Tiredness - I'm sick of this cr@p excuse

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:39 am

morning fellow posters. a tale of two halves on saturday. first half we controlled the game with good possession football. spurs weren't in the game. i thought cisse took his goal extremely well. gerrard also should have had a blatant penalty when the spurs right back tried to swap shirts before the final whistle.

however the second half was the same old problem for us. a game we were dominating was allowed to slip from our grasp. and as for benitez's substitutions, i was baffled. cisse didn't look too pleased and who would blame him after he had scored. baros was also taken off for warnock of all people.

now benitez came out and claimed he thought baros and cisse looked tired. TIRED? it's the first game of the season for god's sake. i know it was hot but how can they be tired? i really hate this excuse from players and managers these days. the size of squads these days means that players are playing less football than they ever did. :(
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:42 am

Didn't hear Benites say that, but would agree with you if he has.

The comments I thought RB gave, seem to indicated that he wasn't happy with the way we rolled over and relinquished 2 points - deja vu?
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:44 am

i know it's only one game and i'm not for one minute suggesting that benitez is going to be as negative as houllier. he had few attacking options on the bench anyway. but to claim cisse especially was "tired" after an hour is a joke. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:48 am

To be fair to RB, Spurs didn't really look like they were going to score up until they actually did, so perhaps he thought game was already won.

Hopefully (internationals permitting), we will see the true type of fooball RB intends against City on Saturday.
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:56 am

I thought from the first half performance that the Liverpool of old was back. The crisp passing the constant forward motion the ball control ( apart from Baros, whose firts touch was woefull ) was excellent. Then the second half comes and all we do is hoof it up field. What happened? the tiredness claim was a bit ****** but what other reason was there for them to hoof it up field instead of running with it.

As a side issue as well, why o' why o' why did RB take our two forwards off? ?????
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:59 am

ckay wrote:As a side issue as well, why o' why o' why did RB take our two forwards off? ?????

that's my point ckay.

i could understand baros as he looked lethargic and couldn't really get into the game. but cisse has had a rest during the summer as he didn't go to euro 2004. he had also scored so his confidence must have been high and he got dragged off after 60 minutes. no wonder he looked so aggrieved. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:01 am

I hope it gets better for Man city at the weekend. Plus there's also and international on wednesday.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:25 am

He referred 'tired' to the CL match we played. But he didn't want it to sound like an excuse. Well, Spurs did have a longer break than we did prior to the match.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:28 am

but spurs played a huge ammount of pre season game, I think it ws about 10-12 games.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:58 am

ckay wrote:but spurs played a huge ammount of pre season game, I think it ws about 10-12 games.

Sounds lame I know, but does it related to "match fitness"?

Just realised I'm not a Newbie anymore. Yippee!!1

:D  :D  :D
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:02 pm

I must say the tired excuse was patethic
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:12 pm

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:I must say the tired excuse was patethic

Yeah very Houllier!
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:16 pm

Listen guys, whilst I did share the same over optimism as you all for the new season, and I too was looking for a 10-0 away win at Spurs, in the cold light of day the result was not too bad, we never lost for a start and we looked dangerous at times.

I think this is an over reaction on what was essentially not too bad a result.

Drawing away to Spurs is not exactley a home defeat against a nely promoted team, so lets not be too negative hey ??
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:16 pm

hey hey hey, boys! :)
it's only the 1st out of about 36 games.
Perhaps "tired" is improper, but equalizing Rafa to GH, is far too much!
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:21 pm

leon, i agree that the result was not the end of the world, however once again we showed an ianability to finish a side off after going infront and being completely in control of the game. arsenal would have stuck about 6 past spurs yesterday.

can you as a fan explain how rafa can claim cisse was tired after an hour when the guy has played 1 competitive game for us after having a rest during the summer?

it baffles me. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion