Missed opportunity - Toshack to be named welsh boss

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:56 pm

It looks like John Toshack will get the Wales job.  I like Toshack.  He has a proven track record as a manager, knows european football like the back of his hand and is Liverpool through and through.

I'd love to see him back at anfield in the future.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:04 pm

But he's not a top bracket manager (look at his record over the past 6 or 7 years) and while he was a great servant for LFC and will always be fondly remembered, appointing Toshak at any stage in the future would be a makor step backwards.

Toshaks time would have been in spring 1991 when Souness was appointed.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby gabbyh » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:10 pm

John Toshack has already been the Wales Manager, he dumped his country to manage in Spain.
I don't want him back at Anfield in the future, he has no loyalty.
I think Ian Rush has better credentials and better loyalty.
I thought that managing ones Country came above managing a Club. 
It was the pinnacle of your career?
gabbyh

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:13 pm

gabbyh wrote:John Toshack has already been the Wales Manager, he dumped his country to manage in Spain.
I don't want him back at Anfield in the future, he has no loyalty.
I think Ian Rush has better credentials and better loyalty.
I thought that managing ones Country came above managing a Club. 
It was the pinnacle of your career?

Mark Hughes didn't think so !!
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:17 pm

Rushie needs to learn the ropes at club level first.  I reckon Toshack is the best man available to turn your country team around gabbyh.....look on the bright side, at one tage Houllier was interested.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:21 pm

If Houllier had taken over you'd have had a load of unheard of, average French players in your team ???  :p  :Oo:  :down:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:29 pm

.....and Houllier would have been declaring that he used to love watching the Welsh team play in the '60's when he was teaching there and that his love of welsh football always remained with him.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby gabbyh » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:35 pm

I know Mark Hughes did well for the Welsh team, but as soon as a Premiereship team came snooping around, MH was gone!! Rushie has been named manager of the month for Chester FC, so OK, hands up! I agree!!! John Toshack with Rushie as his second in command should be brilliant as the team behind the Welsh national side.

England, Wales,Scotland and Ireland would rule the world as a united team!!! Don't you think???
gabbyh

Postby Santa » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:35 pm

Sean wrote:.....and Houllier would have been declaring that he used to love watching the Welsh team play in the '60's when he was teaching there and that his love of welsh football always remained with him.

:D   :D

He'd be teaching Welsh in the 60s?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:49 pm

A British / Irish team would be interesting.  There'd certainly be alot of selection headaches.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby the great one » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:37 pm

toshack new wales manget taff how u feel about that i wounder if he will stay longer than 1 match :laugh: :D
Last edited by the great one on Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Craig Bellamy is unimpressed by the appointment.  He said it "did not touch a button" for him.

Toshack managed a Real Madrid team including Hugo Sanchez, Emilio Butragueno and Michel to the spanish title in 15 years ago.  Keeping those egos motivated could not have been easy.  Surely Bellamy can respect that or maybe he really is as thick as alot of people make out.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:55 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Toshaks time would have been in spring 1991 when Souness was appointed.

Now that was a missed opportunity
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:57 pm

Lee J wrote:If Houllier had taken over you'd have had a load of unheard of, average French players in your team ???  :p  :Oo:  :down:

Yeah, probably got some Welsh grannies somewhere after a France-Wales rugby match back in the late 70s.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:07 pm

Firstly Toshack has been touting for the job since Hughes announced he was going but has been critical in the press and on TV of tactics and the Welsh Team and is seen in Wales as a bit of a troublemaker

Hughes' tactics let him down but after the debacle of that loon B Gould Hughesy was superb building team spirit and professionalising the set up although he never lost the players his tactical decisions were a bit off the mark and Toshack publicly said this which irritated the players with the likes of Savage hinting at a retirement exodus if they appointed the wrong sort of manager which after the terrible start and the laclustre against England (who we know have a better team but we didnt even rough them up ) the public started to think so what go then

Hence the "peoples" choice

Rushie is long term nobody expected anything from him after retirement but he's got on with his coaching badges and is doing ok in Chester but him now would be wrong

Houllier, still wouldnt mind him involved somehow but we aint got the cash

So Tosh, From Cardiff but lives in Swansea which is a bitter divide but he seems to have avoided that somehow
Has a decent record but not a great one but the worry is

1. Will senior players support
2. Where are the next generation
3. Wheres National youth academy
4. Last time he was a disaster

From and LFC point of view Tosh or Rafa well Rafa all the way cant even begin to see a good counter argument
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion