Tiredness - I'm sick of this cr@p excuse

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:23 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Listen guys, whilst I did share the same over optimism as you all for the new season, and I too was looking for a 10-0 away win at Spurs, in the cold light of day the result was not too bad, we never lost for a start and we looked dangerous at times.

I think this is an over reaction on what was essentially not too bad a result.

Drawing away to Spurs is not exactley a home defeat against a nely promoted team, so lets not be too negative hey ??

Just thought we threw it away. The game was ours. The passing was great and spurs weren't even in it. Then the second half comes, we defend deep, hoof it up filed every chance we get and then take our goal scoring threat off and bring Pongolle and biscan on.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:25 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:hey hey hey, boys! :)
it's only the 1st out of about 36 games.
Perhaps "tired" is improper, but equalizing Rafa to GH, is far too much!

Yeah, was a bit harsh. Apolgies to RB.
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:26 pm

I'm sure Cisse wasn't tired. But Baros did look tired. I think the only explanation Rafa left Baros out longer was he wanted him a chance to score but when Spurs scored, he needed some fresh leg. Rafa must thought he made a mistake for taking out Cisse but he is not going to admit it. Anyway, I think it wouldn't make any different even if Cisse and Baros remained in the match because the whole team were labouring already after 60 minutes or so.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby RobG14 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:47 pm

Of course the players were tired its the first game of the season. Benitez was right to make the changes that he did, players like ciise and baros will not be 100% match fit yet which is why benitez brought them off. No team can come out and play all guns blazing on the first game of the season- it's just not physically possible (unless you are arsenal).
RobG14

Postby Homebooby » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:19 pm

i don't know about you lot, but I was knackered just watching it from the sofa.......I couldn't even get up to go to the fridge and get another beer.

Maybe that was it......they all had beers at half time as it was a beautiful day and they all started suffering from that mid-afternoon lethargy that comes with a beer in the afternoon.

Next time, we need to throw more beer in those Lucozade bottles and see how a ****** up match compares.....that'd be gud wouldn't it ;-)
Homebooby

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:37 pm

I think Rafa Fcked up with his substitutions. The comment about "looking tired " was lame . Early days but Rafa needs to get to grips with his squad and quickly appreciate what they're capable of . Any of us could have told him that this lot are incapable of defending a 1 goal lead for an hour . :(
Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:40 pm

The should really be better at it by now though. We've had 2 seasons pratice of trying to defend a one goal for over an hour. We still haven't quiet managed yet though.  :D
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:41 pm

jymbojetset wrote:Didn't hear Benites say that, but would agree with you if he has.

The comments I thought RB gave, seem to indicated that he wasn't happy with the way we rolled over and relinquished 2 points - deja vu?

'Letter' from manager e-season ticket memebers receive after every match

quote form LFC.tv e-season ticket:

Dear Liverpool supporter,

Saturday's match at Tottenham was my first experience of life in the Premiership and, although I'd have obviously preferred us to hold on for the win, I must say it was a satisfactory afternoon overall.

The first half was good. We had lots of opportunities and I was very happy.

The second half was more difficult for us because they played more forward balls and we got tired. When teams play long balls it means you have to go backwards to recover possession and we got a bit tired doing that.

That's why I took our two strikers off during the second half. I wanted us to press their defenders more and I thought Cisse and Baros were getting tired. They will maybe disagree, but my opinion was they were tired.

I thought Cisse did very well on his Premiership debut. He's a good player with a lot of potential. Hopefully we'll see a lot of good things from him over the coming weeks and I hope he can score lots of goals.

Regards,

Rafael Benitez
Liverpool Manager
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:14 pm

maximus wrote:That's why I took our two strikers off during the second half. I wanted us to press their defenders more and I thought Cisse and Baros were getting tired. They will maybe disagree, but my opinion was they were tired.

Don't get it!

Took our two strikers off, because I wanted to press their defenders more! Am I missing something here?
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:19 pm

you and me too mate!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:33 pm

maximus wrote:The second half was more difficult for us because they played more forward balls and we got tired. When teams play long balls it means you have to go backwards to recover possession and we got a bit tired doing that.

Erm, just a suggestion Rafa me old mate, maybe the team should try keeping possesion when they get "a bit tired " .
Fk me ! tired !!!!!  in the middle of the first game !!!!!!!  has any one told them there's 37 more to go , and thats only the league games . 

I can understand players needing a few more games to get the "sharpness" back but after a fairly competitive pre season tour plus a CL qualifier I would have hoped that the players were at least fit enough to play for 90 minutes .

I don't like this at all
:angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:35 pm

can you imagine players complaining back in shankly's day that they were tired? they would have got their ar#es kicked. :Oo:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:37 pm

Yeah St Mick, but I don't think the players felt tired or wanted to come off . Cisse for instance did not look at all happy at being subbed.
No, it was Rafa's decision and it cost us 2 points . :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:39 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Yeah St Mick, but I don't think the players felt tired or wanted to come off . Cisse for instance did not look at all happy at being subbed.
No, it was Rafa's decision and it cost us 2 points . :(

i know the players weren't complaining on saturday. i'm just talking about modern day players in general being overpampered. they play less games than ever now. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:40 pm

My take on "the excuse". You will get tired at the start of the season as you aren't match fit and not ready for 90 minutes, thats what happened to us in my opinion. Spurs looked like they had more energy at the end of the game, ****** happens, we'll get over it.

Imo, Cisse should have stayed on, Warnock for Baros wasn't a bad a change though. Baros did look unfit, Cisse didn't.

Tiredness can affect players in the season aswell, however a few days rest and maybe missing a couple of matches should cure them of this.

It does happen but sometimes i think its a poor excuse. On this occassion, its the first 90 minute competative match against a half decent side, its going to take its toll. Probably by the third game i'd expect the players to be fully fit.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion