We will be back!!!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Tue May 06, 2014 10:39 am

I'm getting a little bit tired of all the talk that this was our "best chance in years" and the defeatist attitude that other teams are going to improve so we won't be winning it for years. 

Why can't we challenge again next season? 

City are under investigation for breaching FFP rules and although they'll get a slap on the wrist at best this time, I don't see them getting away with continuing to spend recklessly.  Chelsea are still being managed by a negative, delusional nut job who appears to have lost the plot.  Arsenal are Arsenal.  There is no guarantee that United will bounce back regardless of who their manager is.  And Spurs and Everton will still be wannabe big clubs next season. 

Meanwhile, we have a very young manager and squad.  We've just qualified for the CL, will have more money this summer and can attract some new players.  The younger players like Flanno, Sakho, Hendo, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling will also have learned so much from this title challenge and will be better players for it.

It looks as though a little naivety has cost us the title this season but we've exceeded our targets and I have no doubt that we will learn from this, improve our squad and go again next season. 

And maybe we can still dream of an Istanbul style miracle this Wednesday or Sunday   :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:48 am

I'm in your camp mate...    it's been a fantastic season and it still could get better. We can still win this!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue May 06, 2014 11:54 am

Been an amazing season. Loved every minute of it. This is probably the youngest squad in the league and we're still in with a shot of winning it on the last day. So proud of all the staff and players.

The idea of "throwing it away" is nonsense. We've won 11 of our last 13 games.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue May 06, 2014 11:57 am

I agree on the 11 games, been a fantastic run. To be honest our defensive failings have finally caught up with us - some of the earlier wins could easily have been draws or losses.

I can't see City slipping up I am afraid but see no reason why we can't challenge next season - but we have to make the right signings.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 12:49 pm

jacdaniel » Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 am wrote:I'm getting a little bit tired of all the talk that this was our "best chance in years" and the defeatist attitude that other teams are going to improve so we won't be winning it for years. 

Well...it will be from the usual suspect that said we will be finishing 6th or 7th at best for this season and that Suarez will leave because we won't qualify for CL...the typical "cup half empty" tools

I'll say what happened this season might drill more steel and wisdom onto this team and made them a winner. Yes it made us sick that we fell at the very last hurdle but this will be a good time to show the mentality of the players and manager. The winner will learn well and get stronger with each failure and adversary while the weak will drown in the thoughts of "what if", "no chance" and "we're not going to be good enough". I'll say b0110cks let's see how big a cajones this team possess
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Well in Jacdaniel

I with you mate and my summer prediction will be for champions again  :D

Further more while been a bit of heartbreak over last couple of games the season still aint over yet

To the end......even if it is a bitter end
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:41 pm

then regroup in the summer... sign a new defense... and off we go again
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 pm

If we get a decent defence and keep our attack and strengthen midfield we will be a force to reckon with next year
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue May 06, 2014 4:05 pm

I'll talk about what might have been when City don't lose to either Villa or West Ham. It's been a crazy season. Just look at what happened in Spain last weekend. The dream isn't over !!!!!!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 06, 2014 4:06 pm

We did blow the title (last Sunday) but the season overall has been absolutely magnificent.
It'll be a long wait before we put 5 past Arsenal, 5 past Spurs, 4 past Everton and dominate United for 90 minutes at Old Trafford again.
We'll probably finish the season as the only club to score 100 league goals in a season and not win the title.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Not saying that we won't challenge for the thing again, but it's true that it will be more difficult for us next season. Our rivals will get stronger and we'll also have the Champions League distraction. We've played this entire season in 5th gear, constantly attacking their goal, playing fast football etc. We won't be able to do that next season because of the CL. We'll need to learn to slow the tempo down when we're in a comfortable lead.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

This seasons not done yet and West Ham can beat Man City.

Not over until its over.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Tony Barrett put it perfectly in the times today "Liverpool failed to meet a goal they didn't set themselves"

We can't beat ourselves up too much, our expectations have been well and truly blown away this season. Heartbreaking to get so close but I can't view it as a failure no matter how much it hurts.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Wed May 07, 2014 9:55 pm

parchpea » Wed May 07, 2014 8:39 pm wrote:This seasons not done yet and West Ham can beat Man City.

Not over until its over.

Never say never but can't see City losing at home to a West Ham team with nothing to play for. They will probably have Aguero back as well and will be in party mood at home. City have looked edgy in recent games but our result on Monday has just completely taken the pressure of them. Had we won, I really think City would have bottled it. Really is gutting but we have been amazing and after the going nowhere in recent years, I have loved every minute of this season and puts us firmly back up there
Doeboy

Postby The Good Yank » Wed May 07, 2014 11:23 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 pm wrote:Tony Barrett put it perfectly in the times today "Liverpool failed to meet a goal they didn't set themselves"

We can't beat ourselves up too much, our expectations have been well and truly blown away this season. Heartbreaking to get so close but I can't view it as a failure no matter how much it hurts.

I feel exactly the same mate.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion