Zenden to play in cm role?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:56 pm

From Fansfc.com:

The former Chelsea, Barcelona and Middlesbrough winger missed the majority of his first campaign on Merseyside after sustaining a knee ligament injury against Real Betis in November.

Zenden is back to full fitness however and with Dietmar Hamann set to join Manchester City shortly, boss Rafa Benitez believes he has a ready-made replacement.

"He is training again now and I was really happy with him at the end of last season," said the Anfield supremo.

"He was injured, but he was always in the dressing room and he was always encouraging his team-mates and supporting them.

"This year he has started pre-season training really well. I am thinking about using him sometimes as a central midfielder because he has experience at Middlesbrough in this position.

"He also has quality, and with his experience and his game intelligence he can give us more things.

"I think he was happier in this position, and with us losing Hamann, we will have Momo Sissoko, Stevie Gerrard and Xabi Alonso for that position - and maybe Bolo, too."
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:06 pm

I just saw that myself.  This makes perfect sense to me.  Why pay money we apparently don't have for a new back-up CM when we've already got Bolo?  He's a canny enough vet to fill that role and he did well with it at Boro.  Hopefully there won't be too many games where Xabi and Momo aren't available but when that's the case, Zenden's good cover.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:07 pm

I thought Rafa would play him in a  central role once Hamman left, I think he will do a good job there filling in from time to time. Lets hope he can stay injury free and have a productive season.
Bman

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:22 pm

I watched us against M'boro in the cup the season before last and Zenden played in the middle of the park, he had a perfectly good goal disallowed and ran the show, even though we still won :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:23 pm

In the few times he played in the centre he seemed more effective to be honest.

He shone in the cetral role at Boro so hopefully he can do the same here now Hamman has gone.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:24 pm

bavlondon wrote:In the few times he played in the centre he seemed more effective to be honest.

He shone in the cetral role at Boro so hopefully he can do the same here now Hamman has gone.

What about Aimar though  ???
Bman

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:26 pm

he shines in the middle because that's his best position, simple as. it's tempting to think that he's more effective on the left simply because he's left footed but he doesn't have the pace or trickery to play there anymore.

boro still haven't managed to replace him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:32 pm

stmichael wrote:he shines in the middle because that's his best position, simple as. it's tempting to think that he's more effective on the left simply because he's left footed but he doesn't have the pace or trickery to play there anymore.

boro still haven't managed to replace him.

Agreed, he can also give us some more attacking flair in the middle.

I said that before, that zenden won't leave because he will be used more in the middle next season
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:41 pm

Bman wrote:
bavlondon wrote:In the few times he played in the centre he seemed more effective to be honest.

What about him?
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bman » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 pm

Paul C wrote:
Bman wrote:

What about him?

I thought Bavlondon thought Aimar would be the perfect replacement for Haman  :laugh:
Bman

Postby GOAT » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:09 pm

Yeah he could do the job there, decent backup CM, stops a lot of the crowding of players for the left wing spot too
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby mikopool » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:15 pm

I mentioned his ability to play on the left of the center midfeild earlier (can't recall the thread) I would love to see him play there because he has a real eye for goal and loads of pace, now who he replaces is the hard part.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby deejay-cgt » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:49 pm

bolo in centre give us more going forward with his pace also depending who is on the left it would let the left cut in and bolo could move over to cover.
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Bman wrote:

What about him ?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Bman wrote:

???  :laugh:
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion