We need our own abramovic! - Dont slate me just yet!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedorDead » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:54 am

Posted: Feb. 17 2006,20:50 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (Small John @ Feb. 17 2006,00:39)
Quote (stu_the_red @ Feb. 16 2006,20:58)
I don't care how much money anyone costs, money doesn't buy you good players. Money buys you expensive ones. Not all expensive players are great players.

There are players out there like Pennant, Dunn, Ashton, Bullard and Barton who could get into almost if not every side in the country yet managers don't gamble on these players down to fear of getting it wrong.

You say players like Crouch don't win you tournements, correct, neither do players like Gerrard. Team's win you tournements. Everton last year being a good example of a team, hardly any individual could get into our side, yet they finished above us in the league...

You don't need money to be successful.

That is so untrue.

If so many Chelsea players are overated, How come I'd take Essien, Duff, Robben, Drogba and Crespo  any day of the week, to make our team one hell of a lot stronger.

Everton only finished above LFc last season in the league, as LFC's overall performance was woeful. Every time Everton got beat, so did we!

Blackburn won the Premiership with Jack walkers money, Chelsea won it once, and soon to be twice.

Money DOES buy you success, as you can bid for the best players on the market. Essien was one of the reasons Lyon were so strong before he left.

When was the last time, LFC bought a player, and you thought "WOW" ...top class player, that will dramatically improve the squad? ????
Crouch....No! Cisse.....No!...Morientes...No!....Sissoko..No! Zenden.
Garcia you could argue yes, but i'd never heard of him before, and he's been slated by many fans. ALonso, unkn own before arriving from Real Sociedad.

The difference in the quality signings there, I have to say is massive.

Truth is, Rafa is trying to do things on the cheap, but until he wins the EPL doing that, then you have to say money talks.
Like Agger, only been a pro for 2 years, unproven, Kromkamp, unrated and looks shaky. Paletta, only 20 and unproven.

Well can anyone tell me.....if you guys don't think that chelsea are not that much stronger than LFC with thier money, then how come every top club and manager in Europe rates Chelsea as being better than LFC?, and they are one of the favorites to win the CL, and are more feared than us at home and in Europe? In last seasons CL semi final , both managers in the other leg, AC milan and the other team, thought Chelsea would beat LFC. How come if Chelsea hadnt even won 1 league title at that point? It's about buying class and feared players.

They werent even title contenders before Roman Abromovich came along, and now look.

Its because of the players they have signed.

Doesn't say much for our history and european cup win that does it?

I bet half of you were biting Steve Morgans arm off for his 70m investment, money is important.

BavLondon, I agree with what you say, more investment for bigger names is required.

Thankyou, Im sure if we had major investmant now none of you would be moaning. Instead youd all be drooling over the next player we are set to get.

I must say that I totally and 100% unreservedly disagree with you Bavlondon. I respect your opinion but I would most definitly NOT be happy with us spending over £200 million in 3 years and buying the league title.
Many have mentioned it already but we are a proud club stooped in glorious history and continued success for decades on end and it would destroy everything tis club and it;s supporters stood for to suddenly start buying players for £20mill here and £30mill there. The working classes who flock to Anfield every week come to see the fanous Liverpool Football Club and not a "team" such as Chelsea or Real Madrid which has totally alienated half it's supporters and become a brand name before anything else.
Teams such as us and Manchester Utd do things the right way, yes we spend but we spend wisely, we buy top players but sensibly and within budget, we use such investments in players to support our younger talent and homegrown players. Arsenal also spend wisely not frivolously and have had considerable success while maintaining strict wage policies.
I repeat, i do not want to be taken over by a billionaire of any nationality, I do not want to buy success, I would rather lose with pride and maintaining what the club stands for then win and destroy everything we are.....and a point that is seriously worth mentioning is that we are still a very successful club, we won a historic cup treble 4 years ago, a record fifth European Cup last season...the league will come but I am happy that I support the best football club in the world in the mean time...the BEST football club, not the richest.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:46 am

bavlondon wrote:
Small John wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:I don't care how much money anyone costs, money doesn't buy you good players. Money buys you expensive ones. Not all expensive players are great players.

There are players out there like Pennant, Dunn, Ashton, Bullard and Barton who could get into almost if not every side in the country yet managers don't gamble on these players down to fear of getting it wrong.

You say players like Crouch don't win you tournements, correct, neither do players like Gerrard. Team's win you tournements. Everton last year being a good example of a team, hardly any individual could get into our side, yet they finished above us in the league...

That is so untrue.

If so many Chelsea players are overated, How come I'd take Essien, Duff, Robben, Drogba and Crespo  any day of the week, to make our team one hell of a lot stronger.

Everton only finished above LFc last season in the league, as LFC's overall performance was woeful. Every time Everton got beat, so did we!

Blackburn won the Premiership with Jack walkers money, Chelsea won it once, and soon to be twice.

Money DOES buy you success, as you can bid for the best players on the market. Essien was one of the reasons Lyon were so strong before he left.

When was the last time, LFC bought a player, and you thought "WOW" ...top class player, that will dramatically improve the squad? ???? ??????
Garcia you could argue yes, but i'd never heard of him before, and he's been slated by many fans. ALonso, unkn own before arriving from Real Sociedad.

Truth is, Rafa is trying to do things on the cheap, but until he wins the EPL doing that, then you have to say money talks.
Like Agger, only been a pro for 2 years, unproven, Kromkamp, unrated and looks shaky. Paletta, only 20 and unproven.

Well can anyone tell me.....if you guys don't think that chelsea are not that much stronger than LFC with thier money, then how come every top club and manager in Europe rates Chelsea as being better than LFC?, and they are one of the favorites to win the CL, and are more feared than us at home and in Europe? In last seasons CL semi final , both managers in the other leg, AC milan and the other team, thought Chelsea would beat LFC. How come if Chelsea hadnt even won 1 league title at that point? It's about buying class and feared players.

They werent even title contenders before Roman Abromovich came along, and now look.

I bet half of you were biting Steve Morgans arm off for his 70m investment, money is important.

BavLondon, I agree with what you say, more investment for bigger names is required.

Thankyou, Im sure if we had major investmant now none of you would be moaning. Instead youd all be drooling over the next player we are set to get.

You're taking Hustlers words of wisdom as back up? :D
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:50 am

bavlondon wrote:
RAFABENITEZ wrote:bavlondon, you sir are a tool of the highest order. :D

And you my friend are not willing to accept that Chelsea have the mean to dominate the game domestically and quite frankly on a European level for quite some time and you can moan about how we a traditional club al you want beacsue yes we did win the Euro cup last season but can you see us doing it year in year out with consistensy. The same consistensy that enabled Chelsea to seta new record in England No !!!!!

The fact is that if RP turned around tommorrow and said to all the fans the club now has the means to compete with the best teams in the world on financial level would you complain no you wouldnt. If you have the money spend it!!!!!!

Do you class Real Madrid as a side like Chelsea. How much did they spend on players in the last 4 years!!!! But many people consider them one of the world most elite sides. Similarly to us they have won the European cup many times and the money has helped them establish and maintain themselves so investment would not eliminate all th work weve put in but instead preserve it and build on it.

What you're saying makes you sound like a glory seeking out of town fan.

Being from London you're definately half of that.

Respect the values of LFC and support what LFC stands for or do one. Real fans have put across the REASON'S why we shouldn't and won't go down that road. Accept it and move on. This club will should never sell out and should ALWAYS do things properly.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:53 am

RedorDead wrote:
Posted: Feb. 17 2006,20:50 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (Small John @ Feb. 17 2006,00:39)
Quote (stu_the_red @ Feb. 16 2006,20:58)
I don't care how much money anyone costs, money doesn't buy you good players. Money buys you expensive ones. Not all expensive players are great players.

That is so untrue.

When was the last time, LFC bought a player, and you thought "WOW" ...top class player, that will dramatically improve the squad? ????

I must say that I totally and 100% unreservedly disagree with you Bavlondon. I respect your opinion but I would most definitly NOT be happy with us spending over £200 million in 3 years and buying the league title.
Many have mentioned it already but we are a proud club stooped in glorious history and continued success for decades on end and it would destroy everything tis club and it;s supporters stood for to suddenly start buying players for £20mill here and £30mill there. The working classes who flock to Anfield every week come to see the fanous Liverpool Football Club and not a "team" such as Chelsea or Real Madrid which has totally alienated half it's supporters and become a brand name before anything else.
Teams such as us and Manchester Utd do things the right way, yes we spend but we spend wisely, we buy top players but sensibly and within budget, we use such investments in players to support our younger talent and homegrown players. Arsenal also spend wisely not frivolously and have had considerable success while maintaining strict wage policies.
I repeat, i do not want to be taken over by a billionaire of any nationality, I do not want to buy success, I would rather lose with pride and maintaining what the club stands for then win and destroy everything we are.....and a point that is seriously worth mentioning is that we are still a very successful club, we won a historic cup treble 4 years ago, a record fifth European Cup last season...the league will come but I am happy that I support the best football club in the world in the mean time...the BEST football club, not the richest.

Well said.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:40 am

can we stop having a go at london fans, not all of us are complete chumps.

I for one have loved liverpool since i was 4. my folks were not into football and i just went with the trend... i was 4!!! my views on geographical situations weren't all that back then.

Also it could be said a lot of people on ehre are glory hunters, what with all the newbies that have joined since we won stuff (not everyone, please dont shout.)

anyways, back to topic, i dont wanna buy the league as i said earlier, im gonna enjoy it more when we win it with dignity
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:47 am

answer the call lads, we are the famous kopites, the best fans in the world. Them manc :censored: are coming and theyre gonna make sme noise. I tell ya all, get the noise going all game . :censored: THE NO STANDING UP ETC, MAKE it hell fr them :censored: in the annie road. And IF worse comes to worse, no one stop singing, no one leave early!!!!
scarves up for ynwa
get them 5 sheets in.
and get :censored:.
im n the stella now !!!!
cummon lads lets do them :censored:!!!!!!!!!
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:25 pm

as long as more russians don't move in all will settle out-- roman won't stay forever nor take these loses forever. that big sponsorship is not going to cover the losses -- its 100 million for 10 years.

the fact is stamford bridge doesn't seat enuff to get gate revenue so they just can't generate as much as us man or newcastle-- i know they are above us on the turnover list but we are miles ahead of them in profits and in the end that will rule out

under no circumstance would i like to see a salary cap like they have over here, they don't work nor do i want a sugar daddy

pool has tradition, pride, honesty and history -- winning the epl every year wouldn't be worth losing that and besides i think we are a couple of players shy of being there

face it, we outplyed united today, arsenal last week and fight it out with chelsea every time so why do we need to change our ways.

like i said before, let me lose 200 million, spent 200 million on players and even i could be successfull -- jose is a magnificent manager but we will beat them with rafa making money and not spending 20 million on swp nor 17 on owen -- i love the guy but it couldn't be done
vlady16.1

Postby simolonge » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:41 am

bavlondon wrote:

And you my friend are not willing to accept that Chelsea have the mean to dominate the game domestically and quite frankly on a European level for quite some time and you can moan about how we a traditional club al you want beacsue yes we did win the Euro cup last season but can you see us doing it year in year out with consistensy.

Is this BAVLondon's truer colors now coming to the fore ?

Are you really a RENT BOY ?
simolonge

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:03 am

No Way

I'd rather be a football club than a fantasy football team buying there way to sucess and squeezing the life out of other clubs in the league.

Im glad Theo Walcott didnt go to chelski cos he would have been ruined just like shaun wright-phillips is. I hate Chelski and the way they do business and I dont think the Liverpool will ever go that way having money because you earned it through revenue is one thing but spending money  the club doesnt have, the amount of loss chelski took in the past few seasons has been more than liverpool earns even with champions league wins, It not healthy for the game of football.

Personally I cant wait for a certain russian to get in trouble for his "dodgey dealings" back in russia Didier Dogshit with a price tag of £1.50 lol :D
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:33 am

simolonge wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

And you my friend are not willing to accept that Chelsea have the mean to dominate the game domestically and quite frankly on a European level for quite some time and you can moan about how we a traditional club al you want beacsue yes we did win the Euro cup last season but can you see us doing it year in year out with consistensy.

Is this BAVLondon's truer colors now coming to the fore ?

Are you really a RENT BOY ?

Shut up you manc bitter. Talk to me when yu have a few more posts.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:29 pm

Investment in the club we need. What we don't need, and what most of us here don't want, is someone to come in handing Rafa blank cheques for an enormous squad of big name players that we probably won't even play.

Football isn't about teams or squads, it's about clubs. Where Chelsea have got it badly wrong is in thinking that the 11 players on the pitch are the most important thing about the game. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG WROOOOOOOOOONG.

The 100% no arguments don't-even-try-and-quote-this-bit-disagreeing most important thing about the game of football is the relationship that people have with the badge on the shirt. It could be a retired guy in a tattered old scarf watching a match on his own by some cut up pitch in the middle of nowhere, it could be a handful of guys with flasks dotted around the sidelines in a park on a hill, then it could be maybe a dozen, in many cases a 100 or so, couple of thousand, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or (in our case) millions of fans. It's all about what that club means to those people, everything else is pretty much just window dressing.

Put that badge on any f*cker, and the bottom line is that the person running after a bag full of air is doing it for everybody that's turned up to see them on the day, has tuned in to see them on TV or radio, has scrambled around frantically trying to get bad Asian coverage of them on the internet, or even for those in the middle of nowhere in various parts of the world that have to wait a couple of days to see the results in the back of their local paper.

Liverpool Football Club are - to me - the best football club in the world because, for all the fancy Spanish names dotted around the team sheet, all the model girlfriends and the million-pound endorsement deals, what happens to my club affects me. Players like Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Robbie Fowler put the message out to kids that people like them, with upbringings just like theirs, can grow up living out the dreams they had kicking a 99p flyaway ball against a wall in an alley.

I don't care how much money anyone has, they can't buy that.

Abramovich can have his league titles and his roster of multi-million pound players that won't get a game. He won't convince me for a second that he's interested in bankrolling a football CLUB unless he gets that kind of connection going between the fans and the players. At the moment I bet three quarters of the fans you get at a Chelsea match are a mixture of:
a) tw*ts with pockets full of shrapnel looking for a fight
b) Non-Londoners working in London that have supported at least three different teams in their lifetime, or
c) d*ckheads with absolutely no interest at football, that may or may not have asked their secretary to scout around getting them 2 tickets for "the Chelsea game on Saturday - not sure who they're playing. My son's back from boarding school this weekend and Arsenal are playing away. Oh and can you email me directions to their 'ah-reena'".

My club will not sell out to the wrong deal - they've shown it with Morgan, they showed it with the Thais, and they'll show it again and again until someone comes along that can do right by those that hang on everything to do with the club. Moores and Parry are flawed in many ways, and I've queried a lot of the decisions they've made in the past, but I trust the way they treat and respect everything we stand for, and I know that, when the time is right, we'll all applaud them for taking as long as they needed.

Chelsea won the league last season, and they'll win it again this season because they can outbid everybody else for the biggest names on offer. They have so many decent players for every position that they could probably start a club called Chelsea 2, put them in the Premiership and finish in the top 4 or 5.

Liverpool FC won the Champions League last season.
Against absolutely all odds.
With so many players out of position.
With one of the strikers who started the season with us watching with a Madrid tan from a makeshift TV studio.
With arguably our best midfielder out with a broken leg for most of the campaign.
With our record signing struggling to walk until he - pretty much miraculously - fought himself fit for the latter stages.
With fringe players having to step up several levels to score the goals for us.
With so many injuries that one player finished the final taking a penalty with a broken foot.

Step forward 25 years and look back at 2005. Who the f*ck is going to remember an endlessly-bankrolled, soulless, almost factory-like team winning a league title?

They'll be talking about our club's heroes that season and THAT night far ahead, far beyond and with smiles on their faces still confused as to quite how it happened.

Conclusion: we do not need out own Abramovic. F*ck off.  :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:08 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Investment in the club we need. What we don't need, and what most of us here don't want, is someone to come in handing Rafa blank cheques for an enormous squad of big name players that we probably won't even play.

Football isn't about teams or squads, it's about clubs. Where Chelsea have got it badly wrong is in thinking that the 11 players on the pitch are the most important thing about the game. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG WROOOOOOOOOONG.

The 100% no arguments don't-even-try-and-quote-this-bit-disagreeing most important thing about the game of football is the relationship that people have with the badge on the shirt. It could be a retired guy in a tattered old scarf watching a match on his own by some cut up pitch in the middle of nowhere, it could be a handful of guys with flasks dotted around the sidelines in a park on a hill, then it could be maybe a dozen, in many cases a 100 or so, couple of thousand, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or (in our case) millions of fans. It's all about what that club means to those people, everything else is pretty much just window dressing.

Put that badge on any f*cker, and the bottom line is that the person running after a bag full of air is doing it for everybody that's turned up to see them on the day, has tuned in to see them on TV or radio, has scrambled around frantically trying to get bad Asian coverage of them on the internet, or even for those in the middle of nowhere in various parts of the world that have to wait a couple of days to see the results in the back of their local paper.

Liverpool Football Club are - to me - the best football club in the world because, for all the fancy Spanish names dotted around the team sheet, all the model girlfriends and the million-pound endorsement deals, what happens to my club affects me. Players like Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Robbie Fowler put the message out to kids that people like them, with upbringings just like theirs, can grow up living out the dreams they had kicking a 99p flyaway ball against a wall in an alley.

I don't care how much money anyone has, they can't buy that.

Abramovich can have his league titles and his roster of multi-million pound players that won't get a game. He won't convince me for a second that he's interested in bankrolling a football CLUB unless he gets that kind of connection going between the fans and the players. At the moment I bet three quarters of the fans you get at a Chelsea match are a mixture of:
a) tw*ts with pockets full of shrapnel looking for a fight
b) Non-Londoners working in London that have supported at least three different teams in their lifetime, or
c) d*ckheads with absolutely no interest at football, that may or may not have asked their secretary to scout around getting them 2 tickets for "the Chelsea game on Saturday - not sure who they're playing. My son's back from boarding school this weekend and Arsenal are playing away. Oh and can you email me directions to their 'ah-reena'".

My club will not sell out to the wrong deal - they've shown it with Morgan, they showed it with the Thais, and they'll show it again and again until someone comes along that can do right by those that hang on everything to do with the club. Moores and Parry are flawed in many ways, and I've queried a lot of the decisions they've made in the past, but I trust the way they treat and respect everything we stand for, and I know that, when the time is right, we'll all applaud them for taking as long as they needed.

Chelsea won the league last season, and they'll win it again this season because they can outbid everybody else for the biggest names on offer. They have so many decent players for every position that they could probably start a club called Chelsea 2, put them in the Premiership and finish in the top 4 or 5.

Liverpool FC won the Champions League last season.
Against absolutely all odds.
With so many players out of position.
With one of the strikers who started the season with us watching with a Madrid tan from a makeshift TV studio.
With arguably our best midfielder out with a broken leg for most of the campaign.
With our record signing struggling to walk until he - pretty much miraculously - fought himself fit for the latter stages.
With fringe players having to step up several levels to score the goals for us.
With so many injuries that one player finished the final taking a penalty with a broken foot.

Step forward 25 years and look back at 2005. Who the f*ck is going to remember an endlessly-bankrolled, soulless, almost factory-like team winning a league title?

They'll be talking about our club's heroes that season and THAT night far ahead, far beyond and with smiles on their faces still confused as to quite how it happened.

Conclusion: we do not need out own Abramovic. F*ck off.  :D

Nail on head.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:13 pm

There is an arguement for limited investment to help with the costs of a new stadium.

A Jack Walker or Steve Gibson type would be acceptable if Moores ever wanted to sell up. By that I mean a chap who is local born and bred, loves the club and made his millions through hard graft and business ingenuity. A guy that might oil the team with a nice amount of money for new players, but a guy who would primarily build for the future and who would give number one priority to the interest and welfare of the club and fans, not his own.

After all, the Moores family have always been wealthy benefactors of this club.

Wouldn't like an Abramovich, indeed I wouldn't like any foreign person taking over Liverpool.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Whatever the investment deal in progress it better be sortd soon. Just supposing Rafa walkd out and we no longer had one of the best tacticians in the world what would we do? Well wed have to buy more players but with what? So then weve gone from Champions to Chumps. A new manager would come in but would he be better and could he work within the same constraints? We doubt it.

Im not trying to get you guys to panick but the only sure fire way is open our doors for a takeover. You can moan about tradition and all that other :censored: as much as you want but at the end of the day if yu have money spend it if you dont then your :censored:. We have a great history and if we want to keep building on that history then we need a takeover, At the end of the day you lot can bitch as much as you want about my comments but how many of you wouldnt want to compete with the likes of Chelsea, Real and Baraclona for world class players.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:56 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Small John wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:I don't care how much money anyone costs, money doesn't buy you good players. Money buys you expensive ones. Not all expensive players are great players.

That is so untrue.

When was the last time, LFC bought a player, and you thought "WOW" ...top class player, that will dramatically improve the squad? ???? ??????

How little you know or truly understand, about the pride needed to call yourself a genuine fan .
I will leave your shallow company with a very profound word  PLASTIC !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion