Liverpool land paul jones for cover - Not a french keeper!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:41 pm

Breaking news: Liverpool have brought in Southampton and Wales keeper Paul Jones on loan as cover for Dudek. This guy is really, really good. I'm surprised though that GH didn't opt as usual, for a French player. WONDERS NEVER CEASE.
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:14 pm

as long as he is a short term player I will be happy.
116-1065305004

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:16 pm

good deal really that luzi looked a bit dodgey to me when he came one
columbia

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:22 pm

Not the World's worst keeper but I do have some reservations about a keeper who can't get into the team when they're not top three. He's knocking on a bit too at 36.

Hopefully Dudek won't be out too long, he thought about it before coming off so let's pray that's a sign it isn't too serious
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:49 pm

he's out for two to three weeks apparently
columbia

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:54 pm

If Houllier is no longer keeping faith with Dudek and preferring Kirkland over him, perhaps now would be a good time to sign a quality keeper and let Dudek move on. If Dudek was happy to stay and fight for his place then we'd have three good keepers
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:58 pm

too sign a quality keeper would cost a lot of money, id much preffer they saved the money and bought a world class right sided midfielder or striker.
columbia

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:02 pm

I reckon you could get a good goalkeeper for £2m to £3m. How much did Lehmann cost? Howard only cost about £2m, I think we paid over the odds for Kirkland and Dudek, good as they are
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:09 pm

good point about howard and lehman, ijust doubt gerard houliers ability to get a player that good for that cheap.
columbia

Postby simic_ie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:27 pm

When Kirkland and Dudek were bought the transfer market was a lot different than it is today, prices in general were higher. Liverpool don't need to buy another goalkeeper, and we are not going to get a first team keeper from any club in the Premiership on a one month loan, never mind a top 3 quality keeper. Paul Jones is an established Premiership keeper, he knows the in and outs of the league. The fact he is 36 is irrelevant because keepers age better than outfield players. In fairness to GH, to get an international keeper with proven Premiership quality on a one month loan in such a short space of time was a a very good piece of business indeed.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:31 pm

simic_ie wrote:was a a very good piece of business indeed.

time will tell
columbia

Postby Coley » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:18 pm

I agree with simic_ie i don't think we could have got any better at such short notice.  it wasn't that long ago that a lot of clubs were looking at Jones.  I reckon he's a steady keeper.  That Luzi looks like a flapper to me.  Good business.
Coley

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:22 pm

Very good signing in my opinion. Jones won't let us down.

Well done Houllier.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:28 pm

I think we should try to keep him on a perament basis and get Dudek of the wage bill, I have always been a fan of Jones.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:42 pm

Has wrote:I think we should try to keep him on a perament basis and get Dudek of the wage bill, I have always been a fan of Jones.

Well said Has - he is a very good keeper, although I hope our praise for him doesn't come back to haunt us.

Am I mistaken in saying that I haven't seen you on the forum for a while - if so, welcome back and a happy new year.
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion