The bright side. - Its there if you look.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:51 pm

Touch unlucky, scrappy game could've gone either way. Thought we probably shaded it on balance. Fair play to them though, a well organized hard working unit who are very hard to beat. You can see why they are where they are in the league, its not a fluke. Couple of very very shrewd signings are doing the biz the elevate them over the mediocre. Martyn in goal, stolen for a song and Cahill in midfield doing the attacking box to box bit very well.
As for us? well we are what we are. An average team with our current personel. Mellor up front? not for me. Diao in midfield? not for me. Kirkland in goal? I'm starting to have my doubts. This is why beating Arsenal and Olympiacos were such magnificent efforts, we were definately playing above our station.
FWIW, I thought we did OK today. Certainly deserved at least a point but there you go. We've now played all the top six away apart from Arsenal who we've had at home. Our time will come when our quality players come back and we have aquired a couple more. My only quibble with Rafa on the selection front is that he doesn't show enough faith in Alonso. I felt the introduction of Diao was playing into Evertons hands somewhat. When you play against a pure endeavour team it seems a bit daft to try and beat them at their own game, far better to make the pitch big and let the class tell.
On the positives, I thought Kewell had a good game. No really I did. Hyppia had his best game for ages and Carra just gets better and better. One or two aren't good enough but then we knew that anyway. Oh and also, Earnshaw didn't score so you don't have to endure my childish attempts at humour.
It's ok lads and Lyndsies, we HAVE got the right manager who is working wonders. We are in the semis of the tescos Dixons cup or whatever its called, we're in the next stage of the Champions League and we are Liverpool. Walk on.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

We are throwing away too many points against mediocre opposition. Villa last week, Everton this week.
It is more than bad-luck, there are still problem's.
It may be lack of team work, it may be the skill level of one or two players and it may even be lack of bottle with a player or two.
Kewell has improved and contributes more with each game, Josemi is cratering, Risse has reached a plataeu.
Nunez is short of something, Diao is a disaster and Kirkland is not improving, indeed he seems to be losing confidence.
I am concerned, I think the time is right to be bold and go for some stategic strengthening in key areas.
Rafa, must know what his plan is by now and where the waeknesses are in the current squad.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:11 pm

pretty disappointing but the bottom line is that we need a proven striker, we have to forget Cisse now. I'm not taking anything from them but if we have Mellor and Pongolle playing every game, we will not score enough in some games and that means we will loose some games. If we had Baros and Cisse we would have won. We need a striker, a decent centreback and few replacements. Hopefully our second half of the season will be a far more better for us. I think that Josemi should be a bench player for us.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:14 pm

For the meantime Benitez will use the strikers available to him; Baros,Pongolle and Mellor. Beggars can't choose.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Gareth G » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:44 pm

Yeah, Pongolle cant score much playing in right midfield. I think hes playing superb as of now though and deserves more games. Hes going to be a class act in my opinion - if we can hold onto him. I also think hes the type of player who needs a bit more freedom to run about, he shouldnt be played were hes going to be stuck in one position, i.e. in right midfield!

I think things will straighten out, it needs to. Consistancy is our main problem and thats only going to come if Rafa plays his cards right and installs confidence into players.

Nunez for me isnt going to cut it now judging by the few games hes played. Im definitely with bigmick on this one now, people have said its too early but just looking at him he seems to lack something...its almost as if hes home sick or something and just doesnt want to be here, he doesnt get himself involved too much into games and wastes most of his time on the ball by hitting it way too far in front of him...pretty stupid for somebody with not much pace.

In Josemi i see nothing better than Finnan, one step back if you ask me. Finnan is for more able in all departments bar aggression in my opinion. But at the same time, Josemi doesnt have complete stinkers, he does do ok when you consider the lack of help from his partnering right midfielder. Rafa should maybe try Finnan at midfield with Josemi behind him for a few games as Finnan will help more defensively than Nunez ever will.

Kewell is looking slightly better with every game, another couple of goals wont do him any harm and will help him find his confidence, he showed good signs of skill today.

Between the sticks i think its time for a recall for Jerzy, hes showed very good keeping skills in the recent cup games and looks more confident.

Hopefully these are just some small hurdles though and we will over come them with not much bother.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:51 pm

Hopefully Benni picks up all this information
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:53 pm

Benitez knows all this Chiggs. He said that he was going to use every player he has.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:05 pm

The bright side is imagine your an evertonain watching there pathetic football week in week out :laugh: .
They are f@kin ******.
thats not footie they play its heavy handed tactics and stopping, the beautiful game, thats what they do.
What would you prefer?
watching them?
or watching us in lovely flowing passing football from the likes of Gerrard and alonso, Hamann and attacking the opitition :;):
I know whcih one Id choose any day of the week :cool:
We didnt play our best today, but they have had a week off and they where rubbish like they are every week just getting a run of luck at the mo, but it will stop sooner than they think :;):
And manure wont go 3rd tomorrow :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:08 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:The bright side is imagine your an evertonain watching there pathetic football week in week out :laugh: .
They are f@kin ******.
thats not footie they play its heavy handed tactics and stopping, the beautiful game, thats what they do.
What would you prefer?
watching them?
or watching us in lovely flowing passing football from the likes of Gerrard and alonso, Hamann and attacking the opitition :;):
I know whcih one Id choose any day of the week :cool:
We didnt play our best today, but they have had a week off and they where rubbish like they are every week just getting a run of luck at the mo, but it will stop sooner than they think :;):
And manure wont go 3rd tomorrow :laugh:

They don't play tommrow  :D
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:33 pm

:D So they wont be 3rd tomorrow then will they :laugh:
monday then smart @rse :p
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:59 pm

I just got this email from a mate of mine thought yous would like to see :laugh:

allright Lynds
What about them dirty smelly slimy ****** rob the eyes
out of your head steal ya knickers off the line touch
ya Ma up give ya sister one on the sly pick ya pockets
cash ya giro behind ya back wearing second hand
clothes ans takin smack in ya bog ******.I dont like
them much do you
Dave.

:laugh:  :D  :laugh: He luvs em really

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Macca » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:24 pm

I went the game today and sat in the upper gladys stand with all the blue noses, it was a good job i didnt wear the liverpool shirt! and I have to say its took me til about 8 o clock to get out of my pis*ed off mood ive been in all day

I didnt think liverpool had the best of games today (obviously), i think rafa could have picked a stronger starting 11 i mean its a derby you need your best players out there, he keeps saying hes only concentraing on the next game well surely he should have been thinking more about todays game rather than saving players for the pompey game
Macca

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:34 am

hard to see na upside today, but at leat we beat Olympiakos on Wedneday, otherwise their would be severe depression around here.

12 points behind Everton. :angry:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:38 am

12 points behind Everton isn't the end of the world.  It's still December, the season is far from over. 

A bit of optimism please people.  Yeah, it's been a bad day, but it's a small setback.  4 out of the next 5 games are at Anfield.  I've got a good feeling about it.
jonnymac1979

Postby kenco » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:43 am

we were beaten by a poor side, it's happened far to often this season. it's no use making any more excuses, we are not good enough by along way to challange average teams and talk of us challenging for the championship are a joke. no wonder gerrard want's out, you can't really blame him!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion