.

Personally cant stand ashcroft or weller, and not a john lennon fan.

Graham Coxon has done some genius solo stuff also and billy bragg does some good stuff if you chuck out the politics.

Would have to agree with woof on the all time Van Morrison tho, but Morrisey from the list for me
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:26 am

Dawson, there is an 'others' option :D
67-1161385641

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:34 am

Yeah but i like morrisey :)

duno, im more an american music fan myself, they can just do it bigger and better than us.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:36 am

I would just like to say that I have heard of John Lennon, as for the rest ?
account deleted by request

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:59 am

Hail the Modfather..... Paul Weller!

Oh, and Lando, Garth Brooks??? you are having a Turkish there aren't you?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:07 pm

I am among fellow LFC fans who ALSO appreciate the GOD that is Paul Weller. Saw a documentary on the Beeb the other night about his progression from The Jam thru to current day....I went to see him in an open air gig in Dublin a few years ago (The Waterboys were on the same bill) and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:09 pm

dawson99 wrote:Yeah but i like morrisey :)

duno, im more an american music fan myself, they can just do it bigger and better than us.

I don't think so, bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Stone Roses, The Smiths and The Beatles not to mention bands like Black Sabbath paved the way for a lot of American bands, you'll mention Jimi Hendrix no doubt, he was a great musician but his highly influential band The Jimi Hendrix Experience was composed of two British members who were also as important to the band as Hendrix was, so I'd go as far as saying British music is the best and it's also been the foundations for a lot of American music.

Morrissey makes me laugh more than anything else, his music is very witty and incredibly sarcastic, but his solo work isn't a patch on what he did in The Smiths.
67-1161385641

Next

Return to Non Football Related Polls