Why gerrard should have been allowed to go

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:14 pm

Please don't bite my head off for this. I for one am delighted that he is staying, but when we sit back and think about it logically, does Steven Gerrard's decision to stay really benefit this club as a whole? Let me explain.

Football fans have a tendency to put way too much faith in the player they see as their club's best. From an early age we put their pictures on our bedroom walls, despite the fact that they are some of the least aesthetically-pleasant creatures. We buy football boots with their signatures on

We start to believe our club's success or failure depends wholly on one or two top players. We often rightly think that we'll be rubbish without them, but that's precisely the problem. The top players often help hide our club's other weaknesses and excuse them from strengthening in depth. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that when a club gets or develops a really massive talent, it actually gives or creates problems that they often fail to solve. It's not inevitable, but it does tend to happen.

Here's the evidence. When you've got a brilliant player in your team, the club becomes totally over-dependent on that player for success. The floor-wiping success of Thierry Henry at Arsenal has, it would seem, retarded their development or signing of other strikers in past years. And on occasion they seem to lack an alternative game plan if Henry isn't getting any success.

They've been lucky that Henry hasn't had a long-term serious injury and his run of good form has been almost unparalleled, but its only now that Arsenal seem to be waking up to their lightweight back-up and how vulnerable it can make them if Henry is injured or not on top form and they don't have different options.

Similarly, Ruud Van Nistelrooy's first two goal-filled seasons hid the fact that Man United didn't have any other really goal-rich strikers and to be fair, while he was banging them in, they didn't need anyone else - but his injury last season and lack of form exposed just how much they had relied on him to bail them out when games were tight or to turn a draw into a win. Ferguson clearly realised this a year ago but despite good signings has still not really sorted it out.

Liverpool, for what seemed like a decade, relied on Michael Owen to score the goals. In fact, for a while our only tactic seemed to be kick it long to Owen to run really fast and hope he scores. There was much gnashing of teeth when he was sold. Our greatest asset and goalscorer, gone.

But of course it meant that we had to think of another plan and oh, we won the Champions League by doing so and, you could argue, did so without a striker who is anywhere near as good as Owen. So Owen going was nothing but good for Liverpool. We didn't need what many assumed was their best player.

The exact same things were being said of Stevie Gerrard. Surely Liverpool should be building the side around him and offering him anything he wants. Well, who knows how it's being resolved? First he was going and now he's staying, maybe in an hour he'll be going if the money gets bigger. Anyone would think Stevie G is suffering from PMT with these kind of mood swings.

But everyone is replaceable. It's been proved time after time.

Chelsea in recent years have had some great players, but only won the league because they had a great team that played as a team and didn't rely too much on any one or two players to win games. And that's the crucial bit, having a great team outweighs having one or more great players many times over, as Real Madrid keep finding out.

Every club worries about losing its best players but there is a lot to be said for cashing in on them if you can. To my mind, £35million for Gerrard would be immeasurably more useful to Rafa Benitez than Gerrard himself. Gerrard is not the equal of five seven million quid players - that's the bald fact. And while him staying might seem like a good idea, I wonder if it is really in the long term. If Chelsea come back with £40million if I were Rick Parry (an unpleasant thought, I know) then I'd bite not only their hand off but their entire arm and some of the shoulder too.

It would of course be madness to sell your best players all the time if you can't replace them with someone good. But it is far from the throat-cutting end-of-the-world scenario that some fans often portray. Teams can grow complacent that their big hitters will do the job and stop working as hard.

So since Gerrard wanted and probably got even more money despite being paid massive cash already, I say, let some other sucker pay it. I said take the money and run. Sure, Gerrard is good, and on occasions brilliant, but I'm not alone in thinking he goes missing in big games too often and since Liverpool have Xabi Alonso, a pretty good replacement already on the books on probably less than half the money, there is nothing to worry about at all in cashing in on your asset - especially when you can buy half a team with the money you'd get.

Players are quick to believe their own hype and exploit it. We just feed their delusions by suggesting they're irreplaceable and that the club should do anything the player wants just to keep them. In Gerrard's case he couldn't make the excuse any longer that he'd be moving "to win things", having just won the CL. He's playing for his hometown club he loves so much, so he says, so the only reason he could have been moving was for more money and when your club is already paying him upwards of 70k a week and offering 30k more, that rightly stuck in the fans' throats.

Perhaps waving him goodbye immediately without fuss or remorse was the best thing Liverpool fans could have done. It would have set an example to other players who are frankly, badge-kissing hypocrites, that we won't be conned by them anymore.

The more we pander to our best players, the more we wring our hands and get hysterical about them if it looks like their going to leave, the more we'll be held to ransom by them and their agents for money that frankly they neither need nor deserve. And in doing so, who knows, maybe become Cyclops :censored: Pickers! Well, maybe.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby wee_boi888 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:29 pm

That's a great post St Mike. I couldnt agree more with what you have said actually. I must question the motives of professional footballers today. If Stevie really loves LFC as much as he says, any contract put on the table should have been signed.

They are earning a living fair enough, but why would Steven want to go to Chelsea or Real Madrid for other than money? Success? There is nothing more successful than staying with a team for seasons and to see them rise to the top of Europe. Given time I adamament I will be saying the Premiership as well.

Some people say fans are fickle. They probably are, but Stevie G just showed us that players are also easily swayed - by money and by their so called "reputation"
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:38 pm

I just think he's a young man who doesn't realise when he's being manipulated.

If he wanted to stay all along, and the club wanted him to stay all along...which third party was convincing him otherwise?  Who had most to gain from him moving?  The fact that he stuck up for his agent doesn't convince me he's an innocent party.
:angry:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby neilE » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:41 pm

Good argument, but I would still say it's better to keep one of the best players in the world if you can. You could but 4/5 players with the money, but you can only put 11 on the pitch at once. I don't think Gerrard is a cynical money grabber - just confused about what he really wants. I really hope he's learnt a lesson, and that for all the encouragement he's getting from the manager and the Board, that they do their best to keep his feet on the ground. He's believed the hype about being the best thing at the club - hopefully he'll start to appreciate that that makes him a part of the team not the point of the team
neilE

Postby barnesrush » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:51 pm

didnt read the whole thing but totally agree with the sentiment. a captain who underacheives, puts his teammates down and holds the club and fans to ransom simply isnt worth anywhere near 35 million to us, so i was looking forward to seeing what rafa had done with the money. this turn around is only a good thing if his attitude also does a u-turn. glad he is staying but perhaps only because it shows we can hold onto the best players.

perhaps its time we as fans put more faith in players due to their personality and integrity rather than where they were born. i certainly took a lot more enjoyment seeing someone like cisse going absolutely mental at the parade than seein SG pondering over how the win affected his possibilities of leaving.

Jus think, imagine if when Baros was signed, he went on to become a player of SG's caliber and became captain. If he then went on to behave like stevie has apparently done (agents spin taken into account) there would not be any fans hesitating over whether we should accept this behaviour over a cheque for 35 big ones.

sure the whole thing is an ego problem on stevies behalf but in backing his agent he has also shown  how naive he can be.

become a good captain steven, and get him on a big contract so if the situation arrises we are in no rush to sell him like we perhaps would be even this year

rafa has shown he will take no :censored:, he now has to tell SG how he wants him to captain the team or he may continue to have a cancerous effect on the club
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:09 pm

St Michael I understand and empathise with your thoughts, but surely as a moderator and respected member you should have known better than to start a thread about the captain of our club and advocate getting rid of him ? ? ? ? ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:13 pm

Sell the captain and make maybe £40m to £50m, I can make a case for it without exceeding ten paragraphs. One man maketh not a team and £40m+ buys a sh1tload of good players
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:15 pm

good post stmichael.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:21 pm

yeah just finished it and agree with pretty much all of it. i still like to think tho that we dont know the whole story by a long way and rafa and parry must have there reasons when it would have been easy to cash in (see mendieta at valencia). we could really do with the cash, new stadium and all, but i try to trust the powers that be as parry is demonstrating he is learning from his mistakes as they have handled this whole fiasco honourably and in the best interests of the club as a business.

good post
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 100%_liverpool » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Good post st Mike. Gerrard should start to behave like a captain from now until he stops playing for liverpool. Last season he was suck a :censored: captain of Liverpool F C. - 1.shouting at players in a negative way if they mis-placed a pass.
2. The stupid comments he comes out with e.g before the Olympiakos game.
3. Not giving his all in every game last season because he had other things on his mind.
4. A Captain shouldn't start shouting "I'm the man" at the crowd. (just shows how big his head is!)

What are Liverpool f.c doing pandering to his needs like a spoilt child. Not once but twice he was about to leave.
I just hope he learns from this because if he carries on it will only end in tears.
I only wish J. C will be named captain. At least we know he will never leave!!!
100%_liverpool

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:26 pm

I :censored: love the way some people expect us to act as normal adoring fans

AFTER he nearly moved to Chavski
AFTER his play for most of last season
AFTER his lack of Captaincy skills for the majority of last season
AFTER this past week

Something needs to desperately change here. I want him to stay, but drastic things need to happen - Carra to be made Captain and Gerrard to sack his agent. Some kind of apology too. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:29 pm

money doesn't buy players now.. it is the attracting factor that attract players right now.. take for example chelsea.. they have all the money they want to buy world class players.. but can they buy them when the players dun want to come at all?
i think the current liverpool team is gd... has a gd backbone.. no point sell away the backbone of the team... just by adding two more world class players, we can be challenging everything. that does = to selling gerrard for money.. every year the club has enough money to make signings.. but gerrard's calibre as a player is someone u can't replace..
Alonso_Rulz

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:31 pm

How can you suggest that selling the man that almost single handedly got us into the champions league last year and then played a bigger role than any one else in helping us win it should be sold ?  Please god Gerrard doesn't read this forum. 

I'm afraid yesterday the moderators tried to take the moral high ground and were busy painting Gerrard as a judas figure and were ranting that we'd be better off without him.  Stop trying to justify those comments.  Our captain will be playing in red next year and doing his best to lead us to more glory in the rafalution.  Get behind him and support him because he is going to be around for quite a while.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:34 pm

we are behind him and supporting him, it's just that he needs to make up his mind once for all and sign the contract as soon as possible.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:38 pm

Well said St Mike. I wonder if Moris has said something to upset Stevie, so now he's had to backtrack. We can do without this sh*te from our Captain, and I was getting excited about the players we could have bought with the money. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to keep him IF he sorts his attitude and commitment out, but I'd sooner see Ballack, Jaoquin, SWP et al at LFC, if he doesn't. (Ofcourse I'd like the players AND SG to sort himself out!!!!!)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion