The liverpool heroes - That are hardly mentioned.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:14 am

With the whole Torres transfer, all we have had to look at is the way in which he left. He left a nasty taste, to be succint. We also look at Mascherano, and he classes himself as an important player who deserves respect.

Then we look at Babel, ok could have been great, he wasnt, but he left in good taste. He gave himself a good send off with his kind words.

Also we look at Sami Hyypia, if Torres and Mascherano class themself as important players, what category does Hyypia fit into? Immense? I would say so.

So lets look at the players who are hardly mentioned, who had a bigger impact on the club than what Mascherano and Torres did.

First up, Stephane Henchoz. His name is hardly ever mentioned during the Houillier years. We needed to strengthen our defence. We signed Hyypia, who as we all know is considered a legend, but what about Henchoz? He was also a brilliant signing who contributed immensely. He proved to be a brilliant signing who helped us to win trophy's.

Also Sander Westerveld. Ok, in all fairness we had suffered David James, but again, what a brilliant signing he was. Never mentioned, when he arrived he gave us something we had not seen for a long time, a decent goalkeeper !

So thats two, rather than ruin my point of heroes who played an important part in our progress I will leave the rest of the unsung to you, who for you, played a part who is never mentioned?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:05 am

Xabi, I might as well be first to say his name. Absolute class act and immense at his job on the field. After the whole Rafa saga he still handled his work like a true professional and proved to the fans of LFC he was willing to fight for us in circumstances he wasn't necessarily happy with. I for one love this guy and would welcome him back with open arms. Have you ever seen a guy who could pass the ball like him, I remember Gerrard saying 'he's the best passer of the ball I've ever seen'. Truly sims him up and the manner in which he left the club was dignified.

I think I speak on behalf of the majority of Liverpool fans when I say, Xabi, you are a ture professional and a credit to the Liverpool shirt. You ever want to come back, say the words and I/we will welcome you with open arms. YNWA

Kharhaz - it's a nice touch to recognise those players who did us great service over the years. Given the amount ot pessimism regarding the modern day footballer and loyalty towards clubs I think the timing to acknowlegde such professionals is quite apt :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Thewaykokid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:48 am

Has to be Dirk Kuyt for me personally, I know he's had his fair share of criticism over the years, but his devotion and work for the club both on and off the pitch is an inspiration. Being from Australia, some people criticise how one football club located thousands of miles away can mean so much to me, and its the players like Dirk Kuyt, Sami Hypia, and Alonso who aren't from Liverpool, but clearly have a special connection to the club and the city that i dunno make me feel less crazy :D
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:38 am

I thought Westerveld was an average keeper at best and remember him making too many howlers. Xabi should be remembered for his professionalism and class. For some reason Keegan is not given the legend status of say Kenny or Barnes but he was a great player for us and why I became a Liverpool supporter when I was young, maybe because he left in his prime.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:43 am

Babel, Smicer, Hyyia, Henchoz, Risse, Berger.. Mcateer.. players who wanted to play for us.. true players, even Biscan

(modern heroes of course)
Last edited by dawson99 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:51 am

My childhood heroes are Clement, R Kennedy & Keegan but Keegan was never regard as true LFC hero because he left us after winning the European Cup..modern day heroes for me are Hyypia, Hamann and Xabi..true professionals!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 am

Feck, missed out Hamman!!!

Growing up for me it was John Barnes, Rob Jones, Wrighty, that kinda era
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 am

What about Steve Finnan? unsung hero for us and gave his best and never complained. He was one of the players in the season we had most clean sheets and part of the team that won  the champions league and FA Cup. A true hero and I will never forget his service along with the others that have been stated on this thread.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:35 am

Who to forget Luis Garcia? Without him would #5 be possible? Hero for me and his thank you letter addressed to the fans when he left showed that he truly loved the club.

Dudek, even though he was mistake waiting to happen, without his champions league heroics we wouldn't have celebrated #5. He was also a true professional and never sulked, just cr@p :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Dirk for me is on the absolute top on that list. Never complains and works hard and he has had lots of fans against him in the beginning. Even they have gradually been won over. In Holland they call him Mr.Duracell and it desribes really good. You never hear them complain about his "limited" technical abillities etc.

Finnan, Hyppia, Hamman I also rate very highly.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby mrt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Agree about Henchoz.  When he and Sami arrived, Henchoz was injured leaving leaving Sami to play with Matteo or Carra.  It was only when Henchoz and Hyypia came together that the defence became reliable.  Best partnership since the good old days.
mrt

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Djimi Traore.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Sean Dundee :p

On a more serious note... I would offer Ray Houghton
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:35 pm

If its good players that never really got the preps they deserved Id second Stevie Finnan, as well as Arbeloa, the fact that we spent £18m to make our right back position weaker is still one of Rafas most facepalmable moments, in hindsight Im starting to believe he was trying to purposely waste H&Gs money, its the only rational way I can explain that kind of money for Glen Johnson :p
burjennio

Postby supersub » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:53 pm

burjennio wrote:Im starting to believe he was trying to purposely waste H&Gs money, its the only rational way I can explain that kind of money for Glen Johnson :p

thought crossed my mind too!!! :laugh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion