Striker situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:18 pm

Do we sign a striker with Cisse possibly out for the rest of the season?

Obviously we have Baros who is an out and out striker, Garcia can come in and score goals but do you think that Kewell and Pongolle will be able to score 15+ like Cisse was expected to? I don't think so, hopefully we can get a proven class striker in January  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:43 pm

This situation is the reason why Benitez likes goals comming from the midfield. If the midfield can continue to score along with Baros, we will not be affected by Cisse's injury. With Gerrard coming back we will score more so it shouldn't be our main worry. Come January we do need a striker, who it will be nobody knows.

I am more concerned about Hyypia and Josemi at the moment.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:47 pm

We need a big guy to complement Baros and Pongolle. I feel sorry for Cisse. His injury is bad news for him personally, but also for LFC. Now we are desperately short up front and it will give Benitez very few options. This injury will cost us many points.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:48 pm

I agree their fella, we need pace at the back :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:56 pm

.. who to sign.. Moreintes real won't realeasde him in Jan .. Mista's just signed a new contract at Valenica... who to sign to compliment the hard-working Baros.. ?

The encouraging thing is that we are not wholly reaint of the front man/men for goals...  others are chipping-in..

I must agree with AB.. we were shambolic for both goals today.. defence must be sorted.. Joshemi.. is not looking that gd.. and he and Tugay were atrocious with some of there cynical fouls today.. :(

hey .. but Benitez will sort it ...  :)
Last edited by zarababe on Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:59 pm

In this type of situation the players must not lose their concentration as they did on the pitch today after Cisse was taken off. People thought that we would drop into the bottom of the table without Gerrard, that hasn't happened.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:10 pm

A.B. wrote:In this type of situation the players must not lose their concentration as they did on the pitch today after Cisse was taken off. People thought that we would drop into the bottom of the table without Gerrard, that hasn't happened.

Ok. We can manage without Gerrard because Benitez have strenghtned midfield with Alonso, Nunez and Garcia. But up front we have fewer options. If we had kept Heskey, I think he would have improved his game massively and looked a different player under Benitez (just like Traore). We need a new striker, a big strong guy to complement Baros and Pongo. And we also need two new defenders. Hyypia will continue to cost us points until he is replaced.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:14 pm

Ok. We can manage without Gerrard because Benitez have strenghtned midfield with Alonso, Nunez and Garcia.

The midfield has scored just more than Cisse, [Gerrard 2 goals,Riise 2,Garcia 3, Alonso 1.]. Basicaly our midfielders have scored plenty of goals this season and they can continue to do so along with Baros.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:21 pm

Don't get me wrong, I know you're worried and so is everybody else. But you have to stay optimistic, it's not the end of the world. If we can't get the job done without Cisse than we aren't going to be winning anything in a long time. We have to continue to play the way we have recently without Cisse. It's that simple.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:33 pm

.. optimism is high A.B...  Benitez has done more than enuff to instill that in all of us... that's whi he will sort it.. :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:34 pm

banana wrote:Ok. We can manage without Gerrard because Benitez have strenghtned midfield with Alonso, Nunez and Garcia. But up front we have fewer options. If we had kept Heskey, I think he would have improved his game massively and looked a different player under Benitez (just like Traore). We need a new striker, a big strong guy to complement Baros and Pongo. And we also need two new defenders. Hyypia will continue to cost us points until he is replaced.

Do not wish Heskey apon us again!

He was one of our best players in the treble season, but since then contributed little. He has the ability but cant maintain his confidence for long enough to become a regular goalscorer. Martin O'Neill couldn't get him to score and neither can Steve Bruce.

If you watched the game today you would see what I mean. 80% of the time he plays with his back to the oppositions goal. He was involved today winning a lot of possession but he would never just turn and run or shoot at goal. Why? Because he has no belief in himself as a goalscorer. I always hoped he would turn it around with Liverpool, he had so much potential but he NEVER will.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:40 pm

fivecups wrote:
banana wrote:Ok. We can manage without Gerrard because Benitez have strenghtned midfield with Alonso, Nunez and Garcia. But up front we have fewer options. If we had kept Heskey, I think he would have improved his game massively and looked a different player under Benitez (just like Traore). We need a new striker, a big strong guy to complement Baros and Pongo. And we also need two new defenders. Hyypia will continue to cost us points until he is replaced.

Do not wish Heskey apon us again!

He was one of our best players in the treble season, but since then contributed little. He has the ability but cant maintain his confidence for long enough to become a regular goalscorer. Martin O'Neill couldn't get him to score and neither can Steve Bruce.

If you watched the game today you would see what I mean. 80% of the time he plays with his back to the oppositions goal. He was involved today winning a lot of possession but he would never just turn and run or shoot at goal. Why? Because he has no belief in himself as a goalscorer. I always hoped he would turn it around with Liverpool, he had so much potential but he NEVER will.

I am not trying to say that I want Heskey back. I do not. But he would have played better with Benitez as manager. That is what I am trying to say. We need a new striker and I trust Benitez to find one in January.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:40 pm

I agree. Heskey was poor today, he had plenty of chances but like always he couldn't score.

Anyways, Cisse might be out for the season, nothing official has been said as Benitez is waiting on X-Rays and the call from the hospital.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:45 pm

A.B. wrote:I agree. Heskey was poor today, he had plenty of chances but like always he couldn't score.

Anyways, Cisse might be out for the season, nothing official has been said as Benitez is waiting on X-Rays and the call from the hospital.

Why wait for the x ray? Fair enough the x-ray will give the doctors more info. But doctor or not, we can all diagnose a leg in two parts. That is called a broken leg.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:49 pm

The doctor can tell him how bad it is and how long he will be out. In order for the doctor to know that he needs an x-ray.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion