Youngsters - Next season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:46 pm

Obviously Rafa has been quiet in the transfer market so far, and we have seen the likes of smicer, igor, vignal, diarra, diouf and cheyrou move on. 

Although I have no doubt Rafa will make a few signings soon, I wonder if there is anyone from the reserves who he has earmarked to give more of a role in the first team next year??

Medjani did well for France U21 recently and the chat is that Rafa may want to keep a closer eye on his developments next season and has rejected the advances of Metz to take him back to France.  Could he be ready to be the main back-up for Hyypia/Carragher?

Welsh has been talked about for years as a big talent.  He's never overly impressed me when I've seen him but admittedly I haven't seen him play on a regular basis.  He has captained England U21 so surely he's not bad.  He may provide centre-mid cover now Igor has gone?

Whitbread is a decent centre-half as well.  I liked what I saw of him in the Carling cup last season.  Definite potential IMO.

Warnock has the taste for it now and i expect him to seriously challenge Djimi for 1st choice left back next season.

Of the rest, Mellor and Le Tallec have had chances, but IMO they aren't good enough.  Pongolle is established in the first team squad next season and showed good improvement, I expect him to get a fair few games when he regains fitness.  Carson needs a season or so before he's ready for the 1st team on a regular basis.  The likes of Potter and Raven I've not seen enough of to comment.

All the chat is about new signings to improve the squad, but we may have a few decent squad players on the books already if given the chance to prove themselves
:)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:35 pm

I rate Carl Medjani highly and Scott Carson as well. I think that Rafa mght give them the opportunity next season.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:51 pm

I want to see David Raven.... He's good ..
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Hamza » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:27 pm

Raven has also captained engalnd at some level and his challege on defoe in the carling cup showed alot of promise
Hamza

Postby L-type » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:33 pm

yeah whenever I think of raven it conjures up images of his saving tackle on defoe.  We definitely have alot of class coming up, so we'll see where they will figure in.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:45 am

So we have Scott Carson, Medjani , Welsh, Whitbread, Warnock, Le Tallec and David Raven. WOW !! The future is RED !!!! :;):
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:22 am

i won't include warnock in.. he is 23, if u want to include him, then u must include baros, cisse and alonso... all are 23
Alonso_Rulz

Postby laza » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:26 am

john craig wrote:Obviously Rafa has been quiet in the transfer market so far, and we have seen the likes of smicer, igor, vignal, diarra, diouf and cheyrou move on. 

Although I have no doubt Rafa will make a few signings soon, I wonder if there is anyone from the reserves who he has earmarked to give more of a role in the first team next year??

Medjani did well for France U21 recently and the chat is that Rafa may want to keep a closer eye on his developments next season and has rejected the advances of Metz to take him back to France.  Could he be ready to be the main back-up for Hyypia/Carragher?

Welsh has been talked about for years as a big talent.  He's never overly impressed me when I've seen him but admittedly I haven't seen him play on a regular basis.  He has captained England U21 so surely he's not bad.  He may provide centre-mid cover now Igor has gone?

Whitbread is a decent centre-half as well.  I liked what I saw of him in the Carling cup last season.  Definite potential IMO.

Warnock has the taste for it now and i expect him to seriously challenge Djimi for 1st choice left back next season.

Of the rest, Mellor and Le Tallec have had chances, but IMO they aren't good enough.  Pongolle is established in the first team squad next season and showed good improvement, I expect him to get a fair few games when he regains fitness.  Carson needs a season or so before he's ready for the 1st team on a regular basis.  The likes of Potter and Raven I've not seen enough of to comment.

All the chat is about new signings to improve the squad, but we may have a few decent squad players on the books already if given the chance to prove themselves
:)

Pretty much agree with your assessment and with overload of games this year expect to see even more of youngsters then we did last season which can only be good for the club's future.
Though i have to disagree about Le Tallec, i still think ALT has potential and hopefully he has grown up a bit after realising by taking easy loan option rather then battling for a spot has cost him big time last season.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:32 am

i won't include warnock in.. he is 23, if u want to include him, then u must include baros, cisse and alonso... all are 23

Sorry ,I don't know that cisse, baros and alonso are all 23, yet the way they play like superstar.....the future really RED :D
LiverpoolMadman

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:38 am

Yes and there also quite a few highly rated other youngsters that are reportedly on their way. I think his names Anthony Hobbs (17) or something. Arsenal were after him but didnt move quick enough. Word is that he has agreed informally with Rafa.

Theres also Mikel Roque (16) from Catalonian side Llieda who was coveted by Real Madrid. Wokrd on him is that Rafa has already signed him and is simply waiting for a suitable time to unveil his new army.

Then theres Barragan (16) who also plays in La Liga side Seville. Seville failed to offer him a pro contract as hes only just turned legal age for a pro contract.

One more potential target who has stated he would like to link up with RB is Juan Fran (20) a winger from Real Madrid who might prove just a bit out of reach.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:39 am

Oops and i forgot about Anton Ferdinand. Im sure he needs no explanation.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:15 am

bavlondon wrote:Yes and there also quite a few highly rated other youngsters that are reportedly on their way. I think his names Anthony Hobbs (17) or something. Arsenal were after him but didnt move quick enough. Word is that he has agreed informally with Rafa.

Theres also Mikel Roque (16) from Catalonian side Llieda who was coveted by Real Madrid. Wokrd on him is that Rafa has already signed him and is simply waiting for a suitable time to unveil his new army.

Then theres Barragan (16) who also plays in La Liga side Seville. Seville failed to offer him a pro contract as hes only just turned legal age for a pro contract.

One more potential target who has stated he would like to link up with RB is Juan Fran (20) a winger from Real Madrid who might prove just a bit out of reach.

These guys are potential signings, not exactly the point of this thread :no
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:51 pm

I think that the Academy players are overated, Welsh has been knocking around for a couple of years now and never impressed me then he has had a break in the first team, also Potter and Raven aren't good enough, Warrnock and Whitbread are the only talents imo :(

I'd like to see Carson get a go this season, maybe in the Carling cup (or what ever it's called now)
Last edited by Paul C on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Magician » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:15 pm

David Raven is supposed to be the next big thing to come through the Academy.
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magician

Postby Paul C » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:52 pm

The Magician wrote:David Raven is supposed to be the next big thing to come through the Academy.

Just cos he's 'supposed to be' doesn't mean he is, from the times I've seen him play he hasn't done anything, also he was involved in the reserves which if I'm correct got religated this season  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion