Trust the manager - Criticism is boring me

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:39 pm

The pessimism on this board over the past few days has been quite staggering. Anyone would have thought we had just been knocked out of the CL in the qualifiers and were in the bottom three. OK, the team haven't been playing well but I think it's bang out of order what some people have been saying about our manager.

Ok, you may not agree with some of his decisions, but I for one applaud him for his singleminded approach to making Liverpool great again.

1. He signs Peter Crouch against the wishes of many fans, virtually putting himself on a hiding to nothing in the process. If he's a failure its gonna put him under pressure and if he's a a success no big deal will be made of it as we paid 7m for him.

2. Now I'm a big fan of Cisse and think Rafa's wrong on this one but he thinks the team would be better off without Cisse and that's his opinion. He obviously considers the money could be better spent elsewhere for the benefit of the team so we should get behind him. Football is a cruel game and you sometimes have to be cruel to be kind.

3. He got rid of all the players not good enough for club in a hard as Iron way such as Vlad and Igor because he thought that would improve the team. Baros never fulfilled his potential and was also shipped out. I still maintain that this was the correct decision, due to Milan's constant bleating to the press about wanting to move blah blah blah.

So whatever you think of his decisions he is not afraid to take the difficult one if he feels its in the best interests of his team as a whole.

The only word of caution i would add is that as Houllier found out if things dont work out then these decisions can be used against you in the future.

Rafa dosent care and he is gonna do it his way and after winning the CL he has my full support even if i have questioned some of his decison making relating to Moro, Cisse and Owen.

Rafa has to be ruthless. Do you think Fergie would give a monkeys about fans relationships with players? I think what people are failing to understand is that the players, whether good or not so good, are not the most important thing in his system but the system itself. I don't think it's any secret that Rafa and Cisse don't get on off the pitch which consequently puts a severe strain on their relationship. Once the relationship between a player and a manager breaks down, there is unfortunately no way back.

The thing is, his Valencia side defied the odds. Nobody in Spain thought that they stood a chance of winning the Spanish league looking at their team compared to Real Madrid and Barcelona. But they did it twice. And the same could be said of Liverpool's success in the Champions League last season (here with a litle extra help of lady luck, but it wasn't only luck).

Get behind the manager ffs. The fact that people are questioning him after we've just won our third European Super Cup, have qualified for next years CL and have 4 points out of 6 and two clean sheets in the League is nothing short of ridiculous.

YNWA.
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dosserboy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:05 pm

stmichael wrote:The pessimism on this board over the past few days has been quite staggering. Anyone would have thought we had just been knocked out of the CL in the qualifiers and were in the bottom three. OK, the team haven't been playing well but I think it's bang out of order what some people have been saying about our manager.

Ok, you may not agree with some of his decisions, but I for one applaud him for his singleminded approach to making Liverpool great again.

1. He signs Peter Crouch against the wishes of many fans, virtually putting himself on a hiding to nothing in the process. If he's a failure its gonna put him under pressure and if he's a a success no big deal will be made of it as we paid 7m for him.

2. Now I'm a big fan of Cisse and think Rafa's wrong on this one but he thinks the team would be better off without Cisse and that's his opinion. He obviously considers the money could be better spent elsewhere for the benefit of the team so we should get behind him. Football is a cruel game and you sometimes have to be cruel to be kind.

3. He got rid of all the players not good enough for club in a hard as Iron way such as Vlad and Igor because he thought that would improve the team. Baros never fulfilled his potential and was also shipped out. I still maintain that this was the correct decision, due to Milan's constant bleating to the press about wanting to move blah blah blah.

So whatever you think of his decisions he is not afraid to take the difficult one if he feels its in the best interests of his team as a whole.

The only word of caution i would add is that as Houllier found out if things dont work out then these decisions can be used against you in the future.

Rafa dosent care and he is gonna do it his way and after winning the CL he has my full support even if i have questioned some of his decison making relating to Moro, Cisse and Owen.

Rafa has to be ruthless. Do you think Fergie would give a monkeys about fans relationships with players? I think what people are failing to understand is that the players, whether good or not so good, are not the most important thing in his system but the system itself. I don't think it's any secret that Rafa and Cisse don't get on off the pitch which consequently puts a severe strain on their relationship. Once the relationship between a player and a manager breaks down, there is unfortunately no way back.

The thing is, his Valencia side defied the odds. Nobody in Spain thought that they stood a chance of winning the Spanish league looking at their team compared to Real Madrid and Barcelona. But they did it twice. And the same could be said of Liverpool's success in the Champions League last season (here with a litle extra help of lady luck, but it wasn't only luck).

Get behind the manager ffs. The fact that people are questioning him after we've just won our third European Super Cup, have qualified for next years CL and have 4 points out of 6 and two clean sheets in the League is nothing short of ridiculous.

YNWA.

100% AGREE.

One thing that nobody knows is how much money Rafa has at his disposal and it would be my guess he hasn't very much. It has to be very difficult for him having to wheel and deal with every signing and has my backing 100%.
dosserboy

Postby Alonso14 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Good Post, But dont you think he should put his system around the strenghs to the team and players, instead of using a system that doesnt suit the players atributes? Just a thought.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:26 pm

stmichael wrote:The pessimism on this board over the past few days has been quite staggering. Anyone would have thought we had just been knocked out of the CL in the qualifiers and were in the bottom three. OK, the team haven't been playing well but I think it's bang out of order what some people have been saying about our manager.

YNWA.

GREAT POST, and agree with most of what you say.

I must add, the negative stance of many posters here is putting me off this forum completely.  :angry:
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:39 pm

Liverpool 4 EVA these negative posters as you quote, do you know why they are posting these thoughts...? because they want reassurance from others, and stmichael's post was good for all those with a negative stance, and its what they want to hear. well done.
oOShrimpyOo

Postby drummerphil » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:44 pm

In the last 13  weeks we have won the champions league,successfully gone through 3 qualifying rounds of this years champions league,when most teams are in pre season training,won and drew our opening two league games and last night beat a moscow team in full flow,half way through their season to win the european super cup.........now all things apart regardless of how we have played,who is coming,who isnt and injurys on top.........EVERY TEAM IN EUROPE WOULD LOVE THAT RECORD
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:47 pm

oOShrimpyOo wrote:Liverpool 4 EVA these negative posters as you quote, do you know why they are posting these thoughts...? because they want reassurance from others, and stmichael's post was good for all those with a negative stance, and its what they want to hear. well done.

====================================

spot on shrimp  :;):

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Jari's mullet » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:54 pm

Great post, I agree.  There are things that I disagree with Rafa about, but we must have faith.
Jari's mullet

Postby mighty mo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:08 pm

YNWA.

excellent post and i thoroughly i agree with every word
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:17 pm

i just for the life of me cant understand how when we win the biggest competition in world club football, we have to wheel and deal. In the past we have always spent quite heavily and now when we just need that little bit more they are relying on rafa's magic to save them a fortune. Its a risky game we are playing, i hope we crack the top three and move on upwards but i cant help feeling that we are only cementing fourth place for ourselves every year.

A little bit of cash injection would propel this club into the stratoshere. I hear that after our CL win, we inherited 10million more fans worldwide, i know we run the club like a family, but if we were ruthless in our marketing like Madrid and  man poo then we could certainly hit record global sales. We are the most successful club in britain ffs:D :D
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:37 pm

.. I too like you Saint, have been astonished at the levels of negativity towards the Boss. I'm all for constructive criticism, no-one is immune from that, but some of  the stuff posted on some these threads has been scandalous.

People need to think that if the Board and others start telling the Boss who to buy, including in relation to Owen ( though I believe he is being quite for negotiation sakes and not cos he don't want him), the Boss may well decide to pick-up sticks and go, there would be plenty of takers for his services.

If he sells Cisse, then like it or not, we have to trust him. He has established an excellent scouting system, and his dip in to the transfer market is not over, and all on a tight budget.

Cisse like Baros before him, is a frustrating character, brilliant on occassion ineffective on others. I for one was not happy with his reactions yesterday, rather arrogant for me and if those gestures were for the Boss, then I'm afraid he may well have sealed his own fate. Players have to work hard and try and impress the boss. In other instances some players like Mmorientes will get a run to proove themselves..

..whatever in this man we must trust and the players should respect.. including Cisse.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:44 pm

zarababe wrote:.. I too like you Saint, have been astonished at the levels of negativity towards the Boss. I'm all for constructive criticism, no-one is immune from that, but some of  the stuff posted on some these threads has been scandalous.

People need to think that if the Board and others start telling the Boss who to buy, including in relation to Owen ( though I believe he is being quite for negotiation sakes and not cos he don't want him), the Boss may well decide to pick-up sticks and go, there would be plenty of takers for his services.

If he sells Cisse, then like it or not, we have to trust him. He has established an excellent scouting system, and his dip in to the transfer market is not over, and all on a tight budget.

Cisse like Baros before him, is a frustrating character, brilliant on occassion ineffective on others. I for one was not happy with his reactions yesterday, rather arrogant for me and if those gestures were for the Boss, then I'm afraid he may well have sealed his own fate. Players have to work hard and try and impress the boss. In other instances some players like Mmorientes will get a run to proove themselves..

..whatever in this man we must trust and the players should respect.. including Cisse.

How long do you think the faith in Rafa will last in this crazy world of football  :glare:
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopboyau » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:16 pm

A lot of people are being a bit negative because 95% of games we have played since starting with TNS, we have dominated. Missed opportunities, shots off target compared to shots on target. We can't afford to do that against teams like Arsenal and Chelsea. We must take the opportunites presented. Yes we trust Rafa but I think some of the players need to take a good hard look at themselves
Kopboyau
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:21 pm

Alonso14 wrote:Good Post, But dont you think he should put his system around the strenghs to the team and players, instead of using a system that doesnt suit the players atributes? Just a thought.

I agree with you that if you are stuck with players, you have to roll with the punches and play to your strengths on the squad.

Last year Rafa did well in Europe despite having a squad that he didn't want.

I think that because the transfer window is still open he wants to get players that fit into his strategy because his system is what he believes in, and he wants it to be applied fully. 

I think that people are being too emotional about certain players. If Rafa believes that they don't work, I trust him and if  he wants to give others more chances, I don't care as long as he keeps winning the silverware.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby policy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:23 pm

As an aside, I think Owen would be great but I don't want to get raped by Real Madrid. Let's trust Rafa with this one as well.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion