New players - Defenders and forward

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sparky1970 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:50 pm

I think last nights performance proved a few things we need 2 new defenders and a proven forward to take us to the next level the midfield is more or less sorted so hopefully with champions league assured we will have the money to buy the players we clearly need, one other point the time has come for kirkland to replace dudek if he can stay fit if not then we must look for a new keeper before its to late.
sparky1970

Postby 109-1093441336 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:16 pm

Couldn't agree more.  ;)

But i would say the striker should be a throwaway to what we've bought during the last few years or so. We don't need anymore finishers (Cisse, Baros)   ??? we don't a need a wardrobe (Heskey, although i would of liked to hung him somewhere where wen he was with us).:angry:

what we need is a link foward, that instinctively doesn't think about shooting straight away or heading it for a throw-in.

They're hard to find and expensive but we have one already, and his name is kewell.   

I think his wing days are behind him, his thrust has gone, but technically he's be a superb player to play behind Baros.  The last two seasons as Leeds he didn't play on the left wing at all instead behind Viduka/Smith and was his most productive seasons since he first rose to prominence in 2000(Y.P.o.t.Y)

Now with Garcia here i think this would be the wise " move ".

Having two finishers in Baros AND Cisse is more than enuff, it's the complimentary partnership is what's lacking. MARK MY WORDS Baros/Cisse is doomed no matter how good they are individually. Neither are willing to take a step back and play in their partner.

And yeah we need a CB quickly...dunno whats going on with Kuffor and Collocini.  My feeling are a CB will be bought in January as opposed to what we'd like, NOW !!  :angry:
109-1093441336

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:23 pm

If we give Kewell more freedom and play him in the hole behind Baros and Cisse would a midfield of Alonso, Garcia and Gerrard be strong enough to protect the back four ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:25 pm

Sean wrote:If we give Kewell more freedom and play him in the hole behind Baros and Cisse would a midfield of Alonso, Garcia and Gerrard be strong enough to protect the back four ?

you damn right it would. xabi alonso was the best holding midfielder in spain by a mile.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:28 pm

Well thats it.  We've just cracked it.  4-3-3.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby adayinthelife » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:33 pm

When Wenger arrived he signed petit and Vieira to sit and protect the back 4.

I have no doubt Alonso and Gerrard could do this comfortably but it would stop them getting forward as much.

IMO they can both score alot of goals as they both have great shots and have alot more to offer going forward than petit or Vieira ever did.

They are 2 great passers of the ball and should get the ball further up the pitch where they can cause alot more problems.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:37 pm

adayinthelife wrote:When Wenger arrived he signed petit and Vieira to sit and protect the back 4.

I have no doubt Alonso and Gerrard could do this comfortably but it would stop them getting forward as much.

IMO they can both score alot of goals as they both have great shots and have alot more to offer going forward than petit or Vieira ever did.

They are 2 great passers of the ball and should get the ball further up the pitch where they can cause alot more problems.

exactly.

this whole concept of a "holding midfielder" is b#llocks if you ask me. it's just plain negativity. in alonso and gerrard we have got two superb all round midfielders who can defend brilliantly, but are also superb passers, have a thumping shot and will get from box to box.

the premiership beware! :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 109-1093441336 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:07 pm

i hope Rafa can teach the players how to play in small spaces sooner rather than later.

One thing that really frustrates is whenevr we get ourselves out of a situation its done by the individual, rather than playing in triangles or with a one-two.

yesterday Potter did a great nutmeg on the opposing player only to play into no mans land. This wasn't his fault but the lack of support provided by Gerrad and Diao.  They weren't giving him the option to play it simply and then to leather an attack.

what the midfield must learn under Benitez is to play in small spaces and once thats mastered not to straight away play a long pass and ignore the support ala Gerrard.

Im sure rafa wil do this and i think he can as he showed with the transfer of defence minded valencia to attacked minded Valencia.
109-1093441336

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion