Fawlty Towers
8%
Yes Minister
4%
Other
8%

Total votes : 26

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:56 am

We did US sitcoms some time ago and I always meant to do the Brits as well, so here they are. I'm expecting OFAH to do well here, along with Blackadder and Fawlty, which isn't really surprising. As for me, my nerdy side comes out when I say Red Dwarf, but it's well written, very intelligent and it was the first one I watched when I was a nipper.

So what's yours?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:04 am

Only fools and horses :buttrock

During the war....  :wwww
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:10 am

the smoking room!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:09 pm

Mikz wrote:Only fools and horses :buttrock

During the war....  :wwww

you know me, i never talk about my time in the navy

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:37 pm

What no One foot in the grave

I dont bloody believe it  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:52 pm

The alltime greatest british sitcom has got to be OFAH end of. It had great characters right through the cast from the main stars to the supporting members like Trigger ("Alright Dave" :laugh: ) and boycie and marlene. The scripts were so fookin witty, especially in the years with uncle albert in 'em and the stand out moments like del and rodders on the balcony with the statellite dish when they suddenly realise it's been knicked from the runway at Gatwick airport. Or the one where rodney wins the art competition and del, rodney and casssandra go on holiday but rodney has to pretend to be 14 years oldis funny as fook. You can't think of OFAH though without remembering the bit where del falls through the bar whilst trying to impress the two birds in the wine bar; I still piss meself when i see that bit on the telly - just pure genius.

There's been some great other british comedies down the years and watching bbc1 the other night i caught a programme called comedy connections about 'Allo 'Allo and i'd forgotten how funny that used to be. Everybody after the painting of the FALLEN MADONNA WITH THE BIG BOOBIES and the english policeman with the dodgy french who was always pssing by the front door  :D  and the general mickey taking of the german army was  absolute quality and just makes you wonder why they can't make comedies like this, OFAH and Fawlty Towers and all of the others listed above anymore. It sad to see the kind of shite that is being pumped out at the moment that is called comedy (and in my opinion that includes anything by Ricky Gervais. Am i the only person who thinks he's about as funny as a paper cut to your bell-end??)
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:02 pm

OFAH is fantastic and it's written, casted and acted perfectly. The only thing I take issue with is the last couple of episodes which, for me, ruined the story. When it ended (originally) with the three episodes about the watch, it was perfect. It couldn't have ended better. And then the BBC ran out of ideas (as usual) and tried to better it. It was funny, but it ruined the legacy. It was once said that the greatest song is the one in your head, because as soon as you commit it to reality, it loses it's possibilities and becomes faultable. The same applies with TV, in that the best endings are in your head. When Del Boy, Rodney and Albert walked off into the sunset, it was perfect because we could all imagine what would happen next. And then it got "BBCed". Great Show, Great Ending, and then it went downhill which should never happen.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:24 pm

OFAH every time  :buttrock
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:25 pm

Only Fools And Horses, hands down.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:13 am

For me, there is just no contest whatsoever.

The comedy I am talking about didn't run as long as certain others in the list, but it was by no means a short-legacy.

The addition of Ben Elton to the writing team in the 2nd series made the show come alive after a shakey start, and for me, the final 3 seasons have yet to be matched by anything written this side of the Atlantic.

The humour is exactly what I find funny. It was written for me, of that there is no doubt! :D

The kingpin in the entire show, however, is the ever versatile Rowan Atkinson, who's only superior for dynamism is Robin Williams, IMHO.
The fantastic timing, facial expressions, delivery and systematic heartlessness create a bad character that everyone wants to emulate.

Every single person on these boards wishes they could get away with constantly taking the p*ss out of their peers and superiors without comeback.

To then retain the same fundamental character over 4 completely different eras and still make it work, is nothing short of genius.

I am talking, ofcourse, about Blackadder.

That isn't to say that I do not like any of the other shows. My 2nd choice is Red Dwarf, as that again appeals to my sense of humour.

I will be honest, OFAH comes in at number 6 for me, purely because I have never watched Drop the Dead Donkey and Yes, Minister, and the League of Gentlemen is about as funny as a hernia.

I would put One Foot in the Grave above OFAH, and no doubt some other shows, as although I do find it funny at times, old Del Boy is a bit too mainstream for my tastes.
I tend to find more obscure things funny. No offence to anyone, but I honestly find the main type of humour used in OFAH tedious, boring and a little simple. (Which is sometimes the best, I concede.)
It just isn't a show that keeps me watching, and I can be ar*ed with a show that can't even retain my interest for an hour!

I find the thought of watching 2 episodes brings on a panic inside me, as I know I'll be climbing the walls aafter 15 minutes.
However. In the case of BA and RD, I have happily sat there and watched entire seasons non-stop, then wanted more.

It's all down to taste I suppose, just like sexual attraction and whether or not you find brussel sprouts edible.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:12 am

I guess the disappointing for me about this poll is that most of those shows are either from 80s or 90s. As someone who grew up on British sitcoms i find most recent creations leave me real cold
My favorites would have to be Red Dwarf though ran a couple of series too many, Drop the dead donkey though again probably a series too many, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers went while on top and One foot in the grave
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:10 am

Only fools and horses, timeless comedy at its best :laugh:
66-1112520797

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:57 am

I don't know if anybody has saw a sketch show from about eight years back called Big Train?  Absolutely superb laugh out loud comedy.  It's not a sitcom though as it's a sketch show but even now nearly ten years later it still makes you piss.

It's on one of the UK Gold channels on a Monday night.  I've been watching it for the last three weeks and I think I'm going to get it on DVD as there was two series of it.

If I was to tell you it was written by Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews might not mean much to you, but these two men are responsible for writing some of the funniest stuff of the last ten years. 

A short list of their work includes:

•  Black Books
•  Brass Eye
•  Father Ted
•  Harry Enfield
•  The Fast Show
•  The Day Today
•  Little Britain (Pilot Episode)
•  Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace

They also appeared as the two Irish TV producers as actors in I'm Alan Partridge: To Kill A Mocking Alan.  If you've watched this series I don't need to say any more about that episode.

The cast who actualy perform the sketches are all cut from the same comedy cloth.

(The Actor/Actress you will have in seen in This/These Programmes)

•  Kevin Eldon (Nighty Night, Spaced, I’m Alan Partridge)
•  Mark Heap (Spaced and Brass Eye)
•  Simon Pegg (Brass Eye, Spaced, now a Hollywood player in Shaun Of The Dead and MI:3)
•  Amelia Bullmore (Brass Eye, I’m Alan Partridge)
•  Julia Davis (The superb Nighty Night's main star as the sinister Jill)
•  Rebecca Front (Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge, Nighty Night)
•  Traci-Ann Oberman (Eastenders?? ?? ?? ??  Dirty Den’s missus apparently, still a funny lady though, check out “the man with the big hands” if you ever watch this show)
•  Catherine Tate (has her own sketch show which was a massive hit in 2005 for BBC)

If you like any of the shows listed above, you know where the humour is going to come from in this show so I urge you to watch this if you missed it first time round like me.  I'm lucky I just caught an episode of it a few weeks back and now I'll be buying the box sets. 

I mean it, it's really, really funny.
jonnymac1979

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 10, 2006 11:05 am

Fools and Horses , Fawlty Towers , icons of british comedy , I give my vote however to "The Young Ones"  The episode where they go on university challenge almost had me choking to death on my own laughter .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:20 am

woof woof ! wrote:Fools and Horses , Fawlty Towers , icons of british comedy , I give my vote however to "The Young Ones"  The episode where they go on university challenge almost had me choking to death on my own laughter .

yeah everton get a mention in that one, but its someones name, i think the name of the man with the worlds biggest bogey.

the funniest line was a;exi sayle when he knowcked on the door and said

"can i use your toilet"

the answer was "no"

then alexi came up with the classic "i thought not, thats why i p1ssed in your garden"

:D
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Non Football Related Polls