STEWART DOWNING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redno7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I had high hopes for him when he joined us, looked a good aquisition at first but he never really lit the place up. I remember him for a few magic moments but to be honest he'll be remembered for going a full season with zero goals and zero assists.
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Why the hell play him against Celtic if he is close to leaving ! Our last game before the season should be used for your starting line up for the first game of the season.
Benny The Noon

Postby redno7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:49 pm

I agree, it was a silly move to play him vs celtic
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:23 pm

redno7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:49 pm wrote:I agree, it was a silly move to play him vs celtic

To advertise him?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:26 pm

If the deal was virtually done why does he need advertising ?
Benny The Noon

Postby redno7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:53 pm

they'll of known on Saturday that he was for the medical this week, I'm sure.

Clubs have agreed a fee ? wonder how much it was? £5m or £6m ?
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Cant say that i'm sad to see him leave, but if we start the season with Sterling/aspas as "wingers" i think we will quickly get in trouble.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 am wrote:Sky Sports understands Liverpool midfielder Stewart Downing is set to undergo a medical at West Ham.

The England winger looks set to end a somewhat troubled two-year spell with Liverpool having joined from Aston Villa for around £20million.

The 29-year-old was told last season that he was surplus to requirements by boss Brendan Rodgers, before battling his way into his plans.

But now after just 65 league games for the club, he looks set to depart with West Ham closing in on a deal.

Sky Sports understands that a £5million deal has been agreed and Downing is due in London on Monday to undergo a medical.

Should the deal be finalised, Downing will link up with Andy Carroll - who finalised his permanent move from Anfield earlier this summer.

I think the most unforgivable aspect of his time at Liverpool was that he could have been so much more ,he just simply didn't want it enough.
It sickened me  knowing Downing possessed the ability to beat a man easily but preferred opting repeatedly for the much easier and obviously
less strenuous course of action. 

Never even resembled a reds player.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 am wrote:Sky Sports understands Liverpool midfielder Stewart Downing is set to undergo a medical at West Ham.

The England winger looks set to end a somewhat troubled two-year spell with Liverpool having joined from Aston Villa for around £20million.

The 29-year-old was told last season that he was surplus to requirements by boss Brendan Rodgers, before battling his way into his plans.

But now after just 65 league games for the club, he looks set to depart with West Ham closing in on a deal.

Sky Sports understands that a £5million deal has been agreed and Downing is due in London on Monday to undergo a medical.

Should the deal be finalised, Downing will link up with Andy Carroll - who finalised his permanent move from Anfield earlier this summer.

I think the most unforgivable aspect of his time at Liverpool was that he could have been so much more ,he just simply didn't want it enough.
It sickened me  knowing Downing possessed the ability to beat a man easily but preferred opting repeatedly for the much easier and obviously
less strenuous course of action. 

Never even resembled a reds player.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:13 pm

redno7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am wrote:I had high hopes for him when he joined us, looked a good aquisition at first but he never really lit the place up. I remember him for a few magic moments but to be honest he'll be remembered for going a full season with zero goals and zero assists.

I presume by magic moments you're referring to his ability to disappear during games !!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Can't say I will be sorry to see our Stewie do one............
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:19 pm

mart » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm wrote:Cant say that i'm sad to see him leave, but if we start the season with Sterling/aspas as "wingers" i think we will quickly get in trouble.

Don't worry - we have Borini to come in and have saved money again.

It's fine for Downing to be sold as long as he is replaced.
Benny The Noon

Postby Calum » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 pm wrote:
mart » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm wrote:Cant say that i'm sad to see him leave, but if we start the season with Sterling/aspas as "wingers" i think we will quickly get in trouble.

Yes, I agree, as long as Downing is replaced. Reading this article, I didn't realise the squad is weaker than last season. Sounds like the same story 12 months ago with an outside chance of a Champions League place this season. http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1356?cc=5739
Calum

Postby fivecups » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Calum » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:21 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 pm wrote:

Yes, I agree, as long as Downing is replaced. Reading this article, I didn't realise the squad is weaker than last season. Sounds like the same story 12 months ago with an outside chance of a Champions League place this season. http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/1356?cc=5739

Good article that Calum. Not sure why we're not spending any money. Have FSG decided it doesn't make financial sense to spend big on our team? If so, why didn't they sell Suarez to Arsenal?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Caroll and Downing bought for a combined £55mil, both sold to West Ham for £23mil, pathetic and whoever authorised that sort of spending deserves to be sent to prison for misuse of funds.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 pm

he was never worth what we paid but west ham are getting an absolute bargain for £5mil. whether you rate downing or not he was still worth more than that.
cant wait to see what we are replacing him with  :eyebrow
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion