The fullback situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:24 am

Toffeehater wrote:Glen Johnsen is a chelsea reject , he was never good enough for them why us? He's a average fullback , likes to go forward and average at defending , i'd still take arbeloa over him . I still can believe we sold finnan who was twice the player arbeloa is

For a start, its Johnson. Not Johnsen, for a second, how you can sit there and call him average, especially in comparrison to what we have is beyond me. He's strong, quick, good on the ball and can actually over lap and supply a cross or pass. The lads a very good player and with the exception of Bosingwa and Richards is easily as good if not better than anything else in his position, by a good distance.

He's be a massive improvement on Arbeloa who is distinctly average.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:43 am

Scottbot wrote:Our Achilles Heel and the biggest difference between us and our rivals at the top of the table.

Aurelio - The best of a pretty average bunch for me. He got himself injured again the other day didn't he? He will be all the better (if he can stay fit) if Riera continues to improve on the very encouraging start he has made to his Anfield career.

Arbeloa - Solid enough defensively but he's a crab with the ball at his feet (althought you can't knock the assist on Sunday) and that is polarized by the fact he has Kuyt playing in front of him.

Dossena - I can't really believe he is a £7 million player.

Insua - I really like this kid. He's raw but he tenacious (a typical Argie), strong in the tackle and showed flashes going forward in the limited playing time he got in the 1st team at the back end of last year. I hope he gets a few chances this year.

I'd love Gareth Bale and got a bit excited to see a few stories linking us to the player last month.

I still think Danny Agger would do a better job at Left Back than any of the left-backs we have at the club and ditto for Steve Finnan at Right Back.

Agreed
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:54 pm

The one thing i think about Insua is he has looked very dodgy defending when i have seen him play in first team pre season and for ressies, looks very good going forward but defensively im not sure about him . I like young darby , he looks very good defensively and solid going forward and think he could well be very good for us at right .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:40 pm

I think I stated in this forum I rated Dossena after watching him for Udinese ,I now retract that foolish statement,I could never have envisaged how totally inept his game would prove to be ,the man has no positional sense whatsoever ,if he beds in and proves me wrong then I will hold my hands aloft, but right now he is a clearly visible chink in our armour .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:41 pm

GYBS wrote:I like young darby , he looks very good defensively and solid going forward and think he could well be very good for us at right .

I thought he looked solid in pre-season but he looks like he may well develop into an Arbeloa type player and I think most of us agree that it isn't what we need if we're gonna challenge for the big trophies every year.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Arbeloa is much better than most people think in my opinion. Often when things go apeshit it's on the other wing and like at City it was Aurelio that lost the ball when we where going in the other direction that caused the first goal. Arbeloa was just unlucky that Ireland had a wonder hit.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Scottbot wrote:
GYBS wrote:I like young darby , he looks very good defensively and solid going forward and think he could well be very good for us at right .

I thought he looked solid in pre-season but he looks like he may well develop into an Arbeloa type player and I think most of us agree that it isn't what we need if we're gonna challenge for the big trophies every year.

Darby's future at the club IMO will be to go on loan in the championship for a 1-2 seasons and then come back and serve as 2nd choice right back and will take up a home grown player CL slot. This is also assuming that in 3 years time we have a right back that is better than Arbeloa and Degen combined and as such no longer require their services.
JoeTerp

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:Glen Johnsen is a chelsea reject , he was never good enough for them why us? He's a average fullback , likes to go forward and average at defending , i'd still take arbeloa over him . I still can believe we sold finnan who was twice the player arbeloa is

For a start, its Johnson. Not Johnsen, for a second, how you can sit there and call him average, especially in comparrison to what we have is beyond me. He's strong, quick, good on the ball and can actually over lap and supply a cross or pass. The lads a very good player and with the exception of Bosingwa and Richards is easily as good if not better than anything else in his position, by a good distance.

:laugh:

Gotta hand it to you Stu , despite nailing Dean Ashton and Robert Earnshaw as dead cert improvements to  LFC you still have the nuts to come in here and give spelling lessons and give it large with your "knowledge" of the game .

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

F'uck off lad,  :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Fo Dne wrote:

HE got raped by city a few weeks ago , before you start to go it was a one time thing , i still think he's average , its laughable as i think players like sagna , even toure playing at right back are better than johnson . Like i said , he's good going forward , no arguments there but it's he's defending which worries me , but i can't see him moving here .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yooj Bigullz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:11 pm

I think Bale will end up in midfield at some point. I'm not convinced he can defend very well but looks good going forward. I've seen a couple of right backs mentioned, Sagna is better than anyone mentioned so far imo
Yooj Bigullz

Postby HighasaKUYT » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:14 pm

arbeloa is arsee, aurelio is arsee most of the time, riise was arrse, finnan was good til he got old, not sure about dossena yet, got a big meaty head like. why cant rafa spot a good full back shud hav got alves
HighasaKUYT

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 pm

HighasaKUYT wrote:arbeloa is arsee, aurelio is arsee most of the time, riise was arrse, finnan was good til he got old, not sure about dossena yet, got a big meaty head like. why cant rafa spot a good full back shud hav got alves

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

God help us all, is this fella sayin' we should've signed a jar of marmite ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:20 pm

no idea but he sent me a pm with a load of numbers in it ??????
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Black Magic , or maybe the numbers for the lottery :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:23 pm

feck nose mate . confused me ???
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion