STEWART DOWNING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Fowler_E7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 pm wrote:Caroll and Downing bought for a combined £55mil, both sold to West Ham for £23mil, pathetic and whoever authorised that sort of spending deserves to be sent to prison for misuse of funds.

with the way FSG seem to run a tight ship id find it hard to believe they didnt have the final say on those transfers  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Comolli was the one in charge of the money - he was given the authority to spend as he wished it appeared. Because of what Comolli spent the owners have got scared to spend I think
Benny The Noon

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm wrote:Comolli was the one in charge of the money - he was given the authority to spend as he wished it appeared. Because of what Comolli spent the owners have got scared to spend I think

After those disasters i can hardly blame them, Carroll, Downing and Henderson for £71 million, thats gotta be some of the worst transfer business in the history of football, if not the worst.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Henderson a disaster ? Very harsh

And a fair number of clubs have had signings that didnt work out - we over paid yes but that should mean we should never spend again all because of 2 signings that didnt work out for various reasons.

It won't be that last transfer that doesn't work out.
Benny The Noon

Postby devaney » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:57 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rpool.html

So West Ham is going to give Downing the arena to display his potential to get back into the England side. Hmmmmmmm !!!!

Bye bye Stewie.................
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am

Let's see if Rodgers is really as good as he thinks he is and is able to bring in a better player than Downing. If he brings in another Aspas or Aspas is the replacement, then we havn't improved one bit and we're just taking another massive money loss.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:31 am

damjan193 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am wrote:Let's see if Rodgers is really as good as he thinks he is and is able to bring in a better player than Downing. If he brings in another Aspas or Aspas is the replacement, then we havn't improved one bit and we're just taking another massive money loss.

Lets hope we learned from last season ( doubtful ) and whilst the celebrations commence from the select I will worry that come Jan when young Sterling and Ibe start to look drained ( just like last season ) we have no one to come into the team to freshen it up. But that won't matter as long as the expensive Kenny signing has gone and all those wages are saved for a rainy day

And certainly makes the decision to play him sat just plain stupid
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:39 am

NEVER Liverpool material.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am

Benny The Noon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:31 am wrote:
damjan193 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am wrote:Let's see if Rodgers is really as good as he thinks he is and is able to bring in a better player than Downing. If he brings in another Aspas or Aspas is the replacement, then we havn't improved one bit and we're just taking another massive money loss.

Lets hope we learned from last season ( doubtful ) and whilst the celebrations commence from the select I will worry that come Jan when young Sterling and Ibe start to look drained ( just like last season ) we have no one to come into the team to freshen it up. But that won't matter as long as the expensive Kenny signing has gone and all those wages are saved for a rainy day

Benny it's not about who signed him, he was just plain sh!te for us.

I read a funny tweet on twitter last night from Sky sports news that was a joke but actually summed him up perfectly. Here it is....

Breaking : Stewart Downing his failed his medical after he stopped running on the treadmill, turned around and looked for Glen Johnson #SSN

I went to most home games last season and that for me is what I witnessed frequently.
The lad has no balls and was content to play the easy pass and leave Johnson to do the attacking.

He didnt even show for the ball half of the time.

Aspas will be an improvement if we sign nobody else that I am sure of.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby only me » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Kenny Kan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:39 am wrote:NEVER Liverpool material.

Huge Disappointment ,Talent Wise he is one of the best their was ,but if Talent isn't backed up with the Right Menatality then Talent goes down the drain.

When Downing will reflect over his career he will be ashamed of himself ,Has the skill ,the speed the talent to almost do anything ,but being passive and cowardly with no sense of urgency and the will to lead and take responsibility just killed him. I guess some players aren't cut to handle the pressure of the big stage.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Currently have made a profit of £7mil in this transfer window. Plus all the wages saved.
Benny The Noon

Postby redno7 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 pm

well he's offiacially gone then, just seen BBC site with him holding the west ham shirt.

all the best Stuey
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:31 am wrote:

Benny it's not about who signed him, he was just plain sh!te for us.

I read a funny tweet on twitter last night from Sky sports news that was a joke but actually summed him up perfectly. Here it is....

Breaking : Stewart Downing his failed his medical after he stopped running on the treadmill, turned around and looked for Glen Johnson #SSN

I went to most home games last season and that for me is what I witnessed frequently.
The lad has no balls and was content to play the easy pass and leave Johnson to do the attacking.

He didnt even show for the ball half of the time.

Aspas will be an improvement if we sign nobody else that I am sure of.

What if Aspas isn't an improvement and we have Borini impact again ? Last season in Jan BR turned to Downing because it wasnt working - Sterling was burning out , Borini injured so Downing became a starter. I was all for him leaving but only if he was replaced - If Aspas was his replacement then why has Downing played so much pre season time ? This is another money saving exercise I believe because Downing provided an experienced option in the squad if others didnt work out ( as last season showed ). A replacement better arrive soon
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Benny i've said this a few times but will again.

Aspas or whoever Rodgers has earmarked to play in that position doesnt have very big shoes to fill.
Downing was our most ineffective regular starting attacking player.
He scored 7 goals in 2 seasons of football - that's nowhere near good enough if we want to be troubling the top 4 we need far more end product.

Aspas from the little I have seen will get shots off, his finishing looks a bit hit and miss but if he were to play wide right were Dowing played last season I honestly think he will easily outscore him.

On why he has played quite a bit of pre season who knows ?
The most obvious answers are to put him in the shop window whilst giving him some fitness. As an unfit player is not as appealing to the buying club if they have to wait 6 weeks for him to get match fit.
The other thing is his valuation, if he is bombed totally it would possibly mean the buying club will offer even less than what we ended up getting.
The last reason might be the fact that if we couldnt get rid we wouldnt be buying another wide player for the squad, meaning he was playing in a position that Brendan has already earmarked for a new player and not one of the kids.
So effectively a straight swap, with Sterling and Ibe back up to who comes in.

All guesses but I am sure if Rodgers wanted him to still be here for the season then he would be.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby redno7 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:44 pm wrote:. A replacement better arrive soon

spoken like a true modern fan, making your demands  :no
redno7
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion