Chelsea v LIVERPOOL  2Jan 16:30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Santa » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:26 pm

FT 2-2 should have held on to our 2 goals lead but they got a lucky break. advantage now to Citeh
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:28 pm

My fear is how many points we will be dropping in the coming games without Salah and Sadio...I doubt Taki and Origi could keep anywhere near the same level
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:36 pm

Huge task now. Realistically, it's probably over.

I honestly can't see City dropping 8 points and us going on an unbeaten run from now until the end of the season.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:15 pm

No midfield, it was a game of ping pong. We must invest in long term midfield talent that has the ability to actually lift the team. Time to move on the dead woods...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 pm

I said in the summer if we don't sign a midfielder to replace Gini it'll come back and bite us.. we put trust in Ox, and Naby not picking up injuries and the young lads Elliott/Jones to cover if we needed them.

We never see the bigger picture, we never prepare for the "what if" Scenarios. Who'd have thought Jones  Elliott would pick up long term injuries, and Naby and Ox being unreliable??

We didn't invest in a CB and it cost us the title.. we didn't  invest in a CM it's probably gonna cost us the title.

We are being tight at the top and it's gonna have cost us 2 seasons in a row. And it's annoying because 3 years ago we were the best team in the league.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:49 pm

Another deflating performance after going 2 up  :down:  We should have tightened up then and maybe sat a bit deeper to launch counter attacks.

Fabinho was poor today and you have to wonder just how fit he really was for that. 
Milner shouldn't have started that today. Just covering ground isn't good enough to play at this level. Keita should have started ahead of him because we needed a player with some composure in midfield. Hendo got bypassed far to easy as well today and offered little when on the ball.
Imo the midfield cost us that today and they are getting outplayed nearly every game. I know we have fielded a few different combos through injury but it shouldn't be a problem as they all train together and are coached the same tactics.

We have a winnable run coming up now so we need to get back on track and put a run together and see where we are at after about 7 games. Hopefully the lads at the AFCON come back early and injury free.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:51 am

Santa » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:28 pm wrote:My fear is how many points we will be dropping in the coming games without Salah and Sadio...I doubt Taki and Origi could keep anywhere near the same level

It's not even going to be down to Taki and Origi, both are out injured. With Jota our only fully fit and available forward as things stand, I have no idea who we're gonna play.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:13 am

Shame we couldn't hold onto the 2-0 lead by half time. Overall it was a fair result, we didn't play particularly well.

Title is City's to be lost, they will drop points but so will we.

We've tried our best to compete with City these past few years and should be applauded for our efforts. Aiming for 90+ points each season is something only a well funded squad can do.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:33 am

I would not be giving up just yet as City have got lucky in a few games and normally that doesn’t last all season, my worry is teams accepting that City will runaway with the title and rolling over whenever they play them, if that happens then it is theirs.

As for the match it is very disappointing to lose a lead again. The first goal was a freak and pumped them up to score a second before we got our composure back. Our midfield lately has been very average with little composure, basically a mix of no Thiago, a tired looking Hendo and a Fabinho that looks still not 100%, although the best of the midfielders. I wish we had a player like Kante who was probably the best player of the match.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:53 am

Yet it was another inept team performance to widen the gap between the champion elect City and the chasing pack where LFC is trying to secure 4th spot.
The aging Milner who can not compete in such high profile game, and it was down to his slow-acting ignited Chelsea's comeback and gave them total control his selection was wrong!, I thought Fabinho (rusty) and tired Henderson have struggled badly to get hold of the midfield.

we have two tough cup games against much-improved Arsenal, unless we play well in it, we could be out, they have kicked us off this competition last year.

Good Luck lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:53 pm

kazza » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:33 am wrote:I would not be giving up just yet as City have got lucky in a few games and normally that doesn’t last all season, my worry is teams accepting that City will runaway with the title and rolling over whenever they play them, if that happens then it is theirs.

"Lucky" is definitely not the word I'd use for the benefits Man City had in these past few games. They had very questionable decisions going their way in all 4 of their previous games, especially against Arsenal and Wolves they had decisions that decided the game, while we on the other hand we had that Spurs game. With this many wrong decisions in more than one game, at this level and with this technology, it's very hard for me to call it luck TBH.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:23 pm

City have been ahead in 17 games this season and so have we. They’ve won the lot, we’ve won 12. No control in midfield. Except when Thiago plays. Every point we have dropped has been in games where he hasn’t started. Very dependent on him for the big Cup games to come but he is injury prone. Hate to say it but we need to sign a big Wijnaldum replacement to help us close out games.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:15 pm

Happy with the draw as I was more than perturbed with Milner being in our starting eleven ,I was surprised how open Chelsea were at the back to let us go two goals ahead and how unfazed we looked until Milner gave away yet another needless free kick in a dangerous area.

Milner given he's a seasoned veteran can be alarmingly stupid and careless and sometimes 'speaking as a supporter who over time has watched this slowly creeping into his game ,its become a significant and sadly consistent cause for consternation.

Tsmikas was again my man of the match and Konate was decent ,young Kelleher superb but when they're the only players you could say looked like they had three points to go for then you know leaving with that point was based on luck rather than effort.

Jota and Henderson in particular were abysmal and Jota couldn't even be bothered to look @rsed with holding onto the ball ,its possibly the worst I've seen the lad play and it was no surprise when he was withdrawn.

Liverpool have 18 games left to play,Chelsea 17 so talk of City running away with the title is a bit ridiculous ,but that's the media for you. Chelsea have City next and we still have a game in hand whilst still having to play them at their yard. I still believe the culmination of this season will be a tightly contested battle for the last few points.

That said I hope City players believe they already have the title in the bag ,but I seriously doubt they will ,especially after scraping through their last two games and being heavily reliant on being on the right side of some contentious decisions. In all honesty I haven't been as impressed with City as say the media and pundits ,simply for the fact they look surprisingly susceptible to the counter at the back. I mean Leicester scored three goals against them ,Brentford gave them enough scares and Arsenal played them off the park.

It takes an incredible amount of luck to win this league and City seem to be having the lions share of late,but Chelsea could take points off them and then theyre away to Southampton who have suddenly started picking up form and sandwiched in betwixt their games against Sporting they have Spurs ,Everton at Goodison and then Man United. I'd like to think there will be enough twist and turns to allow either ourselves or Chelsea to be back in their @rse pocket and pushing them all the way.

City are were they are simply because when this virus or injuries has affected their team its hardly been noticeable given their squad depth as opposed to teams being seriously depleted in key areas and not possessing players of a similar quality to come in. Man City have  been big winners from the moment they cherry picked 2 or more quality players for every conceivable position and then set about assembling such ridiculous squad depth to combat players being unavailable or injured.

Who knew that with City having such inexhaustible resources and being able to constantly dip their toe into a bottomless pool of euros to bolster the squad further would have such a profound effect on where the biggest domestic prizes would end up?

There's just so many points still left to play for that it would be criminal for any Reds fan to concede any title this early in the season.

Happy New Year all
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:42 pm

I agree with RBG, whilst it is disappointing to squander a 2-0 lead talk of the title race being over is a little bit premature, of course City are huge favourites and are firmly in the driving seat but the year we won the double in 86 Everton looked knocking bets to win the title as well, teams doing a Devon Loch is not unheard of.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:16 am

Yes I won't concede the title race, City may be getting the run of the green at the moment but hopefully it won't last much longer.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games