Liverpool v Brighton 25/8. K. O. 17.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:50 pm wrote:
UvS xR4GEx » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:36 pm wrote:Bit of a strange performance by Naby today.. looked like he was under strict orders to keep it simple and to not get out of position. He hardly moved forward and he took no risks all game.. I'm hoping Klopp let's the shackles off and let's him express himself next game.

Klopp needs to take the shackles off the whole team not just Keita, we play Tottenham, Chelsea and City next month.

What shackles ? Brighton were the reason why the front three struggled today , their first class workrate and denying of space meant the front three couldn’t get going and at times had to drop deep - at times Keita was also getting too close to the front three and going into their space , he needs to learn when to move forward and when to leave that space for Mane etc

But Klopp didn’t put any shackles on its was a battling performance made hard by a very disciplined opposition who were coming off a great win.

3 games - 3 wins - 3 clean sheets

I wouldn't have Milner or Wijnaldum in my midfield, especially at home against relegation dodgers.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:54 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:50 pm wrote:Wasn’t a champagne performance but the players really had to graft today hence why someone like Shaqiri doesn’t come - Brighton were superb in their set up and we had to grind and be patient , it wasn’t a game for the video archives but it was a result that was extremely important

Superb at the back and the “one pace plodders” in the midfield were brilliant - Milner and Gini excellent today

Milner and Gini, along with the likes of Trent, Robbo, Firmino, Mane and even Mo gave the ball away countless times, it was a poor performance at home against a team that will finish in the bottom half.

The same team that just beat Man Utd and it’s not always about the performances- the points are far more important and it’s something that we need to learn - no team goes through the season playing scintillating football - getting the points when playing poorly is a good sign
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:59 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:54 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:50 pm wrote:Wasn’t a champagne performance but the players really had to graft today hence why someone like Shaqiri doesn’t come - Brighton were superb in their set up and we had to grind and be patient , it wasn’t a game for the video archives but it was a result that was extremely important

Superb at the back and the “one pace plodders” in the midfield were brilliant - Milner and Gini excellent today

Milner and Gini, along with the likes of Trent, Robbo, Firmino, Mane and even Mo gave the ball away countless times, it was a poor performance at home against a team that will finish in the bottom half.

The same team that just beat Man Utd and it’s not always about the performances- the points are far more important and it’s something that we need to learn - no team goes through the season playing scintillating football - getting the points when playing poorly is a good sign

United were awful in their first game against Leicester and looked half @rsed against Brighton as well, you can't use that game last week as a barometer on how good a side Brighton are, Brighton got stuffed 2-0 by Watford in their first game and we both know that come next May they'll do well to finish above the relegation zone.
Brighton looked half decent because we didn't turn up, the front 3 look a million miles away from what they were last season and Jurgen needs to sort that midfield out, a CM pairing of Milner and Wijnaldum are not going to win us the league.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Milner, Hendo and Lallana need to be "phased" out of our team and squad eventually. Yes they put in a shift, but they are not game changing players with zero creativity etc etc..

I want to see more of Fabinho tbh.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:19 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/optajoe/stat ... 4012968962

Just to show there are a few fallacies in regards Gini - gave the ball away once , and Milner was a perpetual engine alongside him - both are going to be key for the rest of the season , as will Fabinho and Henderson and Keita - it’s a long season and all 5 will play a lot of games. 3 games in 3 wins and it’s doom and gloom ? Really ?
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:13 pm wrote:Milner, Hendo and Lallana need to be "phased" out of our team and squad eventually. Yes they put in a shift, but they are not game changing players with zero creativity etc etc..

Yeah I agree, personally I'd like to see a midfield of Keita, Fabinho and Shaquiri in Phil's old AM spot but Jurgen seems a bit gun shy atm, taking Keita off and bringing on Hendo was a head scratcher for me, we are at home to a team of relegation dodgers and he's packing the midfield with water carriers.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:19 pm wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/optajoe/status/1033427134012968962

Just to show there are a few fallacies in regards Gini - gave the ball away once , and Milner was a perpetual engine alongside him - both are going to be key for the rest of the season , as will Fabinho and Henderson and Keita - it’s a long season and all 5 will play a lot of games. 3 games in 3 wins and it’s doom and gloom ? Really ?

We know the likes of Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson aren't good enough at the top level, we saw that last year. I suspect Jurgen knows it too that's why he brought in Keita and Fabinho. That's why his line ups this year (particularly at home) have been a bit of a head scratcher.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:28 pm

That was a game we would have drawn 1-1 last season. Or even lost 2-1, with a typical defensive collapse in the final 10 mins.  We won ugly and that's what you need against a aide that puts everyone behind the ball and hoofs it forward.

Brighton played pretty well in the second half, but Alisson and VVD kept them in check. Even if the short-play almost caused us to trip up over our own feet.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Don't know how can people complain after a victory. Yes it was hard earned but United won title after title for years with this kind of performances. Our attack hasn't been outstanding, but instead of criticizing our attacking play, which is bound to start pouring in the goals sooner or later, I'd rather praise that defence of ours which looks to have turned a corner in the past 9 months.

We're going to start scoring sooner or later guys, in the meantime, be happy that we finally have a defence to see us through tough games when our atrack isn't working.

Onwards and upwards  :buttrock
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:34 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 pm wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:19 pm wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/optajoe/status/1033427134012968962

We know the likes of Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson aren't good enough at the top level, we saw that last year. I suspect Jurgen knows it too that's why he brought in Keita and Fabinho. That's why his line ups this year (particularly at home) have been a bit of a head scratcher.

What’s head scratching about it ?

It seems quite clear why he is going with the players he is

First - Shaqiri isn’t going to play in a 10 role , that’s not his role and never will be , he is a wide player who will come on to give width and stretch teams

Second - Already been explained by the manager why Fabinho just isn’t ready to start just yet - just not used to the pace

Third - the midfield last year struggled when they were suffering from injuries and playing on empty because of a lack of options on the bench - hence why be brought in a couple more players

Forth - Henderson is still getting himself back up to full fitness after a World Cup where he showed how good he can be

Both Gini and Milner had very good pre seasons and started the season very well - they have helped the team win 3 on the trot with three clean sheets - they are good enough to be part of a squad that can challenge for the title - for people to be critical after 3 opening wins when players are still finding their feet is the head scratching part.

Last year he reason we didn’t get closer to City was drawing or losing those types of games - today we won when not playing great - substance over style at times is required. You are going to be a disappointed person if you expect outstanding performances each week - no one does that or ever has done
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:12 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:13 pm wrote:Milner, Hendo and Lallana need to be "phased" out of our team and squad eventually. Yes they put in a shift, but they are not game changing players with zero creativity etc etc..

Yeah I agree, personally I'd like to see a midfield of Keita, Fabinho and Shaquiri in Phil's old AM spot but Jurgen seems a bit gun shy atm, taking Keita off and bringing on Hendo was a head scratcher for me, we are at home to a team of relegation dodgers and he's packing the midfield with water carriers.

I would keep Wjnaldum though as I think he is a good technical player and fairly solid.

Maybe we are now regretting missing out on Fekir!?

Shaqiri can't do much sat on the bench, now can he. I thought Jurgen bought him as he can have an effect versus those teams who Park the bus. He can play wide, and shoot from outside the box also.

I guarantee every team will come to Anfield and play five in Midfield like they and West Ham did.
Last edited by Ghost of Shankly on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm

The bottom line is we need Keita, Fabinho and Shaquiri to step up to the plate and play a leading role this season, we will not finish above City if the likes of Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson are going to be the mainstays of our midfield.
As for Shaquiri not being a 10, if Jurgen didn't think he could play 10 I think Fekir would be a Liverpool player now.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:12 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm wrote:

I would keep Wjnaldum though as I think he is a good technical player and fairly solid.

Maybe we are now regretting missing out on Fekir!?

Shaqiri can't do much sat on the bench, now can he.

In the summer I was elated when we signed Keita and Fabinho and were being heavily linked with Fekir, it looked like our midfield was getting the total overhaul it needed, it's slightly concerning to be 3 games in and 2 of last year's CM's seem to be nailed on starters.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Klopp likes to ease players in, like Robbo and Ox last season. He doesn't throw them in at the deep end. But Fabinho should be starting as h will need a few games to find any rythym in his game.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:25 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 pm wrote:The bottom line is we need Keita, Fabinho and Shaquiri to step up to the plate and play a leading role this season, we will not finish above City if the likes of Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson are going to be the mainstays of our midfield.
As for Shaquiri not being a 10, if Jurgen didn't think he could play 10 I think Fekir would be a Liverpool player now.

Fekir has a knee that is ready to explode and did you watch the last 6 months of the season and see that we have already at least three people who float in and around the number 10 slot - Mane , Salah , Firmino and Naby. Did you think Fekir was someone to replace Coutinho ? Nah he is someone who plays mainly higher through the wide channels - not as a generic number 10 -Shaqiri is a wide player mainly and will play in the wider areas but at times drift in

There is no “bottom line” - players arrived to supplement the squad because it’s a squad that wins trophies not just a strong 11 - Alisson and Keita were prob the only two who were bought straight into the first team - the other two form part of a stronger squad than last season and all will play regular crucial roles if the team is to be successful - players like Milner , Gini and Henderson who you dismiss so quickly are all highly rated by the manager and will be key for the coming season and Gini and Milner have started very well getting us off to a great start - and they will continue to do so. It’s a squad game and we are three games in and you are pushing the panic button.

3 wins 3 clean sheets 9 points - great start with more to come from the players. What are you going to be like when we lose a game
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games