We will win champions league - Boss talks up our chances

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Now I dont know about you guys, but there has been a lot of talk about if we could win the CL, then the race for 4th would be meaningless.
Blind faith sees our manager saying that we can win the Champions League, so that our attempts to clinch 4th spot from the scum would be indeed, meaningless.
However, this can ne a dangerous ploy, as there are some magnificent teams still in the competition, even after the 2nd leg is completed, and if the boss says that we might be a chance, this would give the players a sense of complacency during the rest of the Premiership campaign.
This is an optimistic view, and maybe we could challenge for the trophy, but there are many excellent teams as obstacles in our way. Maybe its down to continously being frustrated at our displays in the Premiership that has brought this on, but its still a little blind faith that we all cling to. But not exactly sane.

RAFA: WE CAN WIN THE EUROPEAN CUP
Paul Rogers 06 March 2005 
  Rafael Benitez might have just endured his worst week yet as Liverpool manager but the Anfield boss insists his side can still make a success of the season by winning the European Cup in May. 
Benitez believes that Liverpool can still qualify for the Champions League next season by claiming fourth place in the Premiership despite losing to Newcastle on Saturday but if they were to go on to win the trophy this season, as the manager thinks we're capable of, the race for fourth would be meaningless.

"Last season there was not one person who spoke about Porto and Monaco reaching the Champions League final when we got to this stage," claims Rafa. "It was all about madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Milan, Manchester United and Arsenal. But in the end it was Porto who were champions, so why not Liverpool?

"I have confidence in my team. If we beat Leverkusen we will only be two ties away from the final and we have the advantage that whatever team we draw, they will have to come to Anfield and face our team as well as our fans.

"We have played very well in the Champions League. There have been good performances in the league too, against Arsenal and Chelsea we looked very good. It shows that when it comes to thee top teams we are good enough to compete against them.

"Against Leverkusen, we know how important it will be to score one goal. We are good enough to win the Champions League, I am sure of that. I want to recreate the magic of those European nights in the '70s. I watch the videos and my wife reads books about Liverpool's history. At 3-0 against bayer leverkusen it was one of those nights to remember. But 3-1 is still a good score to take to Germany. We will also have Steven Gerrard avaialble for this game.

"It was Bill Shankly who made this club hungry for success. It was the basis of the club going on to win four European Cups even without him. That is what we are looking or now."
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:26 pm

.. we have the best chance of any of the English teams of getting in to the next round.  We will make it ..  after that it's anybody's cup..

...and I agree we have to believe to achieve.. who could have forecasted that Porto wud win it last yr.. so whilst we know there is much to do to improve our grt club.. we have a manager who can instill the belief..

... whatever happens.. I say lets go out and try and win the damn thing.. we ain't there to make up the numbers .. hell no.. we're in it to win it... COME ON THE REDS ....
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:26 pm

the beauty of the european Cup is that it is knock-out so you never know what can happen. The best team in Europe can have one off day and be out of the competition.

So yes, of course we can win it, we are major outsiders but I think that favours us.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:05 pm

This isnt our last resort though, there can still be a chance that we can pip the scum for 4th, even though it is slim pickings. To say that we can win the Champions League, will let some of our players off the hook in our domestic league, and those performances can't merit a start in the side for the Champions League games. There are some great squads left in the competition, and if we are serious about making it through, our domestic form must show forth onto the pitch in the european game. Lets not forget that Monaco and Porto were highly successful in their domestic leagues while they were competing for the champions league, and this is something we are not doing at the moment.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:52 pm

realisically we`re not going to win the champions league with our away form. but i will say that out of all the english clubs we in the best position. if we did get through we need to have a lucky draw again against lyon or someone.
we might beat barca or milan in a one off game at a neutral ground if they didnt perform but i couldnt see us going away to their places and keeping a clean sheet, and after watching how chelsea never got a kick of the ball at the noucamp if we have any real aspirations of winning the cl we want chelsea to beat barca.
at least we have ran them close 3 times this season and luck has gone against us at crucial moments. maybe the law of averages would favour us this time. if the competition pans out in such a way that we avoid barca and milan i think we are in with a decent shout against all the others including madrid. we wouldnt be favourites but we would have a fighting chance.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:20 pm

we ain't gonna win the 2nd leg against leverkuson (nvm the champions league) if rafa opts to play defensive again.

We don't have the best defence in europe to do this. The only teams i see capable of doing it are Chelsea, Milan & Juventus.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby romliv » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:40 pm

The_Rock wrote:we ain't gonna win the 2nd leg against leverkuson (nvm the champions league) if rafa opts to play defensive again.

We don't have the best defence in europe to do this. The only teams i see capable of doing it are Chelsea, Milan & Juventus.

i agree whith you
when we don't have what we love, we must love what we have!
romliv

Postby el_stinger » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:48 pm

Why do we have to change formation everytime we hit the road?
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:21 am

I can't see Juventus winning it, actually back when there was a poll i was one of the absent minded individuals that wanted to be paired against them.  The Italian league has been soft and it seems that nearly every game is decided by a controversial penalty, where in england we have mike riley and steve bennet to deny them.  Also according to Fifa 2005 they have a terrible defence :laugh:  :laugh:
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Iceman69 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:37 am

Can't see us pulling it off this year, unfortunately.

Squads too light..no Alonso, Cisse, Morientes etc.

Only Biscan and Smicer to take on Real and Milan!

Optimism and dreams are ok, but you have to bear in mind that we have underperformed this season.

Won 13, lost 12, draawn 4.!

Bad news
Iceman69

Postby 1234ram » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:10 pm

yeah i tink itz gna be our year
1234ram

Postby JC_81 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:17 pm

Wot a bunch of negative ba@st@rds!!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:23 pm

Iceman69 wrote:Can't see us pulling it off this year, unfortunately

i remember LFC being one nil down to the Arsenal in the FA Cup final, and somehow winning it

perhaps, just perhaps
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:30 pm

"I have confidence in my team. If we beat Leverkusen we will only be two ties away from the final and we have the advantage that whatever team we draw, they will have to come to Anfield and face our team as well as our fans" Benitez - sky sports news

i just love this quote. ok, he says that as porto did it so can we, but he also appreciates just how good the fans are. rafa is a true gentleman manager
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ArgentinaCRESPO » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:39 pm

i dont believe because liverpool doesnt have offence player.only baros he is not enough
got no money,no car, not even a slut to :censored:/but i don't care/ because we are carsi, kings of the world. or:got no money for the bar/too ugly to pull a girl/no charisma to cut a cool image/but we belong to besiktas, so :censored: the lot of you. the club colours are black and white:white-black, life-death
ArgentinaCRESPO

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion