The Results Comparison - 2006-07 versus 2007-08

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:50 pm

I also agree we need an improvement, this two results have done a lot of harm, and after all we have reinforced the squad quite importantly this season so we should expect to see some improvement, or be close to win the league.

We've had many problems this season, some people will call them excuses, but injuries (Agger, Pennant, Alonso, Kewell at the beginning) do not help, Pako's departure didn't help, and all the Rafa-American saga did not help either.

Hopefully we'll settle ourselves now we don't have to play in Europe for a while and we'll improve.

I for one do think our squad is very good, improvable as all the squads, but good enough to be closer to the top. I have trust in the manager and the players so I believe this improvement will come.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:43 pm

"Many problems this season" Sabes? Injuries? Pako leaving? American saga?

"Some people might call them excuses". Now I wonder who that might be? :D

We've also had the problems caused by our self-inflicted derailement at Pompey, followed by our "blip" and subsequent "dip in form". It was also with hindsight a bit of a problem to play the formation and personel we did at Reading and I hope this "blip" doesn't last as long as the last one. We'll see of course, but I agree there have been many problems this season.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:56 pm

By some people I mean Peewee and Bamaga man and others I cannot remember right now, no dig intended to them, just remembering last season review thread in which we discussed whether the season had been very dissapointing or not.

I use some people as a unspecific way to say that it's more than one, but not lots :D

Now, a big squad has to deal with this circunstances aswell. Big squads must be deep among other things to deal with this injuries, so I won't defend too much Rafa if we're 15 points away again, I will talk about a very dissapointing season this time (if that's the case, but I don't think so I trust the guys and the methods)
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:17 pm

during the American vs. Rafa Saga we were doing pretty good, it wasn't till they came over that we :censored: it up.
JoeTerp

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:16 pm

JoeTerp wrote:during the American vs. Rafa Saga we were doing pretty good, it wasn't till they came over that we :censored: it up.

GOD DAMN YANKS !
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:during the American vs. Rafa Saga we were doing pretty good, it wasn't till they came over that we :censored: it up.

GOD DAMN YANKS !

Being serious , I wish we had never sold our soul to them, they haven't enough money for the job. Maybe DIC wern't the perfect owners but at least they had enough money. I think we may come to regret that decision for a painfully long time.
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:26 am

Bump - Come on Leon cheer us all up (Personally I wont mind if you lie a little and add a few points mate)

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:11 pm

So, maths say that if we can be 9 points better in 15 games, then we can be 22 or 23 better in 38, which means that if we continue this way, we'll be bridging the gap we had yesteryear to challegenge for the title.

And all that in spite rotation. Not bad.

So going from this optimistic post and comparison of last year to this ....

I also agree we need an improvement, this two results have done a lot of harm, and after all we have reinforced the squad quite importantly this season so we should expect to see some improvement, or be close to win the league.

We've had many problems this season, some people will call them excuses, but injuries (Agger, Pennant, Alonso, Kewell at the beginning) do not help, Pako's departure didn't help, and all the Rafa-American saga did not help either.

Hopefully we'll settle ourselves now we don't have to play in Europe for a while and we'll improve.

I for one do think our squad is very good, improvable as all the squads, but good enough to be closer to the top. I have trust in the manager and the players so I believe this improvement will come.

Only a couple of posts later, and the excuses are already up. :D

Sabre all football teams get injuries, we can hardly use Kewell as a standing arguement the blokes been in the treatment room for the best part of two years, bl.oody Nora.

Pako's departure didnt help your right, but Chelsea's manager was given the boot and some Israeli bloke took over and their still above us.

Our squad is good, our team are very good.

But not good enough to win the league, ontop of that Rafa style tactics, I'm afraid. :(
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:52 pm

It's not excuses, it's reasons.

To win a league you need to do everything well. If you don't do several things well, you don't win the league. And those several things are the reasons.

Now you can be lazy minded and say, "it's rotation". But the truth is that I don't think it's the main reason (or excuse). And yes, some of some reasons are up to Rafa, I won't deny he's the man to bring Voronin, or Babel, which haven't been an impact as Torres has been.

But I'll keep my word. I said that if things didn't go that well I'd say rotation is not working in England, and so far it's not working. So I can't blame bigmick and others that are skeptical to this rotation, if they don't see it working (winning) they don't have to trust in it, and that's fair enough.

I admit that reluctantly because I gave my word, not because I believe rotation doesn't work. I really was confident that this years signings would make a difference, but so far only Torres has made a real difference. Benayoun does his things, but then Luis Garcia also gave us a lot of goals a season, so there's not a real improvement in that case for instance. Babel doesn't seem to be the wing man we were looking neither.

I believe in rotation because in my book your football and mine is all football at the end of the day. For some reason there will be players that will fail when making the jump (Henry and Robben so far are struggling in Spain) and also methods that will adapt better or worse, but at the end of the day football is football and most of the things that work somewhere can be exported. I can't see why the principle that works in my country (Real Madrid is rotating massively nowadays) doesn't work in England so far. But since it's not working, I can only have the head down and admit it.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Updated to include the last two results (if you can call them results) against Readign and United.

Overall we are on 30 this season, this is only 3 up on the 27 points against the same teams last season. With almost everyone played we do need to see an improvement - most importantly against the three teams in the league.

Crucially we are now only 5 points better off as at the same stage of the 2006-07 season. This 5 points, if we assume the same 5 point "swing in the second half of the season will only put us to within 11 points of the lead.

This is obviously not going to win us the league, (although many think we wont now anyway) so the improved results over the rest of the big four will be the deciding factor in wether or not we are goign to have any chance.

3 points off the MAncs total, and three on ours when coupled with the 10 point swing (see above) will mean we are two wins from top spot all things being equal. Thats what I had hoped for this season.

I compared the results from this season compared with the corresponding fixtures last season and we're now just ONE point better off. Optimists may say an improvement's an improvement, realists will point out that we finished far too far behind the mancs last season and we're only one point closer this.

The way Rafa handles the team, formations, defending, substitutions and signings I can't see us being close to the mancs for years - unless the glazers get bored and sell the club into debt. Then we'll only be behind Arsenal and Chelsea, we're not so much catching them as hoping they'll make more mistakes and slip up. I read that Rafa hasn't written off the title yet, quite how he thinks we'll catch up twelve points with one game in hand and trips to the big three AWAY I don't know. We're set fair to drop SIXTEEN points in games against the top three, how does he expect to catch that up if we can't even beat WIGAN?!?!??!?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:19 pm

Owzat wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Updated to include the last two results (if you can call them results) against Readign and United.

Overall we are on 30 this season, this is only 3 up on the 27 points against the same teams last season. With almost everyone played we do need to see an improvement - most importantly against the three teams in the league.

Crucially we are now only 5 points better off as at the same stage of the 2006-07 season. This 5 points, if we assume the same 5 point "swing in the second half of the season will only put us to within 11 points of the lead.

This is obviously not going to win us the league, (although many think we wont now anyway) so the improved results over the rest of the big four will be the deciding factor in wether or not we are goign to have any chance.

3 points off the MAncs total, and three on ours when coupled with the 10 point swing (see above) will mean we are two wins from top spot all things being equal. Thats what I had hoped for this season.

I compared the results from this season compared with the corresponding fixtures last season and we're now just ONE point better off. Optimists may say an improvement's an improvement, realists will point out that we finished far too far behind the mancs last season and we're only one point closer this.

The way Rafa handles the team, formations, defending, substitutions and signings I can't see us being close to the mancs for years - unless the glazers get bored and sell the club into debt. Then we'll only be behind Arsenal and Chelsea, we're not so much catching them as hoping they'll make more mistakes and slip up. I read that Rafa hasn't written off the title yet, quite how he thinks we'll catch up twelve points with one game in hand and trips to the big three AWAY I don't know. We're set fair to drop SIXTEEN points in games against the top three, how does he expect to catch that up if we can't even beat WIGAN?!?!??!?

I have just updated it mate, I can only assume that you have forgotten about the game in hand and assumed we had played the game ?

According to my figures, this season = 38 points, slipping to just 3 more than against the same teams last season and at the same point last season we where 4 worse off (35 points and 34 points respectively).
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:56 am

BUMP or maybe we should just forget about it now the seasons turned to cr@p?

2006/07
W-13 D-6 L-4 F-40 A-15 Pts-45

2007/08
W-10 D-10 L-3 F-37 A-17 Pts-40

I got this off another site, I don't know how accurate it is and to be honest I am not sure if I really care anymore. Only thing that strikes me looking at that, is our goals for and against aren't much different where as I would have thought we had both scored and conceeded many more goals this season.

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:10 am

statistics mean nothing, absoloutely NOTHING, truth is we're 17 points behind right now with over half the season gone, with still the top three to play away and another derby game which goes either way, usually ours if mark clattenburg is the ref :D

but in all seriousness, it's going to be another season where we are over 25 points behind the eventual winners, and we'll be lucky to even make the top 4 this season, but of course to some liverpool fans that doesn't matter as long as we win the european cup. well it does matter to me. I've been a liverpool fan for the last 40 years and was brought up seeing us win the league year in year out as well as 4 european cups when we were at our best. so for a club of our size, with the players we have and the money we've spent, it's a disgrace to be nearly 30 points behind the leaders every year. i sincerally hope we don't make the top 4 this year, nor do we make the uefa cup and i dont want us to win the european cup this season. I want next year to be solely concentrated on the league.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:34 am

I think the one overiding conclusion I would draw from this thread would be that with the benefit of hindsight, such statistics are a bad idea and I hope nobody starts a similar one next season. The important comparison is always with how everybody else is doing, and how well you did in corresponding fixtures the previous season doesn't hold much relevance for me. Check out the league table, that tells you how good you are. Simple really.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I think we're something like 11 points better off than we were at this stage last season. The Mancs are about two points better off.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion