The rafa situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bammo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:34 pm

Effes wrote:
maguskwt wrote:"Rafa rubbishes Anfield exit rumours"

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has dismissed reports suggesting he was about to quit his job by insisting he is "100% committed to the club".

GettyImages

Rafa Benitez: Quit rumours are nonsense

There was speculation surrounding the future of the Spaniard following Liverpool's 2-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on the opening day of their Premier League season but Benitez's team bounced back with a 4-0 win against Stoke City on Wednesday.

Speaking after the match, Benitez said: "I remain 100 per cent committed to the club, the fans and players."

Reports had suggested that Benitez had once again fallen out with the Anfield board over the lack of transfer funds available to him and had threatened to walk out. But Liverpool's managing director Christian Purslow insists that is not true.

"It's 1000 per cent rubbish," Purslow told The Sun. "I had dinner with Rafa and the fact I had not heard the rumours should tell you everything about how true they are."

Bookmakers had suspended betting on Benitez's future prior to Wednesday night's victory over Stoke.

You know what I wouldn't have blamed him if he really did leave under these circumstances. I just find it quite amazing how he's enduring these difficulties and say he's 100% committed when in Valencia under similar difficulties he just quit. It really does seem like he's adamant on bringing success to LFC. Hopefully he will achieve it and bring back the premier league trophy.

Schoolboy error

Reality: Purslow told someone else, it was written up on various websites (do a google news search to see), then the scummy rag took it and claimed credit.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Effes wrote:

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has dismissed reports suggesting he was about to quit his job by insisting he is "100% committed to the club".

GettyImages

There was speculation surrounding the future of the Spaniard following Liverpool's 2-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur on the opening day of their Premier League season but Benitez's team bounced back with a 4-0 win against Stoke City on Wednesday.

Speaking after the match, Benitez said: "I remain 100 per cent committed to the club, the fans and players."

Reports had suggested that Benitez had once again fallen out with the Anfield board over the lack of transfer funds available to him and had threatened to walk out. But Liverpool's managing director Christian Purslow insists that is not true.

"It's 1000 per cent rubbish," Purslow told The Sun. "I had dinner with Rafa and the fact I had not heard the rumours should tell you everything about how true they are."

Bookmakers had suspended betting on Benitez's future prior to Wednesday night's victory over Stoke.

You know what I wouldn't have blamed him if he really did leave under these circumstances. I just find it quite amazing how he's enduring these difficulties and say he's 100% committed when in Valencia under similar difficulties he just quit. It really does seem like he's adamant on bringing success to LFC. Hopefully he will achieve it and bring back the premier league trophy.

Schoolboy error

I've cut and pasted from soccernet.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 am

I think he was directing that at Purslow not you mate.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:27 pm

LINK

RAFA BENITEZ has told Liverpool’s fans that they can put their money on him staying at Anfield for the remaining five years of his contract – even though the club’s owners have told him there is no more money to spend.

The Spaniard was at the centre of a whispering campaign claiming he had quit the Kop just hours before the midweek romp over Stoke after a row with Tom Hicks and George Gillett over a lack of transfer funds.

The rumours were so strong that bookmakers stopped taking bets on Benitez becoming the latest manager to part company with his club – and even friends of the Liverpool managed contacted him to ask if it was true.

But although Sunday Mirror Sport can confirm that Benitez has been told by the American pair that there will be no more spending following the £1million capture of Sotirios Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens, the former Valencia coach is adamant that he will not be turning his back on the club after five years on Merseyside.

Benitez said: “I can tell everyone that my commitment to the club is still there.

“When I signed the new contract it was because of the fans, because of the staff and because of the players.

“I told everyone I will stay. It was my decision. I’m really pleased here and I would like to stay for the length of my contract. The fans know this so that’s the most important thing for me.

“The problem here is that rumours go around very, very quickly.

“Even people who know me wanted to know what was happening. They all asked: ‘Are you going? What happened?’

“I was even surprised myself.”

Benitez added: “We had a situation similar to this one when we played Real Madrid in the Champions League.

“It was a surprise then, but we won the game. This time I received some messages when I was preparing for the game against Stoke.

“They came through on my phone. We had a team talk and then came the messages.

“I had to concentrate but no-one expected that. I don’t know how but someone started talk about this and the rumour grew.

“I can guarantee, though, that nothing affected me as I was preparing for the Stoke game.”

Benitez refused to comment on the owners’ continuing failure to hand him the finances to compete with Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea for top players.

He has spent £35m bringing Glen Johnson, Alberto Aquilani and Kyrgiakos to the club this summer.

But he raised most of that by selling Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid and in January he secured another £20m by sending Robbie Keane back to Tottenham.

Since finishing just four points behind United in the Premier League title race, Benitez has failed to land targets like Carlos Tevez, David Villa and David Silva.

But Hicks and Gillett were forced to find £60m to secure a £300m refinancing deal with the Royal Bank of Scotland.

And after handing Benitez a big pay rise when he signed his new five-year contract at the end of last season, fresh deals for Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have drained all available cash.

Benitez insisted: “I will not talk about money. I prefer not to talk about it. But it will be difficult to bring more players in or to let players go. Anyway we are pleased with the squad.”

But if Liverpool fail to deliver on their manager’s faith it is certain that the relationship between Benitez and his employers will come under strain again.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:51 pm

Good to see him reiterate again his willingness to stay but sick to see him finally confirm what we all kind of knew in that we have £0 to spend, I really want to know if tht £60m debt payment came striaght out of the club, which would effectively mean that its the fans paying for these b*stards to own us, Is it even known how much of their own money Gillette and Hicks have actually used, and how much has been siphoned directly from Club income?
burjennio

Postby loopyliverpool » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:24 am

maguskwt wrote:
Owzat wrote:I find it hard to sympathise with Rafa given his spending last summer (c. £39m) on a handful of players of whom none really excelled and now £37.5m on two players, an overpriced RB and a crocked CM

So Owzat do you still think Johnson is overpriced? A club like LFC's stature deserves quality players and nowadays quality players cost quality money... I don't criticize Benitez for paying that much money for Johnson and Aquilani but I do agree that his other signings the other year was left wanting... especially Babel and Lucas and Degen and Dossena. That was a bad year for Rafa in the transfer market. But he did also bring in Benayoun and Reira and both have been a success. Rafa 'gambled' on Torres when he was still a promising stiker but not a world class one when he paid 20 million for him. Now everyone must agree that that was a shrewd business. A club like Liverpool deserves players like Torres and Johnson but I'm afraid for those kinda players you need to pay top dollar and when you're paying that much it is always a gamble...

'Rafa gambled on Torres'.... you must be kidding he was a nailed on certainty to be a legend.... just ask any Athletico fan and he was established well enough in his national side too and he cost nearer £25m, apart from that I agree with most of your other points but, I wouldn't bracket Johnson in the same class as Torres but he (Johnson) is decent enough.
loopyliverpool

Postby heimdall » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:55 am

GettyImages

Yeah it's got to be hard life trying to get by on £3million a year, poor man!  :help
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:56 am

zarababe wrote:F'ukin disgraceful how rafa is treated

moores and pr'ick selling the soul of LFC HOW DO THEY SLEEP :angry:

upside down maybe  :D
heimdall

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:11 am

heimdall wrote:

GettyImages

Yeah it's got to be hard life trying to get by on £3million a year, poor man!  :help

Don't talk rubbish Heimdall ..... :angry:

Rafa's on £5million a year mate  :D
account deleted by request

Postby heimdall » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:13 am

s@int wrote:
heimdall wrote:

GettyImages

Don't talk rubbish Heimdall ..... :angry:

Rafa's on £5million a year mate  :D

I meant after tax  :lookaround   :D
heimdall

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:24 am

heimdall wrote:

GettyImages

Seriously why dont you fuck off?

I dont care if I get a warning because you a just one pathetic tw@t.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:08 am

Cigs, thats totally un-necessary and you know it. Come on, if you're like that now what're going to be like by crimbo?? Chill dude.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:23 am

Reg wrote:Cigs, thats totally un-necessary and you know it. Come on, if you're like that now what're going to be like by crimbo?? Chill dude.

Why is it? Cause some clueless tw@t that is only here to slag off the manager, and only likes us cause he got a freebie from Carlsberg? I think I will pass your offer up Reg to calm down, infact I am livid that this gobsh!te is masquaring as a Liverpool fan. And his side kick.

Ive never known fans like them in my life and I certainly dont want to be entertainging them now.

They are pathetic and are here for nothing but a wind up, every thing they say is to cause controversy between the natives they know it, we know it.

They can fuck off Im on to them I already had my suspitions and one of them is no Liverpool fan.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:21 am

loopyliverpool wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
Owzat wrote:I find it hard to sympathise with Rafa given his spending last summer (c. £39m) on a handful of players of whom none really excelled and now £37.5m on two players, an overpriced RB and a crocked CM

So Owzat do you still think Johnson is overpriced? A club like LFC's stature deserves quality players and nowadays quality players cost quality money... I don't criticize Benitez for paying that much money for Johnson and Aquilani but I do agree that his other signings the other year was left wanting... especially Babel and Lucas and Degen and Dossena. That was a bad year for Rafa in the transfer market. But he did also bring in Benayoun and Reira and both have been a success. Rafa 'gambled' on Torres when he was still a promising stiker but not a world class one when he paid 20 million for him. Now everyone must agree that that was a shrewd business. A club like Liverpool deserves players like Torres and Johnson but I'm afraid for those kinda players you need to pay top dollar and when you're paying that much it is always a gamble...

'Rafa gambled on Torres'.... you must be kidding he was a nailed on certainty to be a legend.... just ask any Athletico fan and he was established well enough in his national side too and he cost nearer £25m, apart from that I agree with most of your other points but, I wouldn't bracket Johnson in the same class as Torres but he (Johnson) is decent enough.

:laugh:

Rafa did 'gamble' on Torres. 20.6 million pounds, club record transfer, on a striker who had a decent  but not prolific scoring record. A player who we could never tell whether he will be a success or not in the Premier League. Not just any foreign league, a league that is notorious for its competitiveness and physicality where the likes of Veron and Morientes and Schevchenko have failed to live up to their reputations, reputations which were far ahead of Fernando Torres' when they came to the Premier League.

And you do know what it means when you write a word with apostrophes don't you?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:23 am

Lescott has been sold for more than Torres cost work that one out Owzat.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion