Warnock for england? - Could be called up for qualifiers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stoney » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:48 am

LIVERPOOL left-back Stephen Warnock is on stand-by for a shock call-up to England's World Cup squad - and a new Anfield contract. 

The defender, 23, was watched by Sven Goran Eriksson's No.2 Tord Grip in the Champions League qualifier against CSKA Sofia on Tuesday night.

And the England bosses have spoken to the Anfield club about selecting Warnock as a surprise deputy for Arsenal's Ashley Cole when the squad is named at the weekend.

Warnock is keeping John Arne Riise out of the Liverpool team at the moment and having the best spell of an unsung career that has also seen him sent out on loan spells at Bradford and Coventry.

Eriksson's spies have been pushing Warnock in the absence of Chelsea's injured Wayne Bridge.

The poverty of options for that role has put him on the verge of a dream call-up for the qualifying matches against Wales and Northern Ireland next month.

Finally svens doing somethig right giving warnock a go :buttrock
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:35 am

Well warnock is very versatile, he can play left back left wing. Also on tuesday he put some of the greatest crosses I've ever seen into the box. This is great news for him and great news for us. He may even solve englands left wing problem as he is a natural left footer and puts in great crosses. Give him a go I say sven. Must be a dream come true for him if he gets a call-up. It's also great news for the academy to produce what could be another young international. It will give players such as potter more determination to play better so he can get called up to the ireland squad. Also it's great for rafa because if it weren't for him warnock would only be playing in reserves.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:38 am

No im sorry, cant cloud my judgement on this one. Sven always picks a flavour of the month player. Ricketts, Beattie, Powell. Now Warnock, no way good enough for England. He's third choice at Anfield. Rafa is resting Riise at the mo and Traore was injured and is just training.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:42 am

Lets not get too carried away with this "warnock for England thing" he is not that good?..he still has a lot to prove its a bit early yet to start "banging the drum for him". ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:51 am

I think Warnock has a big future at the club. I like his tenacity and he is very comfortable on the ball. People on here who go the game (you don't always spot this on the box)say he still gets caught out of position too often but that will change as he gets more games under his belt. I feel a whole lot better with Warnock playing ahead of Traore who will always give me the jitters.

As for England. How many English left-backs (or right-backs for that matter) are out there? Aside from Cole and Bridge, i can't think of any.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:03 am

BOSS PUSHES WARNOCK ENGLAND CLAIMS
Mark Platt 25 August 2005 
  Rafael Benitez has hailed the early season form of Stephen Warnock and backed him to force his way into the full England squad. 
Warnock has made Liverpool left-back position his own in recent weeks and England coach Tord Grip has reportedly been monitoring his progress.

The 23-year old signed a new two-year contract extension with the Reds on Tuesday and press reports this morning are suggesting that international recognition beckons for the Liverpool Academy graduate.

Benitez says: "He's improving a lot and there are not many good left-back's for Sven to choose from right now so yes, why not? It's certainly a possibility. He's getting better with each game and now has a lot more experience."

Benitez is delighted that Warnock has committed his immediate future to the Reds and added: "Rick Parry and I have been talking about Stephen Warnock for a while now. He has been working hard and playing well so we decided to reward him with another two years on his contract. He fully merits this and we are happy.

"It's a possibility that he could become our first choice left-back. I like to have two players battling for every position because this means both will continue to work hard and for the team this can only be a good thing." 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

Rafa is supporting the england claim.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:16 am

Well in Warnock lad! :nod  All the best!
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rash » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:05 pm

i feel sorry for England if this is true
rash

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:11 pm

rash wrote:i feel sorry for England if this is true

at least give an explanation of why?
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:17 pm

The lad deserves his chance as he has been marvellous in the left back/left wing position for us
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rash » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:19 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
rash wrote:i feel sorry for England if this is true

at least give an explanation of why?

england can do better than that...

what ever happened to glenn johnson?
rash

Postby 2520years » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:59 pm

Warnock is possibly better at left-back than Glen Johnson, but I don't think either are ready yet for England.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:49 pm

Cant understand why everyone is getting all excited?..just cos' sven mentions warnocks name? he is nowhere good enough to warrant a call up yet? come get real here!! he is still in the process of establishing a regular place in rafa's team. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:51 pm

if you look at it this way though, after ashley cole and then wayne bridge who is having injury problems, hes the next best thing.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:59 pm

I predicted this a while ago.  I doubt if Warnock can ever displace Cole at LB for England as he is a top, top player.  But Bridge will struggle to get a game this year (Del Horno looks a class-act) and if Warnock is playing well week-in week-out for us then he's good for a place in the squad next summer ahead of Bridge.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion