The fullback situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:11 pm

stmichael wrote:On a side note, I really hope Insua doesn't just fade out of the picture. Even with the 7 subs rule the reserves aren't getting much playing time :(

i think the reason for that is we haven't been comfortable enough in a game to bring them on.

not once this season have we been clear by more than 2 goals (with the exception of 2 minutes against PSV)

Obviously the young lads can still do an adequate job... but if we were to do what chelsea did to portsmouth and be 3-0 up at half time... arsenal - porto was 3-0 after 48 minutes, arsenal - newcastle 3-0 after 59 minutes... ... well you catch my drift...

3-0 up (or better) gives you that extra cushion to rest players and/or bring on the young ones... we just haven't had that cushion yet. Granted you can do this at 2-0, but it only takes one dodgy refereeing decision to swing the balance to 2-1

anyway, back to topic...  :D
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:14 pm

so our back four would consist of a 3 centre back and a striker???

The problem with our full backs in my opinon, is that they do not have the class and skill in the attacking sense and lack ability, knowledge in the defensive area, AT THE MOMENT.

If we had kuyt and carragher we would  have no attacking option in terms of speed / over lapping / crossing ability and with kuyt you get no defensive knowledge, well not of the standard we require. also I feel carragher must play in the centre as a presence for the team as both Skrtle and definately Agger aren't there just yet.

I think the lads that are in there atm are doing a good job, i agree they are not liverpool quality atm but we have to give people time... and if they cannot improve rafa will get rid... he doesn't keep hold of his mistake buys as we have seen with voronin and others... dont start talkin to me about not selling kuyt cos thats a whole other story lol
Ben1988

Postby Ben1988 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:15 pm

taff wrote:
stmichael wrote:On a side note, I really hope Insua doesn't just fade out of the picture. Even with the 7 subs rule the reserves aren't getting much playing time :(

Which debate shall we have. Rafa not picking the strongest team or not bringing youngsters through

well said
Ben1988

Postby stmichael » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:15 pm

taff wrote:

Which debate shall we have. Rafa not picking the strongest team or not bringing youngsters through

My point is, Rafa has picked both Agger and Hyypia as subs in a couple of league games so far this season. Skrtel's injury means that one of them will be elevated to the first team which also means there's a spot on the bench up for grabs.
It'll be interesting to see who Benitez will consistently pick.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:24 pm

Ben1988 wrote:so our back four would consist of a 3 centre back and a striker???

The problem with our full backs in my opinon, is that they do not have the class and skill in the attacking sense and lack ability, knowledge in the defensive area, AT THE MOMENT.

If we had kuyt and carragher we would  have no attacking option in terms of speed / over lapping / crossing ability and with kuyt you get no defensive knowledge, well not of the standard we require. also I feel carragher must play in the centre as a presence for the team as both Skrtle and definately Agger aren't there just yet.

I think the lads that are in there atm are doing a good job, i agree they are not liverpool quality atm but we have to give people time... and if they cannot improve rafa will get rid... he doesn't keep hold of his mistake buys as we have seen with voronin and others... dont start talkin to me about not selling kuyt cos thats a whole other story lol

My defensive selection was meant to accentuate the problem we have with our full backs...... it was never meant as a solution  :D

i.e. they are so bad that playing Kuyt and Carra there couldn't be much worse.  :p
account deleted by request

Postby taff » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:31 pm

stmichael wrote:
taff wrote:

My point is, Rafa has picked both Agger and Hyypia as subs in a couple of league games so far this season. Skrtel's injury means that one of them will be elevated to the first team which also means there's a spot on the bench up for grabs.

Your point as far as I can tell was regarding Insua.  Now I see him as being behind Dossena and Aurelio but coming through in the league cup etc.  I want to see the lad break through but not at the expense of our current league form
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm going to give dossena the benefit of the doubt for now , he looks good going forward and can pick out a man in the box , his crosses are dangerous . The right back , arbeloa has done a decent job there , he's decent going forward but poor at defending , like i said before , if we have the money , we should sign rafinha , who is a good dribbler , can defend well , pass and is pacey . Papers linking us with bale as well from spurs
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:22 pm

Where did you steel that one from St Micheal?

Bale would be an excellent signing. As would Glenn Johnson on the right. Our full backs (more so the right back) are a really worry.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:08 pm

stmichael wrote:
taff wrote:

Insua's progress seems to have plateaued a bit. Sometimes I feel that he is putting in worse and worse performances in the reserve games instead of becoming dominant to the point where it is silly that he is even playing in them which is what I hoped would happen.  We may have to wait for Butchman to come through, but he does look very talented.  Wonder how Threlfall is doing on his loan spell, haven't heard a word about him since Rafa took him on that Asian tour 15 months ago.
JoeTerp

Postby Effes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:44 pm

I agree about Glen Johnson, a very decent right back.

I only saw this fella twices, but Morel (Paraguay/Boca Juniors) looked brilliant a few weeks ago.

It makes you wonder though about Dossena, who the feck recommended him?
I think he fall onto Rafa's hitlist as fast as Kromkamp and Josemi!
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:14 pm

Effes wrote:I agree about Glen Johnson, a very decent right back.

I only saw this fella twices, but Morel (Paraguay/Boca Juniors) looked brilliant a few weeks ago.

It makes you wonder though about Dossena, who the feck recommended him?
I think he fall onto Rafa's hitlist as fast as Kromkamp and Josemi!

Bale and Johnson would both be excellent signings.

I doubt it would happen on both accounts though as Rafa seems to love Arbeloa and we've recently signed the "wonderful" Dossena.

If I'm honest, I can't quite believe how bad Dossena actually is. I had reasonable hopes for him and put a bit of trust in Rafa's judgement. Should have known better!
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 am

Dossena hasnt been great but i dont think he`s been that bad either, he`s definitely underperforming though. Ive seen him play a few games in Italy and he had more about him, sharper and he seemed to quite like (and was good at) hitting diagonal balls out to the right wing.
Maybe he doesnt bother because he knows theyed only hit dirk on the ar$e and go out.

That said if Aurelio can stay fit i think he`s capable enough there, if i had to pick weak side though i`d say right all day long.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:08 am

Our Achilles Heel and the biggest difference between us and our rivals at the top of the table.

Aurelio - The best of a pretty average bunch for me. He got himself injured again the other day didn't he? He will be all the better (if he can stay fit) if Riera continues to improve on the very encouraging start he has made to his Anfield career.

Arbeloa - Solid enough defensively but he's a crab with the ball at his feet (althought you can't knock the assist on Sunday) and that is polarized by the fact he has Kuyt playing in front of him.

Dossena - I can't really believe he is a £7 million player.

Insua - I really like this kid. He's raw but he tenacious (a typical Argie), strong in the tackle and showed flashes going forward in the limited playing time he got in the 1st team at the back end of last year. I hope he gets a few chances this year.

I'd love Gareth Bale and got a bit excited to see a few stories linking us to the player last month.

I still think Danny Agger would do a better job at Left Back than any of the left-backs we have at the club and ditto for Steve Finnan at Right Back.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:48 am

Fo Dne wrote:Where did you steel that one from St Micheal?

Bale would be an excellent signing. As would Glenn Johnson on the right. Our full backs (more so the right back) are a really worry.

Glen Johnsen is a chelsea reject , he was never good enough for them why us? He's a average fullback , likes to go forward and average at defending , i'd still take arbeloa over him . I still can believe we sold finnan who was twice the player arbeloa is
Last edited by Toffeehater on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:00 am

Effes wrote:It makes you wonder though about Dossena, who the feck recommended him?

It's a decent point.

It also raises eyebrows the fact that for the last couple of games he's been playing left back for the Italian national team. Whether that's because Zambrotta and Grosso are injured I'm not sure. However if Lippi is seeing something in the lad then he must have something.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion