Transfer Expenditure - IS THIS THE PROBLEM?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:39 am

Well after last nights dire performance against Chelsea yes I can see that everything is just hunky dory !! I really can’t be bothered dissecting you’re utter everything is wonderful drivel. Suffice it to say I could list the same players that you have with very different estimates of longevity.

I’ve talked about austerity and the effect it has had on this country and with your absolute loathing of the Conservative party I’m sure you can understand where I’m coming from. It has taken 10 years of abject austerity  failure for the realisation that if you fail to invest in the future you are in trouble. The government is now going to borrow billions of pounds to do just that. FSG can still run a sustainable business by borrowing to plan for the future. Debt is about sustainability and the ability to repay the loan. How would the vast majority of people ever buy a house without taking out a mortgage and being able to provide evidence that they are capable of managing the debt.Failing to satisfactorily invest is crucifying us. Making a substantial profit in the transfer market straight after winning the CL is a very frustrating example of how the club is being run.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Mane and Bobby may have 5 to 6 years left in them as pro footballers but unless they reinvent themselves like Shearer did they don’t look like they’ve got 5 to 6 games left in them as top level operators never mind 5 to 6 years.
Mane’s blistering pace has gone and he’s struggling to adapt, every game now he’s throwing himself to the floor trying to buy fouls that just aren’t there and then throwing hissy fits when the officials ignore him, it’s all frustration because he can’t do the things he used to do, he puts his foot down on the accelerator these days and nothing happens.
Our defence may have been ravaged by injury but our front line hasn’t, 2 goals in our last 8 home games says it all.
They need to adapt and stop relying on their athleticism and start relying on their experience and ‘street-smarts’.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:55 pm

1. Defenders playing in defence positions! Fed up of seeing 2x defenders sat on the bench while a midfielder drops into CB position.

2. Front 3 - What on earth is going on? Mane has concrete boots on, Firmino is done for and Salah gets dragged off against Chelsea when we need a goal??

3. Klopp - too stubborn to change it up during a game and is desperate to prove that playing Henderson or Fabinho in defence while 2 defenders sit on the bench is a stroke of a genius. It's not Jurgen, it's costing us games. Stop fecking around with players and lets put them in the place on the pitch they play. So what if they need experience, they're not getting it sat warming a bench while the first team loses again at home and sinks down the Arsenal levels.

I wonder if Klopp's got one eye on the German national team job and has been distracted. wonder if his head has been turned with the chance to be a national hero for his beloved Germany? Football is a results game and if the powers above start getting twitchy he may well become available. Not that there's anyone to replace him available.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:34 pm

Evening Standard  Sat, 6 March 2021, 11:01 am

Pep Guardiola has an embarrassment of riches for tomorrow's Manchester derby, with a fully-fit Man City squad to choose from as they continue their romp towards the title.

The return of defender Nathan Ake after a muscular problem this week means the Premier League leaders now have no players in the treatment room.
++

So what have we been doing wrong?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 pm

There must be something wrong with our training regiment.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:32 pm

I don't think you can pinpoint it to any one thing. Are the players getting the best advice from our supposedly state-of-the-art sports-science team? Are the players disciplining themselves in that regard and also utilising an adequate rest/recovery regimen? Or are the training methods too severe considering some players play nearly every game? Of course it could be down to bad luck....but i dunno, it's some luck to get hit to the extent we have.
Last edited by Franky000 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franky000

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:01 am

Last year we got lucky in terms of injuries (and decisions to a certain extent) and this year we have been unlucky on both, it’s just the law of averages doing it’s thing. A full and fit squad and we are top if not second so no need for over reactions. Must ride out the storm as I’m sure better days are ahead.

Players certainly look jaded but they are in an awful run so I’m not surprised, get some wins under their belt and the swagger will be back. It does not feel good to be a supporter right now but I won’t suddenly start slating our world class players or make assumptions that I know more than our world class manager. I do think the squad needs tweaking but no more than that. We should have replaced Lovren and we are paying the price but even then, losing your three defenders for the season is not something any team could plan for. City just lost one defender last year and the wheels came off and all talk was about Guardiola reaching the end.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:49 am

I remember when Sturridge was going to be out long term and instead of going out and buying a out an out Striker we transformed Bobby (who was a midfielder at the time) into our new striker.. We even changed his squad number to no9 to further get this message across. Now Bobby has been brilliant in that Role and his pressing and link up play has been exceptional..

The decision to make him our new no9 was 4 years ago!! So in 4 years we've decided not only were we not going to replace Sturridge with a striker, we've also decided not to even bring one in as back up if Bobby loses form or get injured.

I know Klopp likes to have players that can play all different kinds of roles to deal with injuries etc etc.. But Jota/Mane/Salah are wingers! None of them can play the role as a traditional no9.

We have Trent and Robbo whipping balls in game after game begging for a striker to get on the end of it.. But no ones ever in the right place. If we'd have had Harry Kane this year we'd probably still be in the title race as he'd be the answer to the teams that defend deep.

I can't believe after 4 years we still don't have a striker (I'm not counting Origi) let's go out and break the bank to get Haaland in because he is exactly the player we need right now.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 pm

Why we don't have a no 9 is simple. THEY COST MONEY. It will not happen that we'll spend any money until we sell someone....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Penguins » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm wrote:Why we don't have a no 9 is simple. THEY COST MONEY. It will not happen that we'll spend any money until we sell someone....

We also don’t currently play with a “traditional number 9”
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion