Huge 10 games coming up - Testing times ahead

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:01 am

Poolinc. wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
ynwa wrote:...better uses his head and keep the same team but change it a bit

Huh?

It's obvious...the same, only different!  ???

:D
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:33 am

Benitez said something interesting the other day. He said that we could beat Chelsea but lose the following games or vice versa. It is going to be a difficult time but to be the best you got to beat the best. This will test how much we've progressed and how serious we are about improving even more than we have.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:56 am

In terms of the league, we've certainly advanced greatly since last season and in the goalkeeping, defence and midfield departments, I feel we are strong.

But I can't help feeling that our striker situation is going to cost us. I think we'll finish third this season. Crouch has given us options this season. Cisse can run, but can do little else and needs to be sold. Morientes has the talent but I feel it's just not going to happen for him in the Premiership. Fowler is another option but we need long term replacements. I think two predatory strikers are needed. We need finishers.

If we deal with the striker problem in the Summer, we can get second place next season. It's steady progress. Real authentic progress. Not the "Find A Billionaire. Buy Everyone. Artifically Gain Success And Call It Greatness" approach that Chelsea have taken.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:39 am

good post stinger - and it is a great feeling to be talking about winning the big titles realistically, instead of being just desperate to finish in the CL places in the league and hoping to get a good result against Utd every now and then. We've lived on those mediocre aspirations for too long now. We have an excellent chance to go back to greatness, whilst its difficult to see either the Mancs or Arsenal winning the league again for a long time.  Chelsea aren't going to win the league 4 or 5 times in a row, and will crash & burn when Abramovich gets bored, which will happen eventually - maybe not this year or next, but sooner rather than later. Only Liverpool will be ready to take over. Will we prove it in the next 10 games? - maybe, maybe not, but it is going to happen!
neilE

Postby Robbie Fowler is Back » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:55 am

My honest opinion is for the next few games:

Chelsea Away Tomorrow (League):    Draw.

Arsenal Home (League):  Win

Man Utd Home (FA Cup):  Win or Draw.

Benfica Away (ECL):  Draw or Win.

Arsenal away (League):  Lose/ Draw.

Benfica Home (ECL)  : Win.
Robbie Fowler is Back

Postby Robbie Fowler is Back » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:57 am

redmikey wrote:If we win tomorrow and the game in hand we will be 9 point behind . that might put the pressure on chelski abit.

I don't honestly think we will catch them but it would be nice to run them in close.

which would reflect  the change in LFC this year

will we? ???

we ARE 18 POINTS BEHIND TONIGHT!
Robbie Fowler is Back

Postby Robbie Fowler is Back » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:59 am

A.B. wrote:Benitez said something interesting the other day. He said that we could beat Chelsea but lose the following games or vice versa.

Well if Rafa did actually say that, then he himself is not even sure of how good we really are!.

You wouldn't here maureen saying that, would you?

Title winning mentallity is what we need. I often feel Rafa is too respectful of the opposition.
Robbie Fowler is Back

Postby neil » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:18 am

I am a little concerned that the team has been a little tired lately and this set of fixtures has come at the wrong time. Hope I'm wrong but we are gonna lose a bit of ground/optomism over the next week or so, what I suggest is people oughta remember we are still on an upward curve and Benitez will get us there eventually.
YNWA
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:46 am

Robbie Fowler is Back wrote:
redmikey wrote:If we win tomorrow and the game in hand we will be 9 point behind . that might put the pressure on chelski abit.

I don't honestly think we will catch them but it would be nice to run them in close.

which would reflect  the change in LFC this year

will we? ???

we ARE 18 POINTS BEHIND TONIGHT!

I know what he means:

18 points behind, beat Chelsea, and the gap is 15.
Win our 2 games in hand (people think its an automatic win) = 6 points, which means that the gap is closed to 9 points.
He did say if we win tonight, and our games in hand.
Last edited by el_stinger on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:55 am

A.B. wrote:Benitez said something interesting the other day. He said that we could beat Chelsea but lose the following games or vice versa.

Well if Rafa did actually say that, then he himself is not even sure of how good we really are!.

Title winning mentallity is what we need. I often feel Rafa is too respectful of the opposition.

Err Chelsea are in a better position than we are. They have more than enough quality players to bounce back from a defeat [i.e. against Man Utd]

He knows how good we are, because he trains with the players every fecking day.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby GOAT » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:33 am

well its about time we got a win against one of the big teams and theres no better than chelsea so we have to go all out to get an excellent result in the match today. if we do it could set us off on a good run of form for the upcoming run of tough matches. im very excited about todays match and i feel we are going to like the result
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:40 am

if we do it could set us off on a good run of form for the upcoming run of tough matches. im very excited about todays match and i feel we are going to like the result

Or it could do the opposite. Things are never for certain in footie.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Kukilon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:06 am

That is what everyone loves about Rafa. He will not talk :censored: in the press about the opposition etc.

He is a gentleman.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby TheoRacle » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:45 am

Yep its daunting alright, nine games to go now in the next 34 days. Roughly 1 game every 4 days!

I was quite surprised when I realised that we actually play six of those games against the same three teams... Arsenal twice, Charlton twice and Benfica twice.  The nine are rounded out with a journey to Wigan and the vists to Anfield of both Manchester sides.

This will be a massive test for us and has the potential to upset the apple cart in all three comps.

Now is not the time to have a dip in form....    :lookaround
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:28 am

how many matches is reina banned for will he miss the fa cup v manure
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion