Team for burnley on friday night

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Who do you think who are going to play against Burnley on Friday night in the FA Cup match?

I got a feeling that Rafa will probably rest some of their first team players for those match against Burnley.

4-4-1-1

GK- Dudek

RB - Finnan
CB - Carragher
CB - Hyypia
LB - Traore

RM - Nunez
CM - Hamann
CM - Gerrard
LM - Riise

AM - Luis Garcia

ST - Pongolle or Baros (if he fit for those match)

Subs

Mellors
Raven
Diao
Harrison
Pongolle or Baros
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:46 pm

i don't subscribe to this theory of "resting" players. we'd be better inclined putting out our strongest team, getting a decent lead and then making changes. our players will have over a full week to rest for the manure game, assuming rafa plays the youngsters against watford.

if baros is fit, he should definitely start. he needs to get back in the goalscoring groove. :cool:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:47 pm

you have the feeling benitez will rest some first teamers but you've put them all in the line up?

i see warnock coming in at least - and maybe it would be a good game for partridge. i reckon the starting eleven will see quite a few non first 11 players with more experienced players to come on IF necessary. i wouldn't be surprised in gerrard starts on the bench too.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion_kop2 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:49 pm

Dudek

LB Warnock
CB pelligreno
CB Jamie Carragher
RB Raven

LM Traore
CM Diao  ???  you know he will
CM Biscan
RM Potter

SC Baros (not sure how his injury is)
SC Pongolle
I would be a proffesional footballer if i wasn't limited by my lack of talent.
spion_kop2

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:51 pm

andy_g wrote:you have the feeling benitez will rest some first teamers but you've put them all in the line up?

Yes I know that, but that is my team line up but I wouldn't bring young players to play in the FA Cup, because FA Cup is MAJOR trophy. FA Cup is different from Carling Cup.

I am sure Rafa will rest some of first teamers for the Carling Cup Semi Final next week against Watford.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:51 pm

i would put Gerrard, Riise on the bench at least...maybe even BAros and bring him on with 30mins to go to give him a run out.  i'd also play Diao and Traore, maybe they can get some confidence from a div1 side...
:glare:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:52 pm

this whole notion of playing warnock as a left back is an interesting one. i thought he did ok there against norwich. riise seems to be excelling in his more advanced position but i still feel that he could be the best left back in the league bar none.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:53 pm

Good point about Warnock but I prefer Traore to play left back because I thought he did well against Chelsea last saturday.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:54 pm

I thought he did well against Chelsea last saturday.

are you joking?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:55 pm

i would play gerrard and a few youngsters, the youngsters playing with gerrad would be more fired up and eager to follow his example! i would play diao and biscan somewhere in midfield with gerrard bombing forward, i wouldnt really rest anyone to be honest, baros needs games so play him and rest him for the watford match but as said before, if most youngsters play against watford we have a nice break for the manure match, also good news giggs is out of that match at least they have injury problems as well :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:56 pm

Stan Laurel wrote:Yes I know that, but that is my team line up but I wouldn't bring young players to play in the FA Cup, because FA Cup is MAJOR trophy. FA Cup is different from Carling Cup.

I am sure Rafa will rest some of first teamers for the Carling Cup Semi Final next week against Watford.

exactly.

you've just come off the back of a decent result so why make wholesale changes for a potential banana skin?

gerrard should play as he is the captain after all. considering his superb recent form there's no way he would want to be rested for this game. when you're playing well, tiredness doesn't come into it.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:56 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

are you joking?

Am I?

Did he make any mistakes against Chelsea?
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:57 pm

i'm all up for playing gerrard but what with all our injuries, we have to be careful....'if' he got injuired (and it's quite likely on a div1 pitch) we would be well and truly f*&ked

are you joking?

Am I?

Did he make any mistakes against Chelsea?

yes!  he lost the ball 5-6 times and noone even tackled him! :angry:

his ball control is awful and Chelsea nearly scored from one of his mistakes...play him in the next two games, make him look good against div1 opposition then sell him, play Warnock instead
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kop Kid » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:35 pm

Good Thread.  This is an important season for Rafa's revolution, i'm sure we can all agree on that.

Secondly we can all see Rafa is giving everyone a go as he prepares for a strong run in and hopefully a charge for the top next season.

Therefor i am diplomatic in who plays, as i dont really mind.  All the players know they are being judged, judged more than they have ever been judged before.  Fail and they are out at the end of the season.

At the moment id say the following have failed to impress;

Kirkland - injury prone
Dudek - inconsistent
Traore - though he has been better than i've seen him stil.l dont believe he would make a Manc Utd/ Chelsea/ Arsenal side.
Henchoz - say no more but thanks for some good times
Diao - say no more

Otherwise im very impressed with the performances of the rest and can clearly see what Rafa is set to achieve........... BIG BIG things!

Anyway, apologies for all this whaffle!
i'd go with

Dudek

Finnan
Carra
Hyp
Riise

Gerrard
Biscan
Hamman
Garcia

Baros - These two were awesome together recently
Mellor -
Kop Kid

Postby the great one » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:41 pm

This should be abit like the West brom game scoring wise cus there main threat is Robbie blake but his joined Birmingham but with the refree we have i wouldn't be to surprised if we lose :( :(
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games