What is success? - Role models

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby samson1 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:12 pm

Can someone please define success for me? I understand success to be associated with acheivement, fulfilment, being number ONE basically a role model for the general community. Liverpool is a great city due to its great people.  Social justice, equality, pride, never say die attitude, community. 

Chelsea spend 120million on players win the league and champions league.

Liverpool spend nothing, team made up of local talent, finish second and finish in semi finals of champions league.

Who's the most successful??
samson1

Postby kopfanade » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:14 pm

Who will proudly show there winners medals to their kids?
I'm sick of people in this country thinking we've done well to finish second,or, Its not the winning its the taking part that counts cr#p. Its a bloody good job we didn't say that during WW2 or Dietmar Harmen would be our only regular home grown player!!!
kopfanade

Postby 116-1065305004 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:52 am

samson1 wrote:Can someone please define success for me? I understand success to be associated with acheivement, fulfilment, being number ONE basically a role model for the general community. Liverpool is a great city due to its great people.  Social justice, equality, pride, never say die attitude, community. 

Chelsea spend 120million on players win the league and champions league.

Liverpool spend nothing, team made up of local talent, finish second and finish in semi finals of champions league.

Who's the most successful??

Well it would be Chelsea because no one remembers the team that finished 2nd!
No matter how much money our rivals spend the only time Liverpool FC will have a good season is by finishing 1st and 1st ONLY!
Houllier will brainwash our fans into thinking that finishing 10th will be a good season soon! :angry:
116-1065305004

Postby Owzat » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:10 pm

The (you don't have to be) champions league has made people redefine "success" - the target of too many teams is to get into the top four. In truth, success is all relative but a club as big as Liverpool should be winning trophies not finishing second :(
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:07 pm

Success for Liverpool is winning the League and/or Champions in League in any given season, with the odd FA Cup thrown in for good measure. Nothing else, not the UEFA Cup cos we shouldn't be in it. Not the Coca Cola/ Worthington/ Carling/Whatever Cup cos its not worth the hassle of turning on the tv to watch necer mind actually going to see the match. That is success for Liverpool.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:23 pm

We should be aiming at a trophy a season BUT should not settle for a minor trophy all the time. Once we had won the "treble" we needed to move on and our definition of success should have changed accordingly. I don't expect an ever increasing amount of success but the lack of significant success last season and the flagging league campaign is not good enough for a club of the stature of Liverpool FC
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:57 pm

Gerrard Houlier has spent just as much money as Chelsea.  I read in an article last week that he was criticising cheque book football.  It was the pot calling the kettle black for me.

I'm not sure if your being sarcastic samson1 but liverpool have always had players who have never been exactly local. 

Even their greatest manager was Scottish.  The great european sides have had Scotts and Irish, Welsh, Australian basically liverpool have never been shy in bring overseas players into the team.  Yes there have always been local talent in the side but come on, this has been a rarity ever since Shankly travelled all the way to a Motherwell game to buy Ian St John, telling him he was going to play for the greatest team in Britain, with the greatest supporters and the greatest training ground. 

Liverpool from that point on lived up to these expectaions.

I am a passionate Shankly fan even as much as a liverpool fan.  For me the two are inseperatable.  Therefore I judge success as the great man did first is everything second is nowhere.  Shankly created a legacy for future managers like Paisley and Fagan to bring us greatness. 

I would be a traitor to all that I believe and hold dear if I did not set my expectations of Liverpool F.C. as high as Shankly's but more importantly I would be a traitor to the memory of one of the greatest ever men that made football a big part of this nations life.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion