Your first game... - Against the mancs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Red Tom » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:47 pm

Do you still remember your first game against Man Utd.  I'm lucky enough to have been at Anfield for one.  The 3-1 when Riise scored with that guided missile.  The first United game I remember watching on the telly we lost 3-2 when Carra scored TWO own goals.  At the time it was my biggest low as a football fan.  (Thier win against us in the FA cup that year topped/bottomed it though)

Do you still remember your first Utd game, either at Anfield or on telly - or both?  Which win is your favourite etc?

I know that this could probably go in the 'The big one' thread -but I wanted to find out about the past games specifically rather than all the build up for this one.

Tom
Red Red Tom

Postby Dalglish » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:03 am

My first memory of playing the Mancs was the FA Cup Final in 1977 ???

The finest LFC / Man Spew game I witnessed personally was the 4-0 demolition when Beardo got a hatrick in the early 90's and the 2003 Worthington Cup Final when we were under dogs but battered them 2-0 was  special :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

1st game I went was against them, about 79. Aurthur Albiston scored their winner in the last minuite(2-1) at Anfield. F.uckwits.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:20 am

ManU are just about the only top-flight team I've never seen us play, I've even been at Goodison for manu vs everton and I've stood on the stretford end in 1991 quietly rejoicing as southampton put them out of the FA cup but I've never seen the biggest game in british football. I must admit I'd consider donating a kidney to be there on sunday
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:43 am

Hey Al, be careful what you ask for mate :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:19 am

My first game against the mancs was in 1991/92 when we beat them 2-0 on the last day to hand the title to leeds.

The best game was 93/94 when we were 3-0 down after 23 minutes and came back to grab a 3-3 draw. :cool:

Some other classic reasons to laugh at manure, as printed on the official site earlier this year.

1. Kenny telling reporters they'd get more sense out of his baby daughter than Fergie, following a 3-3 draw at Anfield - April 1988

2. Lou Macari leaving Celtic and turning us down in favour of United. Look what you could have Lou! - December 1972

3. The four replica European Cup's being waved enthusiastically in the away section at Old Trafford (rumour has it that 18 League titles were confiscated at the turnstiles!) - January 2002

4. Liverpool leading United 2-0 at Anfield and the Kop singing 'there's only one United and that's a chocolate biscuit! - Boxing Day 1979

5. Razor Ruddock's bullet header past Schmeichel to complete the never-to-be-forgotten three-goal comeback - January 1994

6. Nigel Clough's two goals in the same game - January 1994

7. United finishing fourth in the one-horse title race of 1985/86 - May 1986

8. The Manchester Evening News proudly publishing the league table after just one game of the 1989/90 season. Why? Because United were top following a 4-1 victory over Arsenal! - August 1989

9. Ron Atkinson's decision to let Peter Beardsley leave United - March 1983

10. Beardsley's hat-trick for Liverpool in a 4-0 Anfield rout - September 1990

11. Souey bursting the Anny Road net with a first time rocket past Paddy Roche. It was his first goal for the Reds and set us up for a 3-1 win - February 1978

12. 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' ringing around Anfield as United lose the league to Leeds - April 1992

13. Murphy's free-kick ending ten years of hurt - December 2000

14. 3,000 or so Scousers out-singing 64,000 Cockneys at Old Trafford - every season

15. THAT goal by John Arne Riise - November 2001

16. Gary Neville's laughable act of bravado when attempting to goad a 10,000 strong army of travelling Reds from the safety of the Old Trafford pitch - January 1999

17. Big Jans Milk Cup screamer that has never been seen on TV - November 1985

18. Steve Bruce deflecting a McManaman shot past his own keeper - March 1995

19. Dusty Whelan and the sweetest of Wembley winners - March 1983

20. Fowler 'the prowler' overshadowing Cantona's much-hyped return - October 1995

21. Whelan scoring the greatest own-goal ever and the fact it didn't matter - March 1990

22. Old Trafford resounding to anti-Scouse songs - whenever United are on the telly

23. Rob Jones keeping Ryan Giggs in his pocket on his Reds debut at Old Trafford - October 1991

24. Kenny's mazy dribble through the United defence and subsequent finish in the FA Cup semi at Maine Road - April 1979

25. Fergie deliberately forgetting to mention Liverpool whenever he talks about Europe's most successful clubs - every time a Champions League game comes around

26. Walshy's last-gasp semi-final leveller at Goodison - April 1985

27. United fans claiming they didn't care about the Worthing Cup Final. Poor losers! - March 2003

28. Gordon Milne sending the Kop into raptures with his late New Years Day winner - January 1966

29. Stevie G's Anfield belly flop - March 2001

30. Brucie saving a Frank Stapleton penalty at Old Trafford - April 1982

31. A young Michael Owen scoring a goal then showing he's not afraid to put his foot in - April 1998

32. Jockey Hansen sprinting the length of the Maine Road pitch in celebration after equalising in the FA Cup semi-final - April 1979

33. Speedie silencing the Stretford End with a goal on his debut - February 1991

34. Big Ron from Old Swan, his year round tan and full-length leather. Symbolic of a glorious era when empty spaces at Old Trafford outnumbered the prawn sandwich brigade - June 1981 to November 1986

35. Mancunian striker Alf Arrowsmith scoring two against his hometown team as the Red close in on the title - April 1964

36. Barthez flapping at a cross in front of the Kop and Owen punishing him by heading home to complete a 3-1 victory - November 2001

37. Shanks laughing off Matt Busby's cheeky bid to sign a young Tommy Smith and Chris Lawler - early 1960s

38. Ruddock winding Cantona up by continually turning his collars down and provoking a retaliation that earned the Frenchman a booking - October 1995

39. Louis Bimpson's finest hour, when he scored three in a 4-4 Anfield thriller - August 1953

40. Goals from Keegan and Heighway sealing a 2-0 home win. Nothing remarkable about that but come the end of the season United were relegated and this result obviously contributed to that - December 1973

41. The display of total football from arguably the greatest Reds side ever during an emphatic 3-0 festive stroll at Old Trafford - Boxing Day 1978
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am

My first time watching us versus Man U at Anfield was in Dec 1995 when we won 2-0, I was sat in the main stand by Sinbad from Brookie :)

Great day :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:59 am

My first memory of a game v the mancs was the f.a cup semi in 1985 when they beat us 2-1 at maine rd in a replay. Mark Hughes scored the winner for them that night. The first game i went to against them was 87-88 when we went into a 3-1 lead after Robson had put them in front early in the game. Peter Beardsley levelled then Gary Gillespie put us in the lead just before half time. Straight after the restart Steve McMahon scored a rocket to make it 3-1 and we thought had wrapped up the game. Then Robson scored a flukey deflected goal and Gordon Strachan found himself clean through to slot past Grobbelaar with about 7 mins left. Still didnt stop us winning the title in style that season. :D
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:27 pm

In mine, I saw Gerard score a screamer from outside the box.  It was a classic.  (By the way - WE WON!)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:41 pm

2520years wrote:In mine, I saw Gerard score a screamer from outside the box.  It was a classic.  (By the way - WE WON!)

That was also the first LFC-Scum game i attended, we battered them 2-0 with Gerrard scoring a screamer and Fowler the 2nd.
That was the treble season, where i also went to old trafford when Danny Murphy scored the free kick, Owen hit the bar and again we murdered them.
The only other game between the two i have attended was the 2003 worthington cup final...i got my ticket for £80 20 minutes before kick off, the best £80 i have ever spent cos yes you've guessed it...we MURDERED them again, there end of the ground had no atmosphere and our end every one was falling over seats celebrating when owen scored the 2nd.
Cant wait for sunday...it will be tight but i think we have the midfield to take control and edge it.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 pm

My first game was in the 1987/88 season, we drew 3 - 3 with them at Anfield.  I think it was 0-0 at half time and the second half produced 6 goals.  We were winning 3-2 with about five minutes to go and Gordon Strachan made a late run from midfield and scored to equalise. 

I was in the Main Stand, I had a season ticket, we were arguably the best team in Europe at the time and those were the days my friends.
jonnymac1979

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:50 pm

I have just got a ticket off my mate who is unable to go, so as homer simpson would say woohoo !

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mgabby » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:22 pm

Being an Israeli, I don't see much LFC games at the stadium. So it is hard to forget the first time i saw LFC vs Man UTD.
December 1st, 2002.
It was a cold Sunday in Liverpool. Kick off was at noon.
Liverpool was at first place (at least this is what i remember) and Man U looked poor. A win could give us a real push in the right direction ....
I will never forget the feeling sudenly, just between the buildings, seeing Anfield. Entering the gates for the first time. "youll never walk alone" on top of the gate. Shankley statue ....
The four of us went to our seats, from the left side of the stadium ... going ... going .... going ...and oooops. we seat just in the middle of the mancs fans .... (we got free tickets from friends in London)
I put my scarf deep in the coat pocket ...

First half - boring. And you can hardly hear the Liverpool fans. All you can hear seating there is the mancs shi_ty songs.
"12 more years", "you'r not famous anymore ..." and those kind of :censored:.
0-0 at half time.

Second half. Forlan, after not scoring a single goal until then, taks the ball that Dudek droped between his legs and scores.
We are sitting just 10 rows behind poor Dudek.
A few minutes later, Forlan with his second. A good kick from the left side...

10 minutes or so to go ... Hyppia scores on the far end near the Kop. I am the only one that is jumping up and down amd nobody understands why ... than some things shouted at me, than some shoving and pushing...

A few minutes later Hamman almost scores, but this is it. We lost 2-1.

Than, not only losing the game, not only hearing the mancs sing "Jerji Dudek is a red" and "feed the scoucers" we have to wait in the stands for about 45 minutes until the mancs fans are allowed to leave.

Than a cab to the city trying to find a nice place to eat ... at least I can take the hidden scarf from my pocket...

Center of city looked gray and sad that day... and cold.
We ate at a nice place (I think it was called Havana or something like that). Than a strol at the Cavern erea ...
A cab to the airport, back to London and back to Tel Aviv a few hours later.....

And just to end with a happy note - last time I saw the reds? It was in a city called Istanbul ...  :buttrock
mgabby

Postby Garymac » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:08 pm

My 1st game i think was when Pallister scored twice but i might have been to one before that and cant remember, the 1st time i watched us win i wasnt there  ??? yeah sounds strange that and i will explain now, ive got a season ticket for the main stand and i had never seen us beat Manure at all ever and this year i was going to france on skiing trip with the school so the 1st thing i did when the fixtures came out was look to see if id miss any games and to the shock fu*king horror of my self the 1 and only game i missed was......Yes you guessed it the mancs, so i missed the man u game and to be honest if it hadnt have been a schol trip id have fuc&ed it off in fact i wouldnt of cos i was about 14! But any way im in France the day we beat Man u 2 nil and who scored both goals, yes GOD did, free kick he buried without Schmichael moving and the 2nd a lovely chip, still a bit bitter about not being there that day but ive had plenty of good memorys since then.

Gerrards goal being my favourite moment, Stunning to say the least.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby mighty mo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:22 pm

my first one was watching it on tv 1985-1886  season it finished 1-1 at old trafford,does anybody remember when we beat them  2-1  in 1989-1990 season at old trafford and ronnie whelen scored the most  astonishing  own goal i,ve ever witnessed,it was a back pass from about 30 yards out right into the top corner.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion