Cover for nearly every position

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DAV » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Has anyone any idea where cover for injurys will come from.
With dossena and Arbeloa leaving.
fabio's injury's problems.
insua- looks half decent but had no run in the team, and thats it for left backs
Glen johnson
Degan unknown  (so again 2 right backs) 1 unproven
Carrager.skirtel and Agger thats about it their in the center.
Just seems to me that  the squad is getting a little thin in key areas.
What do the rest of you think
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:53 pm

All I know is that we need a center half, our left back are covered, we have Insua, Aurelio and the little lad Mavinga in that position, so thats for left back position.

I'm only worried with our center half, I don't think Skrtel is up to it, Carragher is losing a bit of his physical shape. Agger, I think is a very good player, but he isn't a dominant center half that we really need (we had hyypia). At right back we are covered, Johnson is fantastic, Degen could prove to be a decent backup and we have Darby who can do the job when called upon.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Martin Kelly is decent and should probably be ahead of Darby in the pecking order for CB.

I think Skrtel is good enough although he takes time to re-find form after injury/suspension.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:42 pm

need to wait till September 1 to make judgments on how thin our depth is
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:44 pm

I think we are a little thin, but isn't that what most people wanted when we were buying too many squad players and not enough quality ? I think we have enough options to cope in most situations. Yes I would have liked another striker, but hopefully one of the young lads (Nemeth?)may get a chance to shine if needs must.

I think we need a lot of luck with injuries this season, but I honestly prefer us buying quality and having fewer "options" than quantity and having lots of "options" but no good ones.
account deleted by request

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:49 pm

s@int wrote:I think we are a little thin, but isn't that what most people wanted when we were buying too many squad players and not enough quality ? I think we have enough options to cope in most situations. Yes I would have liked another striker, but hopefully one of the young lads (Nemeth?)may get a chance to shine if needs must.

I think we need a lot of luck with injuries this season, but I honestly prefer us buying quality and having fewer "options" than quantity and having lots of "options" but no good ones.

Agreed.... especially the last paragraph.

I think the priority for new players should be in this order

1. Right winger
2. Left winger
3. Centre Half
4. Striker

of course if Xabi were to go, we'll need a centre mid at 3, imo
ConnO'var

Postby roberto green » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Stephen Derby too.I think he is ready to make the next step
roberto green

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:58 pm

I'd almost reverse that and say:

1) Forward - at least one.
2) Centre Half - just one, preferrably experienced and dominant in the air.
3) Left Winger - more of a luxury.
4) (Conditional) Right back if Arebloa leaves
LFC2007

Postby GYBS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 pm

A Creative player - ie a david silva is all that we need as an urgency - someone that can play out wide and behind the main striker .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:03 pm

to be honest.. the only thing we need 'urgently' is a backup striker...
- we have 3 CBs which is not ideal but is pretty sufficient unless we get really unlucky with injuries (Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans)(Carvalho, Alex, Terry)(Gallas, Toure, Djouro)...

- LW:  i dont think we have too much of a problem there to be honest... Riera is good enough imo and i expect him to improve in terms of goals and assists now that hes settled in the side...

- RW: Kuyt and Elzhar.. now heres where it gets a bit iffy... think a little more creativity down this flank would go a long way in making us look better when going at smaller sides that park the bus... against top sides Kuyt is more than good enough because other factors come in... so my point is, if we can introduce a bit more creativity to our side in other areas then we can probably get away with what we have now down the right flank against the smaller sides.. if not, this is probably the first area i'd look to improve to try and resolve that problem..

-fullbacks... Aurelio, Insua(still not too sure about him.. think he'll become a good player but whether he is now or not im not too sure.. didnt look too good in the preseason games so far but ill give him the benefit of the doubt because he seemed solid enough last season when called upon), Johnson, Degen... no problems here as far as im concerned... if we bring in a new CB then that would allow us to utilize Carra and Agger in the fullback position if desperate measures are needed...

- FW..... besides Torres i just dont rate any of the players we have... think the only one i'd consider having as a valid option upfront besides Torres is Babel... even then he isnt good enough to come in to replace him in the side if Torres gets a long injury... i think we should sell Voronin, loan Nemeth out and have Babel/Ngog as 3rd and 4th choice... still need that backup forward though... Guess Heskey and Owen dont sound so bad afterall given what we seem to be going into the new season with now do they ?!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:15 pm

aCe' wrote:(Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans)(Carvalho, Alex, Terry)(Gallas, Toure, Djouro)...

(Brown) (Ivanovic, Mancienne) (oh the success they had?)
LFC2007

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:27 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
aCe' wrote:(Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans)(Carvalho, Alex, Terry)(Gallas, Toure, Djouro)...

(Brown) (Ivanovic, Mancienne) (oh the success they had?)

Brown was out all last season...
Carvalho was out all last season and did Mancienne ever play because he was needed ? started 2 games for Chelsea.. would make it (Alex, Terry, Ivanovic)..

as for Arsenal.... no they didnt but thats besides the point i was making... i agree that it wouldnt be ideal going into the new season with 3 CBs only but then again looking at out forwards it wouldnt be logical going into the new season with 1 forward only now would it... in terms of probability, urgency, history..etc its more likely that we'd struggle with the forwards' situation we have rather than lacking extra cover for CB....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:47 pm

The Manc's had four CB's, one was out most of the season, so they had three - and when Ferdinand and Vidic were out they really, really struggled. They might have thought of getting one in Jan. Chelsea had four, and brought Mancienne back as cover, sensible. Arsenal's defence was below par all season.

It's more likely than not that one of our CBs will get injured at some point over the course of the season, if one is out for a lengthy spell, then we're exposed in a key area. That could have serious consequences depending on other circumstances, namely our fixture list, and for the sake of a few million I think it would be sensible to draft in extra cover.
LFC2007

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:50 pm

LFC2007 wrote:The Manc's had four CB's, one was out most of the season, so they had three - and when Ferdinand and Vidic were out they really, really struggled. They might have thought of getting one in Jan. Chelsea had four, and brought Mancienne back as cover, sensible. Arsenal's defence was below par all season.

It's more likely than not that one of our CBs will get injured at some point over the course of the season, if one is out for a lengthy spell, then we're exposed in a key area. That could have serious consequences depending on other circumstances, namely our fixture list, and for the sake of a few million I think it would be sensible to draft in extra cover.

:sleep ... i agree
:laugh:
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 pm

You used examples of clubs who struggled with three CBs as evidence that 3 CBs is sufficient.
:kungfu:
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion