4. Tottenham P20 PTS 37 (GD +20)
-------------------------------------------------
5. Man City P19 PTS 35 (GD +11)
-------------------------------------------------
6. Aston Villa P20 PTS 35 (GD +11)
7. LIVERPOOL P20 PTS 33 (GD +12)
8. Birmingham P20 PTS 32 (GD +2)

:eyebrow

Torres may have scored 50 Premiership goals, but the split is heavily against away so that was very welcome. But let's not get carried away, if Downing hadn't headed straight at Reina or they'd been a bit more accurate with headers and shots it could easily have been 1-1 or 1-2.

We showed resolve, but that was definitely a smash and grab raid, although I think the leprechaun was a bit OTT in his post-match analysis. His players should practise shooting a bit more, was it Downing last season who had 60 odd shots without scoring?!?! It was a definite must-win game if ever there was one, to lose to a rival for fourth spot for a second time could have been terminal to our hopes. As if we need another must-win game, you have to think we need to take all three points off spudz next up in the league and we'd be right back in the mix. So three key wins in that run of 10 games I mentioned could put us right back up there, villa away (won), spudz home and citeh away.

But it still is a small-time celebration, it's not as if we ran the show and walked away with a comfortable three points and long term the omens are not good. It's only the second time we've beaten a top six side this season, lost to Chelsea and spudz away, villa and Arsenal at home. The only London club we've beaten so far this season is Wet Sham : P6 W1 D0 L5 F7 A13.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 am

Watched the game live on TV and for once not in the pub with any distractions....

My assessment of the game would be that -

Positives

- We dominated possession for large parts of the game
- Central defence and Insua were excellent vs Agbon and Carew
- Torres/Gerrard got another 90 mins together although Torres looks a good bit off being 100%.
- Lucas - thought he had a v.good game
- Spirit and determination

Negatives

- Passing was woeful at times with Johnson and Aquaman biggest culprits
- Johnson injury
- Zonal marking - just about cost us AGAIN!

All in all I was pretty pleased with the performance. I don't subscribe to MON's comments at the end that Villa deserved to win comfortably. OK they had a few chances but so did we.
Last edited by Waldo on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:48 pm

Ciggy wrote:How come you got home so quick St?

i'm in leicester. at my parents here until 2nd jan :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:45 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ciggy wrote:How come you got home so quick St?

i'm in leicester. at my parents here until 2nd jan :p

kinell st, hope none o them robbers watchin out 4 th players bein away r readin this......  :sniffle
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:13 pm

I thought Lucas  was superb last night ,his all round game was excellent ,but for me Insua stole the plaudits he was  composed and looked like an accomplished defender last night and his movement and distribution were exemplary ,as oppose to the opposite flank where Johnson looked abysmal ,I still cant fathom how he lets players make it look so easy in beating him for pace and producing dangerous and potentially damaging crosses in to the box , is it just me who thinks Kelly will eventually prove a much more competent defender ?

I also thought Benayoun was wasteful in possession ,as for Aquilani he too will have better games ,but his penchant for always trying to find the through ball or slide rule pass will endear him to Liverpool fans and he will  eventually grow and revel  in that midfield role,I also thought that Torres need for a player with the same invention was obvious
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:49 pm

Johnson is just suffering from a lack of confidence , once we string a run of results he'll be back to his best. Insua was magnificent last night have to agree there , looked very composed , showed great feet and if he carries on his development as such he will be world class in 3 to 4 years , he's done very well to keep fabio out of the team so far
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brenitez » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:01 pm

thought lucas had a very good game again last night, cant stand it when people scapegoat him.

what a save from reina also it reminded me of dudek vs milan, he had no right to save that and a lot of credit must go to him for the win.

on a lighter note has anyone got the sky commentary on video?? bitter gray sounded as sick as a dog when nando notched hahaha .... :censored:!
brenitez

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:58 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:I thought Lucas  was superb last night ,his all round game was excellent ,but for me Insua stole the plaudits he was  composed and looked like an accomplished defender last night and his movement and distribution were exemplary ,as oppose to the opposite flank where Johnson looked abysmal ,I still cant fathom how he lets players make it look so easy in beating him for pace and producing dangerous and potentially damaging crosses in to the box , is it just me who thinks Kelly will eventually prove a much more competent defender ?

I also thought Benayoun was wasteful in possession ,as for Aquilani he too will have better games ,but his penchant for always trying to find the through ball or slide rule pass will endear him to Liverpool fans and he will  eventually grow and revel  in that midfield role,I also thought that Torres need for a player with the same invention was obvious

Think superb when describing Lucas must be a first RB, i thought he was one of our better players, nothing more.

Insua did suprise me, he really looked the part, light years ahead of his fellow FB on the other side of the pitch.

Benayoun, for the first time in a long time had me calling him a KNT every time he made a pass, for me his worst performance this season.

Aqualani ? Decent, early days and all that but I'm still waiting for even a glimpse of that which will justify the price tag.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:13 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Think superb when describing Lucas must be a first RB, i thought he was one of our better players, nothing more.

Insua did suprise me, he really looked the part, light years ahead of his fellow FB on the other side of the pitch.

Benayoun, for the first time in a long time had me calling him a KNT every time he made a pass, for me his worst performance this season.

Aqualani ? Decent, early days and all that but I'm still waiting for even a glimpse of that which will justify the price tag.

Woof compared to his recent performances he was as close to my description as he might ever get  :D , but in all seriousness he stuck to his task and made some important interceptions all valid tackles and he displayed an exuberance like a kid in the snow, he was everywhere and if had not been for Aquilani's generosity in proffering possession then our midfield would have totally dominated proceedings
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Fauxy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Who comentated?

When torres scored he sounded really really dissapointed, there was like a 3 second pause followed by him saying 'I dont believe it  :down: '

made me laugh that
:)
Fauxy

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:55 am

I wouldn't have minded listening to Collymore, see how he handed his beloved villa losing so late on. I'm betting he wasn't ecstatic, if villa had scored a late winner I bet he'd have been cheering uncontrollably
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:I thought Lucas  was superb last night ,his all round game was excellent ,but for me Insua stole the plaudits he was  composed and looked like an accomplished defender last night and his movement and distribution were exemplary ,as oppose to the opposite flank where Johnson looked abysmal ,I still cant fathom how he lets players make it look so easy in beating him for pace and producing dangerous and potentially damaging crosses in to the box , is it just me who thinks Kelly will eventually prove a much more competent defender ?

Think superb when describing Lucas must be a first RB, i thought he was one of our better players, nothing more.

To me Yossi doesnt look fit at all.
Appears like he has been rushed back from that injury and he hasnt been the same since despite his goal against Wolves.
At the end of the first half Gerrard played a lovely reverse pass down the left wing and Benayoun should have easily made it but looked so laboured and failed to keep it in.

Looks like he is definately not fit to me personally.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 pm

World class finish from Torres and what a vital goal.  We laboured all game to open them up and Torres was starved of service and spending a lot of time on the flanks.  Thank fook it fell to him the way it did and the relief when he buried it was palpable.  Oh, and cheers to Stephen Warnock for starting the game winning move...once a red, eh? :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fauxy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Must agree with Ben Patrick, Yossi doesnt seem fit.

I remember at the start of the season he would run like a mad man if he lost possesion to get it back. Havent seen that for a while now.
Fauxy

Postby Waldo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Fauxy wrote:Must agree with Ben Patrick, Yossi doesnt seem fit.

I remember at the start of the season he would run like a mad man if he lost possesion to get it back. Havent seen that for a while now.

You can add Aquilani (understandably given he's only played 2 games), Torres, Kuyt and Gerrard to that list then.

I think Gerrard is on his way back to full fitness but as long as Torres is carrying this groin/hernia injury he won't get to 100% fit. Still...a 60-70% fit Torres is still good enough!

Kuyt just looks f*cked all the time. He needs a rest I reckon.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games