Testing times ahead

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:29 pm

andy_g wrote:there is no doubt that next season will be an improvement on this one. benitez will have worked with the squad more, i imagine we'll have a couple more decent signings, the squad should be back to full strength.

but to just dismiss this season as pretty much over is rubbish. while anyone will admit that 1st or 2nd in the league are beyond us there is no reason why we shouldn't aim for third. we should also go all out to win the league cup AND get to the next stage of the CL. plenty to play for. we're only just over half-way through remember. another run of 3 or 4 wins will change the tune of a number of doubters and killjoys.

im not saying to dismiss this season, im just saying that this year was never going to be a succesful one and that we shouldnt judge how this new look liverpool will be in future based on this seasons performances. This year is all about rebuilding, the manager is starting from scratch so instant success is very unlikley. My point was that next i beleive we will be more of a threat.

In my opinion rafa has made a positive start to his reign as manager and i beleive big things can happen in future under his guidance.

Anyway this season we could end up with a cup and 4th place and that would be good start to kick of Benitez's liverpool career.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:36 pm

I have thought that Roy Keane is a better player than Gerrard for a good while and I think it was shown on Saturday, I thought if I said that I'd be called a manure fan in disguise or its because I'm Irish (even though Keane walked out on us, ******).

SG also played poorly at the Euro championships. I have my doubts about him being world class, he doesn't keep possession.  still probably our best player though.

I don't think his sale would be devastating if it was spent wisely.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:41 pm

keane played better than gerrard last saturday, but he is no longer the better player, keanes best days are long gone. Sure gerrard has his faults, but for me he is one the top central midfielders in the world, he has everything in his locker, he didnt paly well the other day but how often can yoou say that about gerrard? hardly ever
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:49 pm

Some great articles here fellas.
I've been as frustrated as most on here with how this season has panned out for us so far - it really has been one step forward - two steps back
But honestly lads - if someone was to say to me before the season started and Rafa was just coming in - "your gonna be stuttering through most of the season, not quite got the balance quite right just yet - but by the end of January - your in the in the quarter Final of the CL, the Semi Final of the Mickey Mouse Cup - and 5th in the league, but still flattering to deceive"
I for one would have bitten there f**ken hand off
That's not to say my standards are lower now in terms of what I'm happy for the team to achieve - I'm old enough to remember when we last won the league.
But the bottom line is - Rafa has a massive job on his hands and although he hasn't got everything right - overall I've been very impressed

I also think we've had some terrible luck this season, with injuries, Referees & some of the games we've played, were maybe we deserved something.  When the injuries have taken there toll - the players we've asked to come in and do a job have been ok - but not in comparison to Chelski, Arsenal and the Scum
But Rafa is still building and the money had dried up.

I honestly don't think it's our time yet - but at least I can now see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Our time will be soon - and when it comes - it will taste even sweeter because of all the frustrations and set backs we've had to endure as a club.

We belong at the top and I honestly think Rafa is the man to lead us there.

WALK ON
SouthernScouser

Postby 116-1105728556 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:14 pm

Excellent post St Mike and its good that we can raise the concerns we have regarding some of Raf decisions and discuss them in an adult way.

I think it would help if he explained some of the decisions we have difficulty with but guess no other manager does this.

I've put down some of these mistakes to cultural issues, can you really put Costa del Sol into Liverpool or if you do it may tiake some time for the embedment to take place.
116-1105728556

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:20 pm

SouthernScouser wrote:Some great articles here fellas.
I've been as frustrated as most on here with how this season has panned out for us so far - it really has been one step forward - two steps back
But honestly lads - if someone was to say to me before the season started and Rafa was just coming in - "your gonna be stuttering through most of the season, not quite got the balance quite right just yet - but by the end of January - your in the in the quarter Final of the CL, the Semi Final of the Mickey Mouse Cup - and 5th in the league, but still flattering to deceive"
I for one would have bitten there f**ken hand off
That's not to say my standards are lower now in terms of what I'm happy for the team to achieve - I'm old enough to remember when we last won the league.
But the bottom line is - Rafa has a massive job on his hands and although he hasn't got everything right - overall I've been very impressed

I also think we've had some terrible luck this season, with injuries, Referees & some of the games we've played, were maybe we deserved something.  When the injuries have taken there toll - the players we've asked to come in and do a job have been ok - but not in comparison to Chelski, Arsenal and the Scum
But Rafa is still building and the money had dried up.

I honestly don't think it's our time yet - but at least I can now see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Our time will be soon - and when it comes - it will taste even sweeter because of all the frustrations and set backs we've had to endure as a club.

We belong at the top and I honestly think Rafa is the man to lead us there.

WALK ON

i know your not lowering your standards, you are just being realistic

if only all fans on this board were like this
109-1105722616

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:30 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:im not saying to dismiss this season, im just saying that this year was never going to be a succesful one and that we shouldnt judge how this new look liverpool will be in future based on this seasons performances. This year is all about rebuilding, the manager is starting from scratch so instant success is very unlikley. My point was that next i beleive we will be more of a threat.

In my opinion rafa has made a positive start to his reign as manager and i beleive big things can happen in future under his guidance.

Anyway this season we could end up with a cup and 4th place and that would be good start to kick of Benitez's liverpool career.

amen to that
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:33 pm

stmichael wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:im not saying to dismiss this season, im just saying that this year was never going to be a succesful one and that we shouldnt judge how this new look liverpool will be in future based on this seasons performances. This year is all about rebuilding, the manager is starting from scratch so instant success is very unlikley. My point was that next i beleive we will be more of a threat.

amen to that

i fcukning hope so
109-1105722616

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion