Cover for nearly every position

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 pm

i think looking at pre season that the young cbs we have got - kelly san jose and ayala could step in a do a decent job - esp kelly .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:09 pm

LFC2007 wrote:You used examples of clubs who struggled with three CBs as evidence that 3 CBs is sufficient.
:kungfu:

i said i agreed mate... chill dude... and i wouldnt quite say manutd struggled with 3 at any point last season, ideally they would have liked extra cover but end of the day it didnt affect them as much as you'd think it would... neither did Chelsea who essentially played only 3 centerbacks throughout the season..

im not talking about how many they had in their books im talking about the ones who actually played a part during the campaign...

but i really really do agree with you in that we need a backup CB... i think i started a thread about this a couple of months back so yes....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:30 pm

aCe' wrote:..and i wouldnt quite say manutd struggled with 3 at any point last season, ideally they would have liked extra cover but end of the day it didnt affect them as much as you'd think it would... neither did Chelsea who essentially played only 3 centerbacks throughout the season..

That period without Vidic and Ferdinand was a period that could've cost them the title; e.g. Fulham, Villa, Sunderland, Spurs games. They looked very unconvincing at the back with Evans, O'shea at times and even Neville.

Carra doesn't injure easily but Skrtel/Agger do have a bit of history that's worth covering.
LFC2007

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:30 pm

If you look at our best 22 players we are weak in a number of areas.

Cavalieri, Degen, San Jose, Spearing, El Zhar and Ngog are yet to prove they are Premiership players. Babel and Lucus seriously under performed last year, Insua has only played a handful of games and Johnson is a new signing who is unproven playing for a club that is chasing trophies.

A centre back, central midfielder and a striker would be the priorities for me. Distin, Parker and Owen anyone?

Reina
                           Cavalieri

Johnson      Carragher      Agger      Aurelio
Degen          Skrtel        San Jose     Insua

Alonso     Mascherano
                     Lucas       Spearing

Kuyt      Gerrard      Riera
             El Zhar   Benayoun    Babel

Torres
                             Ngog

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Owen is a manc now mate
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 pm

GYBS wrote:Owen is a manc now mate

Goodness, I had no idea! For you see, I have been on Mars for the last decade, in a cave, with my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:25 pm

I was just trying to point out that we could strengthen our squad with proven Premiership players without spending silly money.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 pm

s@int wrote:I think we are a little thin, but isn't that what most people wanted when we were buying too many squad players and not enough quality ? I think we have enough options to cope in most situations. Yes I would have liked another striker, but hopefully one of the young lads (Nemeth?)may get a chance to shine if needs must.

I think we need a lot of luck with injuries this season, but I honestly prefer us buying quality and having fewer "options" than quantity and having lots of "options" but no good ones.

Totally agree there mate . We have a good quality squad now mate , if we can keep hold of them . So i wouldn't be that worried if we made no more signing s now. If we can keep hold of our best players that is.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion