What an opportunity. - We must take it.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby burjennio » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:10 pm

im many ways i think its better to start the season stealing results, rather than coming out like a freight train waiting for the inevitable crash. Performances will get better, and once that happens if we're right in the mix then hopes can finally be raised for a realistic league challenge. I dont think any key players should be rested until the international break, then pull them out. Take that Capello.
However, any talk of relagating our champions league efforts because of this is insane. We all know how much cash it brings in and how much of a financial quagmire the club is in at the moment. Believe me, if we crashed out on Tuesday Rafas P45 will be on his desk Weds morning, and this club cannot afford to fall into even more disarray. The next 3 weeks really will be very, very interesting
burjennio

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:12 pm

Assuming he's fit, I would play Gerrard in midweek for a couple of reasons;

1) Liege are pining for a result over us, they outplayed us by a mile at their place and have two or three very dangerous players. They won 3-0 in their latest league match, and rested their best player - who coincidentally plays in central midfield. Plessis could get dominated again, and we need a presence in midfield - Gerrard is our only presence as Mascherano is away still. Alonso can get exposed too easily at times if he doesn't have a mobile and defensively astute player beside him, whilst Plessis' only quality seems to be to give pass the ball short distances.

2) It's absolutely crucial for us financially; if we want a wide player this transfer window, it's a must win game. How important is a wide player for us this transfer window? Very important, in my opinion. Crucial, even.
LFC2007

Postby hello_red » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:28 pm

The leagues a marathon, an ugly start yes but we have got off the traps quite well.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:37 pm

I agree LFC's view (although I'd substitute Gerrard as soon as we see we're winning comfortably). 

On the topic, let's look at the bright side, the most concerning thing of this start was both our notable olympic players and how would our internationals respond after a busy summer. It's not bad to go through that two games with two victories. At least it won't put anxiety on us right from the start. Whether we'll have a great opportunity or not shall be seen after the next few matches.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:49 am

HAPPY HAPPY FORUM  :D

We can really Push on I think and i agree we need to keep playing our best team when it is fit.

Just play them what have we got to lose another year of not winning the prem O dear I can live with that.

But then resting them like we have all other times will get us no where.

Time to attack this league head on Shock and Awe isn't that what the Yanks are best at.  :;):
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jono » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:19 am

best case scenario we could be 11 points in front of Manure after we play them or a point behind
You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
jono

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:48 pm

People forget that Chelsea won two titles and were close last year by doing exactly what we have done in our first two games - play ugly and win. 

People like Carragher and Gerrard can see their chances of getting a league title slip away, and it was those two who rolled their sleeves up and dug us out of the sh.it on Saturday.  That sort of attitude is infective, and if it spreads throughout our squad and we get our noses in front of the other big teams early season then you never know.  Momentum counts for a hell of a lot in football and we are starting to build some.

I still think we need at least one top wide player to be able to win this league, but we have had a good start and in terms of quality of football, we can only get better.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rafa09 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:53 pm

COME ON POMPEY
rafa09

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 pm

http://www.justin.tv/iraqgoals
Quality stream for Scum game!
Come on Pompey!! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Well United are doing what good teams do, they are winning when it matters most. No restings, delayed gazelles, rotations, wait and see approaches, they are going all out for the win and lead 1-0 at half time. No "you don't lose the league after two games"s, no "it's a marathon not a sprint"s and all that old nonsense, they don't want to fall four or five points behind us and Chelsea after a couple of games, becuase they know they'll have to make them up at some stage.

I've no doubt that after the International games in midweek there were a few tired legs when the players came back. Perhaps the manager considered leaving out their best players, but he resisted the temptation. THAT'S what I'm talking about when I talk of taking the opportunity. Even if they win here, if we win at Villa and then eventually manage to beat them at Home (which by the law of averages if nothing else we must do soon), then we will have a decent lead on them. We'll need it if we are going to win the thing, they will be right in the rattle you can be absolutely certain of that.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:11 pm

bigmick wrote:Well United are doing what good teams do, they are winning when it matters most. No restings, delayed gazelles, rotations, wait and see approaches, they are going all out for the win and lead 1-0 at half time. No "you don't lose the league after two games"s, no "it's a marathon not a sprint"s and all that old nonsense, they don't want to fall four or five points behind us and Chelsea after a couple of games, becuase they know they'll have to make them up at some stage.

I've no doubt that after the International games in midweek there were a few tired legs when the players came back. Perhaps the manager considered leaving out their best players, but he resisted the temptation. THAT'S what I'm talking about when I talk of taking the opportunity. Even if they win here, if we win at Villa and then eventually manage to beat them at Home (which by the law of averages if nothing else we must do soon), then we will have a decent lead on them. We'll need it if we are going to win the thing, they will be right in the rattle you can be absolutely certain of that.

Im still praying Pompey equalize!! :D
They were the slightly better team in the 1st half!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:12 pm

bigmick wrote:Well United are doing what good teams do, they are winning when it matters most. No restings, delayed gazelles, rotations, wait and see approaches, they are going all out for the win and lead 1-0 at half time. No "you don't lose the league after two games"s, no "it's a marathon not a sprint"s and all that old nonsense, they don't want to fall four or five points behind us and Chelsea after a couple of games, becuase they know they'll have to make them up at some stage.

they also had two extra days of rest and their next game on Friday is only the European Supercup they don't play in the league for a while.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:14 pm

and what is so great about a team with Fletcher, Wes Brown, and John O'Shea
JoeTerp

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 pm

JoeTerp wrote:and what is so great about a team with Fletcher, Wes Brown, and John O'Shea

Nothing really but they have a load of injuries and will be stronger soon!
They'd be fuc'ked without Fletcher though,he's the only player that has scored for them this season! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

JoeTerp wrote:and what is so great about a team with Fletcher, Wes Brown, and John O'Shea

Nothing that great about thenm Joe but they get the job done. Best centre half pairing in the league, two decent full backs and a solid keeper. Scholes and Anderson in midfield with Rooney and Tevez up top. It's still not a bad side to be fair, but more than anything else they have a collective will to get it done.

That said I agree with barry, i think Pompey are a bit unlucky to be 1-0 down. Another goal though kills it stone dead.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion