Solo artists - Your favourite british solo artist?

Please post your Non football related Polls in this forum

Solo artists - Your favourite british solo artist?

Richard Ashcroft
No votes
Paul Weller
30%
Graham Coxon
No votes
Morrissey
30%
Ian Brown
10%
John Lennon
10%
Other (Please list)
20%

Total votes : 10

Postby Mikz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:10 pm

All we are saying brother ..is give peace a chance  :buttrock

I have to disagree with Lando on the Lennon piece, I think he was great. One of the best songs he wrote was Jealous Guy  :nod   Also Van the man, Weller, Garth Brooks worth a mention too , but for me the greatest ever -ELVIS

thank ya very much momma  :;):
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:19 pm

Elvis was english? never realised, but he did have a slight yorkshire accent
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Elvis was Welsh descent actually.  Check out his family names.

Lando what the *****  each to their own I suppose. 

As a solo artist on the list its Weller for me for his touring and albums as a solo artist.

Although Van Morrison, Elton John, Rod Stewart etc are some heavyweights missed off.  Englebert and Tom Jones as singers are both excellent especially Tom  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:21 pm

I see I've caused a little controvesy then! :D

Garth Brooks is a legend mate - 2nd biggest selling artist in the history of America, debatably behind Elvis. (There's no proof Elvis outsold him - Garth just said on TV something like "No-one's bigger than The King". (No waistline gags, please! :D)

Listen to "The Dance", "If Tomorrow Never Comes" and "To Make You Feel My Love." - Proper songs with melody and good vocals.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm

Garth Brooks? Has this turned into a novelty poll?
Gimme bob dylon, donovan or even rufus wainwright over brooks.

Wainwright is the best by far at the moment
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:32 pm

Have to agree with Lando here.

The above list isn't particularly strong imo, when you consider America has produced people like Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan etc, who produced their best work as solo artists and not as part of a band.  There is no one on that list who has actually produced groundbreaking work as a solo artist imo. 

And don't give me any of that 'the other 2 members of the Jimi Hendrix Experience band were as important as Hendrix' - that's a completely ridiculous statement. Mitchell and Redding were good musicians, but Hendrix WAS the band.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Disagree with that statement entirely, each member of a band is as important as the next, one person doesn't make a band. If it wasn't then Hendrix would play the bass and drums as well as the guitar and vocals.

Another point about the people who are harping on about me not putting "American" artists on there, if you read what I typed, you'd see at the bottom I ask "who is your favourite British Artist"

I didn't put every British solo artist on there because I couldn't be bothered, that's why I put "Others".
67-1161385641

Postby JC_81 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:58 pm

CharmlessMan wrote:Disagree with that statement entirely, each member of a band is as important as the next, one person doesn't make a band.

Put any good session bass player and any good session drummer in a band with Jimi Hendrix in place of Redding and Mitchell and I'm pretty sure Hendrix would still have turned out to be a legend, because his guitar playing was light years ahead of anything around at that time and he had the ability to write fantastic songs.

Put any good session lead guitarist into a band with Mitchell and Redding and they'd still probably have made a technically good band because they're good musicians, but no better than countless other bands in that era.

In Hendrix's case I'll have to completely disagree with your statement that 'each member of the band is as important as the next'.  Band members can be replaced, but change the front man/ songwriter and the band just isn't the same.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:12 pm

To a sense yes, I agree, however if the bass player, drummer or other guitarist has a different technique and style that can also change the bands style and sound. I agree Hendrix on the guitar was amazing, I've heard the songs and seen performances of his and they are something special, but the session band of any solo artist plays a massive role in the band and to dismiss this is odd.

Before you shoot me down, I agree with most of what you've said, but as I say to dismiss the other members of a band is odd, because in the case of lots of successful bands each member is important.
67-1161385641

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:34 pm

I didn't imply any different. Just that I can't be doing with anyone on that list.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1161385641 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:45 pm

That's cool.  :)
67-1161385641

Previous

Return to Non Football Related Polls