Arsenal 2007/8 vs 2006/7 - Very interesting comparison

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:36 am

Arsenal have played a disproportionate amount of home games in the Premiership so far (7-4) and I had a look at their fixtures to see when they catch them up. They have three away games in the Premiership in a row - villa, Newcastle and Boro. All three could take points off the goners, although Boro would need to up their game to do so.

Arsenal Premiership run (and last season's results)

Reading (a) W4-0
Wigan (h) W2-1
Villa (a) W1-0
Newcastle (a) D0-0
Boro (a) D1-1
Chelsea (h) D1-1
Tottenham (h) W3-0
Portsmouth (a) D0-0
Everton (a) L0-1
West Ham (h) L0-1

No easy games there , only 2 convincing results that weren't within 1 goal either way last season. And those 10 games last season produced P10 W4 D4 L2 F12 A5 PTS 16 - I think we'd all settle for anything approaching 'same again' (14 points dropped) even if there are a few they win this time around and lose others - Arsenal fans excepted of course

The results obtained this season compared to last season's corresponding fixtures :-

2007/8 P9 W6 D3 L0 F16 A7 PTS 21 (GD +9)
2006/7 P9 W6 D1 L2 F18 A11 PTS 19 (GD +7)

That comparison excludes Derby and Sunderland for which there are no corresponding fixtures. So they're two points better off. Have they improved massively or simply had a run of games they normally expect to win anyway? I'd say the latter - Fulham (h), Portsmouth (h), Tottenham (h or a), Man City (h) and Bolton (h). I have been impressed with their form, however the stats do tell a story. The reversal of last season's result at Upton Park is the difference, but for that result it would be one point the other way and zero GD in it

If Arsenal beat Reading then they will equal Houllier's start of P12 W9 D3 L0 in 2002/3 - Liverpool ended fifth.
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:43 pm

Arsenal 2007/8

WDWWWWWWWDDW

Arsenal P12 W9 D3 L0 F27 A10 PTS 30 (GD +17)
Man Utd P13 W9 D3 L1 F23 A6 PTS 30 (GD +17)

Liverpool 2002/3

WWDDDWWWWWWW

Liverpool P12 W9 D3 L0 F24 A9 PTS 30 (GD +15)
Arsenal P12 W8 D2 L2 F27 A13 PTS 26 (GD +14)
Man Utd* P12 W6 D4 L2 F16 A9 PTS 22 (GD +7)

*Man Utd won the Premiership despite being 8 points off the top after 12 games, although in fairness they were only 4 points behind Arsenal who stayed second while Liverpool finished fifth.

Final 26 games (2002/3)

Man Utd P26 W19 D4 L3 PTS 61
Arsenal P26 W15 D7 L4 PTS 52
Liverpool P26 W9 D7 L10 PTS 34
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:45 pm

villa newcastle and boro?
looks to me like they have a great easy run coming up... they are the team im most worried about. manure can be beaten, but the gooners, that'll be a harder prospect
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:57 pm

dawson99 wrote:villa newcastle and boro?
looks to me like they have a great easy run coming up... they are the team im most worried about. manure can be beaten, but the gooners, that'll be a harder prospect

It might of been more difficult playing them games earlier before they are into there stride and in great form.
At this moment and time they are easily capable of winning all three of those games, but come the african nations in january when they lose some key players that might be a time when they struggle more.
Not sure what dates exactly the tournament is and what fixtures they will have though.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:10 pm

they lose toure and eboue... with gallas coming back. the afican nations is gonna hit portsmouth and chelsea hardest.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:34 pm

dawson99 wrote:they lose toure and eboue... with gallas coming back. the afican nations is gonna hit portsmouth and chelsea hardest.

Toure will be a big loss even with Gallas fit, Senderos doesnt convince me at all.
Does Adebayor not play for Togo anymore or havent they qualified ?

Agreed about the other two, to lose Essien and Drogba for Chelsea will be a major loss, and Muntari Utaka and Kanu will be a problem for Portsmouth. Are Senegal there as well ? Because then they would lose Papa Bouba Diop as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:35 pm

adebayor has quit his club, ive actually backed him top gs (sorry but 40/1 was massive)

the gooners thing will be come end of the seasona s they dont have the biggest squad so we should be able to catch up nicely
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ramseylegend » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:44 pm

when they get a few injury's there real class will show, whether is be good or bad
ramseylegend

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah I must confess I don't envisage Arsenal dropping too many points at this stage. I made the point on another thread that I don't actually envisage any of the big boys will be dropping too many points over the next ten games or so.

We really are at the stage of the season now where if you aint playing one of the big four, you need to be going all out for the win. 1-1 with twenty minutes to go? Well if it happens to you twice in the next eight games, you're obviously better off winning one and losing one than you are consilidating to draw both.

I would have thought that given the fact that we are a little bit behind the leaders we certainly wouldn't want to be falling any further adrift if we're serious. We probably need to beat Man Utd at Home in a few weeks, and pretty much win most of our matches for the forseeable. We're six points behind Arsenal now, so if they were to perhaps pick up twenty two points over the next ten games, we would want to be getting at least within one win of them by the end of that period. We'd be needing twenty five or twenty six pointsish. Eight wins and two draws.

Regardless of what Arsenal do, my strong suspicion is that the team which finishes above Man Utd (if infact anyone does) will win it. They are currently six points ahead of us, but we have a game in hand. I think to have realistic aspirations, we will need to beat them at home and not lose ground to them over the other upcoming fixtures. In short, over the next ten games or so I think we are going to need probably 25 points as a minimum, including a win over the Mancs.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:18 pm

When do we play our game and hand over United and who is it against ?

JANUARY can be declared an official period of moaning for football managers in Britain, with the number of players potentially leaving their clubs to appear in the African Nations Cup more than double the previous highest.

A possible 44 players could be summoned to Ghana for five weeks in the New Year, compared with 21 when the tournament was previously played two years ago, and the numbers add up to a big boost for Manchester United in the title race.

The successes of African players at Arsenal and Chelsea have encouraged their Premier League rivals to follow the same route, and a heavy price will be paid when the biennial tournament comes around.

The event takes place between January 20 and February 10, but countries are allowed by Fifa to call up players on January 6 to prepare.

Only United, Manchester City and Aston Villa do not have players who may re- present one of the 16 countries in the tournament.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are likely to receive bad news when the squads of the 16 competing nations are announced, with Avram Grant’s team particularly weakened.

Chelsea are expected to be without three players who appear to be first choice in Didier Drogba, Michael Essien and John Obi Mikel, while Salomon Kalou, an Ivory Coast team- mate of Drogba, is also likely to be picked.

The same country should take Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue off Arsenal’s hands, although Emmanuel Adebayor remains in England after Togo’s failure to qualify.

Liverpool have only the possible absence of Mohamed Sissoko, the Mali midfield player, to concern them  ???   , but Portsmouth could suffer the most.

Papa Bouba Diop, Sulley Muntari and John Utaka, the midfield regulars, are due to play in the tournament, along with back-up striker Kanu.

Those chosen for the African Cup of Nations could miss eight matches. Between the player- release date and the final of the competition, clubs are scheduled to play five league fixtures as well as a possible FA Cup fourth-round tie and a two-leg Carling Cup semifinal.

The issue is not cut and dried, though. In the past, England- based African players have withdrawn from tournaments or ended their international careers under pressure from their clubs or because they have fallen out with their country’s coach or football association.

The clubs will also be keen that their players’ countries exit at the group stage, which ends on January 31, allowing an early return.

African Nations
destro

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:01 am

bigmick wrote:Yeah I must confess I don't envisage Arsenal dropping too many points at this stage. I made the point on another thread that I don't actually envisage any of the big boys will be dropping too many points over the next ten games or so.

Arsenal's next four games are quite testing, here's how they fared last season :-

Middlesboro (a) D1-1
Chelsea (h) D1-1
Portsmouth (a) D0-0
Tottenham (h) W3-0

Boro are a lot easier to beat this season, they've lost three times at home already but then Newcastle have lost twice themselves at home. Chelsea are hard to beat anywhere, Portsmouth held Liverpool and the mancs and have a record of P7 W2 D5 L0 at home this season. Tottenham have been rubbish, but then Arsenal beat them last season and most seasons so that's not a serious doubt.

So I reckon they could drop four points, exactly how many we would be behind if we win our game in hand..............
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:30 am

Well last night was a nice surprise, especially as they scored first and Newcastle's heads seemed to drop with the crowd getting on there backs again.
But surprisingly after about half an hour Newcastle started to play with a bit more passion, stopped Arsenal from passing and deserved there point.
From the fixtures above i would expect a win at Boro and at home to Spurs but with the other two games they could certainly drop points, we need to be capitalising on that.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:49 am

I think we might just have some cover for Momo like.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 am

destro wrote:When do we play our game and hand over United and who is it against ?

West Ham... but i dont think a dates been sorted yet
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby poolboyuk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 am

yes the ' :censored: have shown some small signs of starting to struggle a bit. Villa dominated but credit to the :censored: they got the points. Newcastle fully deserved their point and the second half was a bit of a surprise given the start Arsenal had. Suppose the player discontent stories at Newcastle are :censored: cause that was certainly a team playing for the manager! I can see them beating Boro casue they are simply woeful - the other games will be difficult for them. I've a feeling Tottenham may spring a surprise as they start to get it together under Ramos.

Regardless - we have to keep winning and building momentum. Reading away should be a win - end of!
poolboyuk

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion