Will we have to buy a new midfielder? - For cover.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 am

bigmick wrote:It's by no means a ridiculous point to suggest we may need a midfielder. Zenden was aquired ostensibly as a left-midfielder, but also as one who could on occasions switch inside and play centrally. He actually as we all know showed his best form (such as it was) playing centrally for Middlesboro. His injury now means we have four authentic central-midfielders in Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso and Hamann. If rafa plays the much vaunted 4-5-1 after January, then it's not unreasonable to assume that three of these players may be needed for a defensive set-up (I would assume that either Garcia, Kewell or Ping-Pong would normally play off the front man). It wouldn't need an injury crisis of any major proportions to see Riise playing in a central role which is an experience I don't want to relive given the choice.
The best option is as plain as the nose on your face. Ledley King, centre-half and holding midfielder rolled into one.

I'm not convinced at all by King. Not at all.

That doesn't mean i think he's poor, i just don't think he's what we need. He's no Hyypia.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:37 am

stu_the_red wrote:
bigmick wrote:It's by no means a ridiculous point to suggest we may need a midfielder. Zenden was aquired ostensibly as a left-midfielder, but also as one who could on occasions switch inside and play centrally. He actually as we all know showed his best form (such as it was) playing centrally for Middlesboro. His injury now means we have four authentic central-midfielders in Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso and Hamann. If rafa plays the much vaunted 4-5-1 after January, then it's not unreasonable to assume that three of these players may be needed for a defensive set-up (I would assume that either Garcia, Kewell or Ping-Pong would normally play off the front man). It wouldn't need an injury crisis of any major proportions to see Riise playing in a central role which is an experience I don't want to relive given the choice.
The best option is as plain as the nose on your face. Ledley King, centre-half and holding midfielder rolled into one.

That doesn't mean i think he's poor, i just don't think he's what we need. He's no Hyypia.

Ledley King is a good player, but like any good English player who has one good game for the national has been hyped up as some world class superstar, which Ledley King certainly isnt at the moment. Spurs wouldnt accept lower than 12mil for him IMO and i dont he's worth it to be perfectly honest.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:43 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Ledley King is a good player, but like any good English player who has one good game for the national has been hyped up as some world class superstar, which Ledley King certainly isnt at the moment. Spurs wouldnt accept lower than 12mil for him IMO and i dont he's worth it to be perfectly honest.

Agree he's not worth it, don't agree they hype up all things english.

Dean Ashton is clearly one of the best centre forwards in the country yet he's probably valued at the most about 5million and playing in the first division. I just hope he makes the right move and the manager he signs for gives him the right advice.

For me Stuart Pearce seems like he's gonna be excellent at City. He's after the right players.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:19 am

stu_the_red wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Agree he's not worth it, don't agree they hype up all things english.

Dean Ashton is clearly one of the best centre forwards in the country yet he's probably valued at the most about 5million and playing in the first division. I just hope he makes the right move and the manager he signs for gives him the right advice.

For me Stuart Pearce seems like he's gonna be excellent at City. He's after the right players.

i think ur correct to an extent about ashton, he had some excellent form in the premiership and had sven given him a game and he'd played well or scored in an England shirt he'd deffo be playing premiership football right now and have a transfer value of £10mil plus. Thats what i think happened with Ledley King, Ashton was unlucky to miss out, but id be surprised if he's in the first division for much longer.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:38 am

In my opinion, even with Zenden out with a year long injury, we can very well cope due to our surplus of players on the left side as well as centrally. We have Kewell, Riise, Garcia, and even Warnock who can play in left wing, while we have Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, and Hamann as central midfielders. This in itself tells an awful lot about our need to buy a new midfielder. For that matter, it would seriously take an injury jinx of titanic proportions for us to be really hunting for a new midfielder.

What we need now is an out-and-out right winger ala Simao Sabrosa, which would allow Gerrard to switch back to his favourite position. With Rafa most likely choosing a 4-4-2 formation for most games (with the exception of difficult away games), we would only need 2 central midfielders (we have 4) and 1 left midfielder (we have 4).

Like Stu said, I wouldn't mind having a shot at Ledley King. A utility player who could play in almost the whole of the back line as well as a defensive midfielder, he could come in a reasonable price. But that said, it would definately not happen during the January transfer window.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:51 am

I suppose Warnock could play as a holding midfielder aswell if really required.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:54 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I suppose Warnock could play as a holding midfielder aswell if really required.

Warnock to be a holding midfielder. That would not really happen you know. We need Hamann, Sissoko, AND Alonso to all get injured before that fact has the slightest of possibility to materialise.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:15 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I suppose Warnock could play as a holding midfielder aswell if really required.

stay off the drink lando :O
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:23 pm

We have cover in the middle of the park.

Its a 25+ goal a season man we need.:)
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:43 pm

players needed are in Central defense and Right of midfield.  A striker would be nice, but as i've already said in another post, unless we get most of our money back on Cisse, he's going nowhere.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:49 am

Not being funny, but a couple of seasons ago we'd have said shift Carra up to the holding mid position, and bung a makeshift CB next to Sami.

It actually scares me to say it, but seeing as though Rafa is going to persist with Traore, he could do worse than put him alongside Hyypia to see if any of his quality rubs off on him. Carragher's more than capable of being a cracking holding player (have to say that his distribution has improved massively this season, btw), and if injuries do hit I can see him breaking up tons of attacks before we even have to think about anyone being in a position to exploit Traore.

Note that I mean this only in very extreme situations. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Note that I mean this only in very extreme situations. :D

I don't think it will EVER get that extreme Ivor lad. At least i bloody hope not.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:00 am

Scottbot wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:Note that I mean this only in very extreme situations. :D

I don't think it will EVER get that extreme Ivor lad. At least i bloody hope not.

Well, I don't want to tempt fate, but remember last year's injury crisis...  :sniffle

Hopefully never again.  :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Reina From Spaina » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:23 pm

We will have a new midfielder in Jan.

Mark Gonzales' arrival is imminent. the deal is done.
Reina From Spaina

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:36 pm

Mark Gonzales can't play until next summer despite his arrival in January.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion