This opportunity or 4th place in the bag? - What would you take?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:12 pm

How can we be so inconsistent in the league and yet go to the CL semis , beating top sides along the way ?

The answer is our best 11 play in the CL and obviously it wasn't our best 11 against palace. To me, there should be no priorities at this stage but that's obviously not the case.

Rafa has blown our ( slender ) chance of making 4th spot yesterday by picking a weakened side , to conserve energy for the semi .

The only realistic chance of making next years CL is to win the bloody thing , and at this moment in time , given our inconsistency , it could be possible , or we might get murdered at the bridge . Who knows what will happen .
Yesterdays performance , especially given the Everton result earlier was not the standard we require and that is why Benitez has a huge task this summer in getting rid of the players in the squad who are not up to it .

At the beginning of the season , there was a thread asking if we thought we could win the league , a lot of people on here were optimistic, but at the time I said we needed to get rid of a lot of players , and I was shot down and told to support other teams etc . The facts are there for all to see we simply aren't good enough to win the league with this squad . Forget all the BS about Rafa best manager in Spain etc , until he sorts his squad out , no title .
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:06 pm

stmichael wrote:The facts are there for all to see we simply aren't good enough to win the league with this squad .

Apparently we're not even good enought to finish 4th . :(

I would settle for 4th over a CL semi right now for two basic reasons .
1, Despite what short term glory may be reflected upon us we are not going to win the CL this year (fact) Christ ! we get turned over by Crystal fking Palace and although I admire your loyalty those of you who belive we are gonna go on and beat Chelsea AND AC Milan are living in cloud cuckoo land.

2,We will not have CL footy until at the earliest the season after next (fact) .

As a footnote If we truly want to be considered one of the elite again we have to be in the CL year after year not just the odd season here and there .

I'm gutted at the number of times this team has THROWN away the opportunities to secure CL footy ,maybe the simple truth really is that they aren't f'king good enough .  :angry:    :down:
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:23 pm

stmichael wrote:To me, there should be no priorities at this stage but that's obviously not the case.

Rafa has blown our ( slender ) chance of making 4th spot yesterday by picking a weakened side , to conserve energy for the semi .

I guess Rafa didn't want to spread his butter over too much bread. Faced with the choice of going all-out for both the European Cup and 4th place with the risk of missing out on both, he has decided his priorities lie in Europe.

I'm gutted we won't be getting that 4th spot and like yckatbjywtbiastkamb i am pis.sed that it may be an excuse for the Captain to jump ship in the summer. But i am also a little relieved that we will now be able to give our all to this semi-final. Chelsea have the title wrapped up and you can be sure the likes of Terry, Lampard and co will be getting a nice rest in between the hoe and away legs of this tie. The same will now apply to our lads.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:30 pm

Fourth place to me is not success, winning a big trophy is. It seems that the club has lowered it standard by settling for fourth place every year, and I'm tired of that. Why settle for fourth when we can go higher?

I'd like to see UEFA allow only three Premiership clubs to go to CL that way our players and club will raise their game and go for that third or second place instead of fourth, it's just annoying to see us have the same objective every year: finish fourth.
Last edited by A.B. on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:34 pm

woof woof ! wrote:we are not going to win the CL this year (fact) Christ ! we get turned over by Crystal fking Palace and although I admire your loyalty those of you who belive we are gonna go on and beat Chelsea AND AC Milan are living in cloud cuckoo land.

2,We will not have CL footy until at the earliest the season after next (fact) .

Come on Woof - I know it's still a bit of a long shot but you've been watching football long enough to know that anything can happen in this game. If anyone had told you Greece were gonna win the European Championships last summer you would have called em a clueless numpty. No one gave em a chance before the finals started. No-one fancied em in the quarters, semis or the final.

it's not worth looking to our league form as a gauge for how this semi will go. chelsea are gonna be tough but were you any less confident of beating Juve in the last round? I imagine you didn't give us much chance but here we are.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:36 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
stmichael wrote:The facts are there for all to see we simply aren't good enough to win the league with this squad .

Apparently we're not even good enought to finish 4th . :(

I would settle for 4th over a CL semi right now for two basic reasons .
1, Despite what short term glory may be reflected upon us we are not going to win the CL this year (fact) Christ ! we get turned over by Crystal fking Palace and although I admire your loyalty those of you who belive we are gonna go on and beat Chelsea AND AC Milan are living in cloud cuckoo land.

As a footnote If we truly want to be considered one of the elite again we have to be in the CL year after year not just the odd season here and there .

I'm gutted at the number of times this team has THROWN away the opportunities to secure CL footy ,maybe the simple truth really is that they aren't f'king good enough .  :angry:    :down:

You're pathetic man.

We played Palace without:

Xabi, Garcia, Nunez, Baros, Hamann, Riise, Warnock, Biscan, Cisse, Kewell

That is 10 players.

And with Xabi running the show in midfield, we can overcome any team.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:42 pm

Banana why is Woof pathetic? He has the right to say whatever he wants. You can get your point across and disagree with him without having a go at him.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:07 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Despite what short term glory may be reflected upon us we are not going to win the CL this year (fact) Christ ! we get turned over by Crystal fking Palace and although I admire your loyalty those of you who belive we are gonna go on and beat Chelsea AND AC Milan are living in cloud cuckoo land.

I agree it seems unlikely. However I am convinced we will beat Chelsea, then we've just got to get past Milan which while admittedly being difficult is not impossible.
The Liverpool Premiership team would lose home and away in the semi, the Liverpool Champions League team who Knows?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:10 pm

A.B. wrote:Banana why is Woof pathetic? He has the right to say whatever he wants. You can get your point across and disagree with him without having a go at him.

You don't understand why I think he is pathetic?

What would you call a person who admits defeat three days before the game is played. A hero?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 pm

He can say what the hell he wants, it's his opinion. Disagree, state your arguement and move on.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:24 pm

Scottbot wrote:Come on Woof - I know it's still a bit of a long shot but you've been watching football long enough to know that anything can happen in this game.
it's not worth looking to our league form as a gauge for how this semi will go. chelsea are gonna be tough but were you any less confident of beating Juve in the last round? I imagine you didn't give us much chance but here we are.

Scottbot ,you're right when you say "anything can happen in football"  .Losing 1-0 to Crystal Palace supports this observation .

As for how I felt about our ability to get past Juve , I must admit although not totally confident I BELIEVED we could do it and we did . I guess right now I no longer believe that this team has what it takes to go on and win the CL.

For me the game against Palace was massive ,more important than our games against Juve and our upcoming ones against Chelsea , and far from stepping up a gear ,we huffed and puffed and got fk all . I appreciate that some people will dismiss our loss as not really that important ,preferring instead to concentrate on the more immediate possibility of lifting the CL trophy . This thread posed the question what would we rather have . I went for 4th place rather than further progress in the CL because I don't believe we are good enough to win it THIS SEASON and 4th place would at least guarantee CL footy next season .
Winning the CL this season would be fantastic .Not being in it next season (for me ) is a disaster.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:27 pm

banana wrote:You're pathetic man.

We played Palace without:

Xabi, Garcia, Nunez, Baros, Hamann, Riise, Warnock, Biscan, Cisse, Kewell

That is 10 players.

And with Xabi running the show in midfield, we can overcome any team.

Bannana , have no problem with your loyalty and show of support .

Now FU'CK OFF , talk to me when yer mum has bought you some long pants.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:29 pm

talk to me when yer mum has bought you some long pants.

:D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:49 am

banana wrote:You don't understand why I think he is pathetic?

What would you call a person who admits defeat three days before the game is played. A hero?

banana, youre entitled to your opinion mate, but that statement here, is without doubt, the most pathetic thing i have ever read.

ffs, you fail to grasp the fundamental underlying statement in woof's post, if you still dont understand what i'm on about, then its fuc'king tough, you'll need to go back to school and analyse the english language again....then perhaps, any argument or rant may at the very least be interesting and truthful.

until then, engage your brain first, before you post
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:52 am

banana wrote:
A.B. wrote:Banana why is Woof pathetic? He has the right to say whatever he wants. You can get your point across and disagree with him without having a go at him.

You don't understand why I think he is pathetic?

i sense a hypocrite.

I believe it was you who slagged the team off and admitted defeat at HT of the Olympiakos game.  :glare:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion