Excuse me, but why do we need aimar

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:57 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
john craig wrote:And again, do we really need him when we've got garcia??  I think garcia is just as good

I agree with most that you have said but IMHO, Garcia is nowhere near as good as Aimar.
Also i think bringing in Aimar (though unlikely!) would benefit the SQUAD greatly with another CLASS player.
But i personally feel that as we get more and more players coming over the next few seasons, i can see Garcia being phased out and being more of a regular sub than a regular starter.
I really think that Rafa bought him almost (i repeat...ALMOST!!) as a stop gap, firstly as Rafa came in so late last season and didnt have much time to get the players he really wanted (apart from Xabi and Josemi(who isnt that good really, a squad player at best!) but secondly that he KNEW he would be able to get him as Barcelona had such a strong squad at the beginning of last season, and his chances of playing were slim to none.

I hear what you're saying mate, but to me, Garcia has a lot more end product than Aimar does.  Here are Aimar's stats from last season:

Games : 31
Goals : 4

And compare them to Garcia's...

Games: 44 
Goals: 13 

Ok so this doesn't take into account assists or other aspects of all-round play, but if Aimar was to be the 2nd striker, he'd need to chip in more than 4 goals a season.  In fact, in Aimar's whole career he has never scored as many in a season as Garcia did last season.  Take into account that garcia started a lot of games out wide as well.  And also look at the significance of his goals.  He scored a lot of important goals in big games such as v juve and chelsea.

Also take into account that this was garcia's first season in english football and he got better as the year went on.  So how good will he be next season?

You say we need squad depth and i agree.  But rafa is likely to keep kewell another year who can deputise as 2nd striker (even if i have lost faith in kewell myself).  And who is to say we won't start a lot of games with 2 up front, especially in the league.  We won't even need 1 2nd striker for that let alone 2.

There are other positions we need strengthening before we fritter away our cash on aimar.  We need a keeper, at least one good winger, a quick centre back and another striker as a minimum.  Maybe more depending on who goes
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:04 pm

Sicmer already left for France .... next will be HK.... So we need other midfield player and maybe Aimar is that player we need .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby andy_g » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:17 pm

the midfield we have (including the vague term 2nd striker) is actually the strongest part of the squad. gerrard, alonso, hamman - all 'traditional' central midfielders, plus garcia, le tallec, kewell, nando - all able to play 2nd striker or drop into an advanced midfield role if necessary. we're only ever going to play 3 of them at one time at the very most. what we need in the squad is quality wide men. the only two wide men we have are nunez, who i want to do well but don't really think will and kewell, with whom even i am losing patience and hope.

i'm not against bringing in some decent MF cover, but i don't believe we need to spend big bucks in this area.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:01 pm

i'll tell u y we need aimar u little sh*ts....

becoz he's one of the world's best players n pisses all over sanz luis garcia neday, neweek, nematch ch'mone.

we buy aimar and garcia can be the squad player he was always destined to be.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:12 pm

PabloAimar wrote:i'll tell u y we need aimar u little sh*ts....

becoz he's one of the world's best players n pisses all over sanz luis garcia neday, neweek, nematch ch'mone.

we buy aimar and garcia can be the squad player he was always destined to be.

Well done mate

A well reasoned post backed up by solid opinions and proven facts :D

Try again
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:13 pm

If aimar didn't come to us, we still have to grab some firepower as garcia not as good as aimar at my point. Baros is looking to exit and kewell still find his way back to the good previous form so we're juz need another decent player to strengthen our squad. Why not we go for JON STEAD consider that he just too good for us because rumours stated that Charlton is checking on him. ???
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:16 pm

desperado0831 wrote:Why not we go for JON STEAD consider that he just too good for us because rumours stated that Charlton is checking on him. ???

:D
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:24 pm

how abt this.... watch him play.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:34 pm

PabloAimar wrote:how abt this.... watch him play.

Got me there Pablo, thats my argument well and truly shot out of the water.  That does indeed prove beyond all doubt that we should buy him
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:54 pm

I think we do indeed need Aimar.

A superb footballer and he is better than Luis García, there is no doubt about that. More accomplished and a far better decision maker. Having said that, Luis garcía has shown on many occasions this season to be as they say in Spain, a "crack", in other words, the player that makes the difference in a match.

You could actually fit both players in the team because Pablo Aimar tends to be a playmaker, playing in the middle of the midfield, as a centre midfielder and attacking midfielder. Luis García could stick to the right, coming in to attack as he has done successfully before.

Aimar is a tremendous player and would make a HUGE difference to Liverpools attacking options.

His passing, skill, scoring ability, quick thinking and intelligence are 1st class, and much needed in Liverpool.

This current Liverpool team is in general, technically inept.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:56 pm

so you're argument is that we drop the technically inept alonso or gerrard to fit in aimar?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:03 pm

andy_g wrote:so you're argument is that we drop the technically inept alonso or gerrard to fit in aimar?

lol the mighty words of andy conquers all newbies
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:04 pm

Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:You could actually fit both players in the team because Pablo Aimar tends to be a playmaker, playing in the middle of the midfield, as a centre midfielder and attacking midfielder. Luis García could stick to the right, coming in to attack as he has done successfully before.

Aimar is a tremendous player and would make a HUGE difference to Liverpools attacking options.

His passing, skill, scoring ability, quick thinking and intelligence are 1st class, and much needed in Liverpool.

This current Liverpool team is in general, technically inept.

You mention we need aimar's scoring ability???  so we need 4 goals a season from a 2nd striker??  His scoring record is poor mate, see my previous post in the thread on this

And to say we are technically inept with alonso, gerrard and garcia in midfield shows a lack of knowledge.  We lack width in our attack and aimar won't provide this, so he is not a priority signing.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:28 pm

john craig wrote:
LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
john craig wrote:And again, do we really need him when we've got garcia??  I think garcia is just as good

I agree with most that you have said but IMHO, Garcia is nowhere near as good as Aimar.
Also i think bringing in Aimar (though unlikely!) would benefit the SQUAD greatly with another CLASS player.
But i personally feel that as we get more and more players coming over the next few seasons, i can see Garcia being phased out and being more of a regular sub than a regular starter.
I really think that Rafa bought him almost (i repeat...ALMOST!!) as a stop gap, firstly as Rafa came in so late last season and didnt have much time to get the players he really wanted (apart from Xabi and Josemi(who isnt that good really, a squad player at best!) but secondly that he KNEW he would be able to get him as Barcelona had such a strong squad at the beginning of last season, and his chances of playing were slim to none.

I hear what you're saying mate, but to me, Garcia has a lot more end product than Aimar does.  Here are Aimar's stats from last season:

Games : 31
Goals : 4

And compare them to Garcia's...

Games: 44 
Goals: 13 

Ok so this doesn't take into account assists or other aspects of all-round play, but if Aimar was to be the 2nd striker, he'd need to chip in more than 4 goals a season.  In fact, in Aimar's whole career he has never scored as many in a season as Garcia did last season.  Take into account that garcia started a lot of games out wide as well.  And also look at the significance of his goals.  He scored a lot of important goals in big games such as v juve and chelsea.

Also take into account that this was garcia's first season in english football and he got better as the year went on.  So how good will he be next season?

You say we need squad depth and i agree.  But rafa is likely to keep kewell another year who can deputise as 2nd striker (even if i have lost faith in kewell myself).  And who is to say we won't start a lot of games with 2 up front, especially in the league.  We won't even need 1 2nd striker for that let alone 2.

There are other positions we need strengthening before we fritter away our cash on aimar.  We need a keeper, at least one good winger, a quick centre back and another striker as a minimum.  Maybe more depending on who goes

Hmmm only qouting part of what i said eh???  oh yea u did say u agree with the squad needing more depth  :p
I gota go out with the other half for some dinner and 'quality time' (whatever!!!) and i will be back later to counter some of what u say!!!  At the same time though i agree AGAIN with a lot u say....its nice when people at least put some effort into their arguments (PABLOAIMAR for example!)

back later to continue!!!
76-1115222408

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:10 pm

andy_g wrote:so you're argument is that we drop the technically inept alonso or gerrard to fit in aimar?

ehm, I said in "GENERAL" the CURRENT team is generally technically inept, that is a fact.

Compare us technically to other top teams in Europe and at this moment in time we could only dream of moving the ball around like them.

I know we are the European Champions, but of course we can improve VASTLY.

So what do you want to tell me? that we are a technically gifted team? lots of skill we have huh? yeah RIGHT! What a joke.

Don't be ridiculous.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion